Notices

Cocaine user want to quit

Old 06-12-2021, 03:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cocaine user want to quit

Never been on a forum before but looking for help and reassurance, im 25 been using cocaine for 2 years twice a week usually the weekends. Had a really bad experience this weekend and enough is enough. Would like to get fit and healthy im just worried if i start running or joggin if the effects of using cocaine for two years on a regular bases without doing much exercise could i have a heart attack trying to get fit?
Old 06-12-2021, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery. It's against forum rules to give medical advice. If you are concerned about a heart attack, it's a doctor you need to talk to.

If you are addicted to cocaine, it's going to take more than exercise to get you clean. You could hold off on the exercise for a little while and focus on a program that will address the addiction. Once you've been off of it a while, you could then look at improving your fitness.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to Sober Recovery. It's against forum rules to give medical advice. If you are concerned about a heart attack, it's a doctor you need to talk to.

If you are addicted to cocaine, it's going to take more than exercise to get you clean. You could hold off on the exercise for a little while and focus on a program that will address the addiction. Once you've been off of it a while, you could then look at improving your fitness.
i feel i could quit and focus on recovery by switching to fitness instead of going out and getting wasted at the weekends, just wondered if anyone else has been in the same boat, talking to a doctor is completely not an option for me.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ukanon View Post
i feel i could quit and focus on recovery by switching to fitness instead of going out and getting wasted at the weekends, just wondered if anyone else has been in the same boat, talking to a doctor is completely not an option for me.
Exercise is a good place to start that's the easy part. The mental side of addiction is when the work needs to be done. I have worked out through my entire addiction I look great on the outside but was broken on the inside. Yes change in your lifestyle choices will help in the path of recovery especially staying away from triggers and environment that is making you put these deadly drugs in your body. