Notices

What have you lost because of alcohol?

Old 07-01-2021, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What have you lost because of alcohol?

What have you lost (so far) because of alcohol?

Hopefully a list will hammer the point home.

Old 07-01-2021, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi owen.

Lots of money, of course. The respect & confidence in me that people once had (hopefully now restored). My first marriage, due to both of our drinking - a tragic loss I'll regret forever.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

30 plus years of being the man I should have been.

Alcohol will never take another thing from me again
Old 07-01-2021, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by owen90 View Post
What have you lost (so far) because of alcohol?

Hopefully a list will hammer the point home.
How would a list of what I lost to alcohol get you sober if what you've lost hasn't done it for you?

I'd rather share what sobriety has given me. I will keep an eye out for that post.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Owen,

While in active addiction, I think the most important thing I lost was myself.

What I have lost will not help you get or stay sober. What I have gained will not help you get or stay sober.

You have to want to be sober, put in the work, and start the journey to recover from what you have already lost in the hopes you do not lose anything more.

I can tell you as I approach 4 years, my life continues to get better. I am more aware of myself and others. My worst day sober is far better than my best day drunk.

Be well,
DC

Old 07-01-2021, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Myself, including my dignity and self respect. But I can tell you I’m back now that I’m sober and can be proud of myself and I will never let that stuff drag me down again
Old 07-01-2021, 09:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll tell you what I've gained. About 30kg in weight.
I used to be relatively fit and healthy, now I'm out of breath going up a set of stairs.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I lost my will to live at the end there. Those emotions and that frame of mind really set the ball rolling into getting sober.
Money was lost. A friendship. My self worth. Esteem. Confidence. Lots of days lost to hangovers when I could of been productive. My fighting spirit was buried under bottles of wine.

What I have gained?
Self respect. A will to live. A life I am proud of. Love for myself and others. Motivation. Determination. Success on a personal level. Success on a professional level. A harmonious family life. Clarity. A daily reprieve from active alcoholism. A firm belief in the power I have (we all have) to change our lives and raise our life condition. Positivity. A community of loving respectful people who support me. Truth. Physical strength.
Emotional strength. Mental strength. A true happiness that is not swayed by external circumstances. I've gained a new perspective. There is so much more but I don't want to write you all a novel
Old 07-01-2021, 10:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Enough to get me sober which I’m ever grateful for 🙏
Old 07-01-2021, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

I didn't lose anything...I gave away a lot due to my alcoholism.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I try and keep my eye's looking out of the windshield. That's what Steps 4 - 10 and the serenity prayer are for, if I focused all the time on what I've lost I'd still be drinking and not being the best me I can be today. It's all about right now for me because that's all you have the past is gone and the future is unsure.....so be here now...
Old 07-01-2021, 10:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Self-respect
Belief in my own goodness
Interests and hobbies
Experiences......especially holidays
Health and fitness
etc etc etc
Old 07-01-2021, 10:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I lost my self respect and the respect of my daughters, but now that's all built back up. One of the biggest and best tools in my sobriety toolbox is Gratitude.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Drinking was just a symptom for me, i can f*** things up perfectly well without any booze at all. However i do know people very well where booze was the driving factor for them to lose or almost lose everything.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think I might understand why you may be asking. When I first truly woke up (after lots of tries) to the reality of abusing alcohol for years, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and all of the things that might have been different. I read posts by others who were trying to contemplate the losses like crazy - for me it helped me feel like I wasn't alone, and others were making it through that, so why couldn't I? In time, I began looking out the front window most often, rather than the rearview mirror (to quote a recent weekenders theme). But I just needed a bit of time to reflect before I got there. I agree with others that we do need to get to futures thinking at some point, though, because that's where the tools for sobriety can make a difference. Hang in there! Trust that what you will gain will eventually outweigh the losses!
Old 07-01-2021, 11:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I nearly lost my life but but somehow am now firmly in recovery. Institutionalisation, imprisonment or death is the endpoint for us if we keep drinking. Is that motivation enough?

Regards, Forwards.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

About 15 years of my life.

But I consider myself lucky. Since I stopped drinking at the start of 2019, my life has spiralled out of control but in a good way. I’ve become a person who people actually like! I wasn’t used to that as a drinker. Meanwhile, a friend of my wife is only a few years older than me - and I’d say drank less than me - and has alcohol-related cirrhosis. It’s game over unless a donor liver can be found. They have to go to hospital every week to have their abdomen drained or they’ll blow up like a balloon. No quality of life, and this was all down to alcohol.

I had a liver scan, and it was normal but at the very high end of. I reckon I was two or three years from having cirrhosis myself. Now at the age of 51, I retrained as a school teacher and am out and about doing triathlons (slowly) while the person I mentioned above can only wish they’d stopped like I did.

You’re not alone in asking this question, Owen. It took years of health warnings on TV and horror stories similar to the one above before I attempted to quit. Best thing I did and best thing you’ll do.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Freedom
Old 07-01-2021, 01:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It has taken me a while, but I prefer to look through the lens of the things I have gained by being sober. Looking to the past as a learning tool is important, but for me the consequences of my drinking were not enough in themselves to keep me sober. And certainly I had many consequences and lost opportunities, but they all eventually fade just enough to let your addiction tell you that it's OK to just have a couple again. Making a true commitment to never drink again, and then focusing on all the potential it provides is my focus now.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"Hopefully a list will hammer the point home."

owen90--

I agree COMPLETELY with the force and necessity of this.