Notices

Finding hope....

Old 07-24-2021, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding hope....

Hi, I am new to the site, I am hoping to find a online source for sobriety support and positive motivational information for the continued rebuilding of my life.
Here is a little about me and where my addiction began.
7 yrs ago I was in a nearly fatal motorcycle accident, that subsiquently took the life I had built and sent it into a spiral of confused chaos, misery, and despair. I woke up not knowing who I was much less what was going on or why I was in so much pain and I couldn't move. Major head trauma , a tube coming out of my head, a bolt sticking out of my leg, my shoulder and arm wrapped up and every rib on my right side broken, and no idea who the people around me were. That was where my addiction started, and where I lost myself. I lost everything I had worked for, divorced and my boys kept from me, my mom passed, and my life was a huge haze, I remarried and that was a huge mistake that took me to the depths of insanity.
I found myself losing all hope and longing for death.
I Have been sober for a little over a year now and I am finally finding myself and rebuilding my life. I struggle with alot of things from the physical part of the accident mobility pain etc. My memory time lines etc from the tbi. I still have a lot of emotional issues from it all, but I'm moving forward and I am staying sober. I have my children back in my life, my best friend and future wife by my side, and I am doing better everyday.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Hi Cviars2, welcome to the boards. It is definitely a supportive group here. Congratulations on your over 1 year sobriety and upcoming nuptials!
Old 07-24-2021, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cviars2.. keep up the hope going... may the universe guide you at these difficult times. Congratulations on one year soberirty
Old 07-24-2021, 01:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm really sorry to hear about your terrible accident. Clearly this has been a difficult time for you. I'm so glad that you have been sober for a year and have your children back in your life. SR is a great place for support and understanding.
Old 07-24-2021, 01:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a horrendous accident you endured, Cviars.

Welcome to SR. This is a great place for support, understanding and encouragement.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Cviars - I'm so happy you found us & shared your story. I'm sorry for all the pain the accident caused you.
I found that opening up here really helped me get - & stay - sober. I had no one in my life who understood my addiction & dependence. Some still say to me, 'Oh, you can just have one drink now & then.' Reading what others have gone through helps me stay vigilant. Talking things over with those who understand helps us to not feel alone.
Congrats on your year of sobriety. I'm very glad you've been able to rebuild your life.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Cviars! I am so pleased you are on the road to recovery (on many levels)! Congrats on your year + sobriety!
Old 07-24-2021, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear of all the trauma man. Sounds really bad. Perhaps better you don't remember exactly what happened. I ride also, have all my life and had a couple accidents early on when I was still drinking. Broken bones only. It's a chance we take for the freedom, but kids and loved ones do alter the equation.

Congrats on pulling things together, and your sobriety. Job well done.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I knew guy with a very similar story. Motorcycle accident. Shattered his leg and pelvis. Lots of surgeries. He became addicted to opioid painkillers. He had a successful demolition business and had a collection of choppers that he built as a hobby. Last I heard, he sold off all the bikes to support his addiction and the business went bust. That was over a decade ago so not sure what became of him. I think he may have gotten married and cleaned up.

Welcome to the site
Old 07-25-2021, 12:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 year sober! 🙏
Old 07-29-2021, 09:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone
Old 07-29-2021, 09:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am thankful that you made it out of that horrible accident. It’s truly a blessing! I read your story and life can hit like a ton of bricks as you have endured. But here you are with some sober time and support from your wife and SR! Your sobriety is already showing the benefits as you have your children back in your life. More blessings will come with more sobriety. Keep it up!
Old 07-29-2021, 09:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and wisdom here.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Great work on 1 year sober!!

Stick around. This place is awesome!