Notices

Recovery timeline

Old 06-19-2021, 06:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Recovery timeline

Might anyone be able to point me in a direction of a day by day, or week by week, month by month recovery timeline that has guided you out of addiction ?

E.g. How are bodies are recovering, healing, struggling, etc ? I dont know what to expect, but all sorts of crazy things are happening 18 days in of consecutive sobriety. I wish I had documented this process in my former attempts.

Never been more serious and motivated...

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AO, I can't answer your question, but I remember those first three months or so being extremely uncomfortable, unable to regulate emotions, having sleep and cognitive problems, aphasia, vertigo, extreme fear/paranoia, and more...

There is a graph/chart called the Jellinek Curve that's posted in AA meetings and it gives a rough timeline. You can find it on Google/images.

It took me almost a year before I really felt at peace, and I was working on it daily with exercise, good nutrition, as much sleep as I could get, reading about recovery, posting here, etc.

Just stay the course. It's worth it.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Check out this book on Amazon. I found it to be a good reference.

The Recovery Book: Answers to All Your Questions About Addiction and Alcoholism and Finding Health and Happiness in Sobriety
Old 06-19-2021, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

We can remove the option for future alcohol consumption , pledge to our truest selves that we quit so hard we are ‘quat’

But we can not remove the consequences of biological and or psychological damage that accrued from addictive addiction, simply by pledge. Good news is that a tremendous amount of those consequences can be ameliorated by medical , nutritional and therapeutic means.

Find every positive you can use to improve and heal the damage caused , but don’t allow the AV to try and tie past actions with future actions . The AV is solely focused on future consumption , healing is entirely about correcting past damage , the cause really has no bearing on solutions.

Don’t allow the narrative to be driven by the AV to suggest that recovery, the state of permanent abstinence , hasn’t occurred because the effects of the damage may still be present.

Assume 100% confidence in your ability to remain abstinent, notwithstanding any healing that is yet to come in mind, body and soul. ( and that healing only has a chance to be realized in that decision)

Congratulations on your decision !

Rootin for ya , as always
Old 06-19-2021, 07:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Yea!!!! AO!!! You got this.

One year, one short year from now you'll be in an entirely different state of mind.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

You are on the same track awareness wise as me, but you are about 70 days ahead.

I didn't know what was going on at 90 days clean, I was just freaking out. "How can I feel this crazy being this clean?"

So, you see that I was pretty messed up, mainly mentally, for about 3 years. Now sitting at over 6 years without a relapse, I am fully aware of what I am dealing with.

My strength physically is still improving. Mentally, I am operating with a heap of normal and am very aware of the fact that I am still pretty jacked up.

The brain damage is permanent, I just got used to what is left. That is why relapse would wipe me out and take me down a new/different hell on earth.

I will end my little therapy session with this: From day 1 there we moments of complete serenity. Those moments get longer and longer and better and better. It is not a miracle, it is science.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AO, you also may find some comfort in the stories of others and their physical/emotional problems in these threads:

For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ht-go-mad.html (For those tortured by PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms) and who fear they might go mad)

There are now Parts I, II, and III.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am about 11 years quit. When I first quit although I couldn't see it at the time, I now can see my brain and body was out of balance for about 18 months. I felt hugely better within a few months but with the benefit of hindsight that improvement continued and leveled off at about 18 months.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

AO, I'm glad you're motivated and good job on 18 days of sobriety.

I didn't document things either, but the first few months, I was all over the place physically and mentally.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This one is great i found it a while ago to help a fellow member:
https://www.verywellmind.com/is-this-normal-how-long-will-it-last-80197
Only a summary on the 4 week period as after x amount off days you are not longer detoxing.
Psychologically expect to be out of sorts for a long time until you address the reasons that you drank through whatever recovery program you choose to use.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/3836936-post1.html ("stages" of recovery)
Old 06-20-2021, 12:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't mean to sound flip but don't think or worry about it. It's going to take time. We didn't get here [drunks] in say 23 days, it took years or at least it did for me. Easier said then done I know, right.
Don't drink now and take what you get. Life will get better.

If you think there's a medical issue call your doctor.
Good Luck

Old 06-20-2021, 05:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Thanks everybody !

Even though this is my zillionth attempt at sobriety, its going to be my last.

I'm throwing everything, including the kitchen sink at it.

Now that I no longer have the main excuse I had (NPD mother is finally dead) I know that this is my time. My time to put all the energy and love I gave away so freely, into MYSELF.

I'm going to stay very close to this anchor, and I will spend the majority of my early sober time focusing on repairing the damage, while also creating new and healthier ways to support myself.

Curious if anyone found any luck with supplements eg GABA, l-tyrosine, etc) ?
Old 06-20-2021, 06:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Recovery timelines are different for everyone, I suppose.
Mine went like this:

Month one: A complete mess

Month two: A bigger mess than month one

Month three: Feeling less messy and more comfortable

Month four: Chop wood and carry water and stay the course while resting at the bottom of a mountain.

