Notices

Good idea or bad idea.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Good idea or bad idea.

My stress, anxiety and panic is the worst it has ever been. I'm at my absolute lowest. I have been listening to affirmations and mantras on YouTube and I don't know if it is helping.

I think I need a break from reality for a while. So what I want to do is this:
I work overnight tonight. At 5am when I'm done, I'm putting my smartphone in a drawer and not touching it again until Monday night (I need it for my alarm!).
that will be about 38 hrs with no phone.
I'm worried I'm getting screen anxiety because I'm glued to my phone and then at work I work on a computer and I think it's all making me feel worse?

I wanted to try this back in February, but I had an AA sponsor then and she said that I could not, because I had to do meetings and call her.
I just need a break.....has anyone done this?
Old 07-31-2021, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do whatever you feel like will help you, Samantha.

Early sobriety is a very anxious time and I disconnected many times. I hope it helps. . .it's not like you can't turn it back on.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was always worried about doing this as people may need to contact me. I then realised that i can set the phone so that anyone really close that relies on ,me, like my daughter can still call and anyone else it will not ring. So you plug the phone in, put it out the way after setting it up to silent without vibrate and anyone that you want to be able to call you to ring out loud. Google it for your brand of phone. That way you haven't got the worry of anyone that really may need you might not be able to get through. If you have no dependents then turn it off and put it in the drawer.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you're able to do it, I'd say it is a marvelous idea. From an article I read:

Cell phones, and smartphones in particular, have an undeniably addictive quality, earning an entry in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) 5th edition. A review of literature on cell phone addiction, published in Frontiers in Psychiatry, describes cell phone and technology addiction manifesting in one or more of the following ways: choosing to use your device even in "dangerous or prohibited contexts;" losing interest in other activities; feeling irritable or uneasy if separated from your phone; or feeling anxiety or loneliness when you’re unable to send or receive an immediate message. The researchers also find that adolescents and women may be more susceptible to this behavioral addiction.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Limiting screen time is a great idea regardless. I try to do it between 7pm and 6am every day. I have a goal to be screen-free once a week for 24 hours but I haven't managed it consistently yet.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Samantha, if you think your phone and computer are making you feel worse, it's worth a try.

Do you have some ideas for things to occupy you during the rest of the weekend? I hope it goes well.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I turn my phone off some weekends.
Its real helpful for me.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Samantha, if you think your phone and computer are making you feel worse, it's worth a try.

Do you have some ideas for things to occupy you during the rest of the weekend? I hope it goes well.
Honestly I feel like I could sleep for a week!!!!
Old 07-31-2021, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a good idea to me AR

D
Old 07-31-2021, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've deal with anxiety and depression issues myself. Limiting my time on my cellphone has relieve alot of anxiety. I made boundaries like not surfing the internet in the morning checking the news alot of bad news in the morning not a way to start the day. No social media that was a big one. Phones have a place but alot of times its just a big distraction. Just by surfing the web alot of times fills my head with alot of useless information that I was scrolling through to keep distracted on what's going on. Especially with work days no surfing until after lunch. And if I'm surfing it needs a purpose or has to contribute to my recovery. E books , meditation apps, daily journal , SR forums and brain games for fun.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There's no harm in trying it. As Bim said, you can always turn it back on.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by stickyone View Post
I've deal with anxiety and depression issues myself. Limiting my time on my cellphone has relieve alot of anxiety. I made boundaries like not surfing the internet in the morning checking the news alot of bad news in the morning not a way to start the day. No social media that was a big one. Phones have a place but alot of times its just a big distraction. Just by surfing the web alot of times fills my head with alot of useless information that I was scrolling through to keep distracted on what's going on. Especially with work days no surfing until after lunch. And if I'm surfing it needs a purpose or has to contribute to my recovery. E books , meditation apps, daily journal , SR forums and brain games for fun.
this is exactly what I want to do!
Old 08-01-2021, 02:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Samantha

Going to do it. I have one more hr of work, I'm so sleepy I feel like if I get a GOOD 8hrs and get up at 1pm, I'll feel 100 times better. Then I have some games and fun planned with my fiance today and tomorrow, since it's a holiday.
Hopefully I can make it haha.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I removed all the social media and news apps from my phone about 18 months ago. It was interesting to me how many times I reflexively grabbed my phone the first few weeks before I remembered there's not much to do with it to kill time without those apps. I had to find other things to do to kill time. Mindfulness and creative problem solving are my 'go-to' activities now.

I re-added a sports news app about 8 months ago. Its convenient to check the scores, but I don't spend much time on it unless I get stuck in the waiting area at the doctor or DMV for hours.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think for many people, getting away from their smart phones is a very healthy idea. It may take more than that. Addictions are very hard to break, be they alcoholism or smart phones.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I think I've weighed in on your sponsor before, but just for good measure want to say that some people have it all twisted; recovery isn't about dependence - it's about empowerment. At least in my little world, that's what it is! My very favorite adage used by AA is the one on their sobriety chips - "To Thine Own Self be True."

I'm glad you decided to go for it. When I switched to a new phone, I decided to not install any social media, and found that the only thing I 'lost' was access to a constant barage of chatter without filters. I want to know when my daughter is feeling lonely, but I really don't care one bit about what she had for dinner - even less so for people that didn't even speak with me when they knew me in the flesh.

See you Monday!

O