Month five: Take out binoculars and map out the course of the Mountain I am climbing. Double knot my shoelaces because the trek is never ending and I need these boots to stay put and not cause any issues like tripping over myself ....

Month six: A lot of climbing and changing gears and breathing deeply but happy about it. Super happy to have made it up so much of the mountain. I feel at peace and can walk forever.

Month seven: This is not bad at all. I'm honoring all aspects of myself. Structured. Feel relieved. Feel determined and hopeful. I notice the changes and they are positive. I am stronger. I am happy.

Month eight: Continue to chop wood and carry water with hope, determination and structure. Earn the Brownie Badge for perseverance. Feel like a skilled mountain climber. In fact, I have walked on some very nice spots with good scenery and peace. Meadows of wild flowers. There is more to see and do. Ill continue walking. Resting. Breathing. Hoping. Putting 100% into each day and see where it leads. I am no longer an active alcoholic. I am very grateful.
Old 06-20-2021, 07:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great metaphors, Mizz!

AO, congrats on 18 days - almost three weeks! You will feel better rapidly, but there will be some confusion, lost thoughts and forgotten words during the first 90 days.. then a lower level of that up to six months. Try not to get frustrated with it.

I have often struggled/relapsed just past 90 days - just as things were getting better mentally and emotionally. Feeling good - why not just one or two? Bad move. It is also very important to eat healthy, nutritious food and get plenty of hard aerobic exercise, which is really beneficial to the brain.

I almost always find that other behavioral compulsions and/or addictions become stronger whenever I quit drinking, so be on guard. As part of that, I also find that it is important not to jump into too many 'new and exciting' things, as the relatively unregulated emotions overwhelm me and I want to drink to mute them. Better to just "chop wood and carry water" as Mizz describes the task of early recovery so well.

Wishing you luck, stay vigilant and post daily on your progress - it really helps us to keep focused.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Mizz did a beautiful job capturing my journey as well.

Early days—like first two months—I struggled with insomnia quite a bit, waking up with racing thoughts and emotional discharges like sadness, fear, and anger. I cried quite a bit—I also got some massage and sometimes the therapist would find some knot in my body I had parked some negative emotion as congested tension and when they broke it loose, I also would cry, feel angry, etc. and that actually helped release in a healthy way much I had been carrying since childhood.

Some days in the first three months into sobriety I woke up either feeling hung over or feeling that “residual buzz” when you drank too late or to get back to sleep. I also detoxed in all the expected ways for several months physically—plenty of sweat, herbal tea, exfoliation of skin, sunshine and extra sleep (including napping, which I never was able to do easily) really helped.

Past the six-month mark, I did see more wildflower meadows and feel increasing peace. That’s when I knew it was worth the climb. My foolishness over the years has been looking down into that dark valley of relapse—This has been my on-going mistake—why do I keep climbing down the mountain I worked so hard to climb up?

My advice for that is don’t look down or backwards with any nostalgia towards the drink.

Just keep moving forward and upwards because your life depends on it, and you deserve a good life.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

AlphaOmega, so good to hear that you have begun your final sober journey. However long, and no matter how you ge there,, the reward at the end is worth the time and all of the effort.

Great responses above and I don’t have much to add but I will say that the six month point was a major turnaround for me as I found gratitude for my sobriety in and of itself. I didn’t know much about ‘recovery’ at that time and how truly wonderful that was going to be. Recovery takes just as much effort as sobriety does with all of the self-examination, self-awareness and self-change that it involves; the Recovery process is life-changing.

With you, alphaomega, on your journey.

Old 06-20-2021, 09:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey AO, Just answering your question about GABA, I tried It years ago at the beginning of my 7 year stint and a little while after I took it My head and neck would get really itchy and I would become short of breath so I quit taking it. So I looked it up and some people have that reaction and others do not.
Old 06-20-2021, 10:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Here's my experience, for what it's worth: My journey was unlike any others'. That's not because I'm any more special than anyone else - I'm just not anyone else. In the end, I sort of buckled in for the ride and went with whatever it was going to be. No one could have predicted with any certainty the lessons I was going to learn, and those who did were just dead wrong. And that's ok because I learned the things that I needed to learn.

Two reminders that have helped me throughout the past year plus something:
- I Never Drink Now
- Remember, you're recovering, and that takes a long long time.

I'm so glad you finally got that kitchen sink out of the house - it was nasty.

xo
O
Old 06-22-2021, 06:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Might anyone be able to point me in a direction of a day by day, or week by week, month by month recovery timeline that has guided you out of addiction ?
I certainly can't. I could probably write out a description of my own timeline, but I can't for anyone else. It's different for everyone. What I can say is that if you keep at it, things will continue to keep getting better. I think it is important to enjoy the process, and take some time to be grateful. I think this is more important than checking to make sure you are on a schedule.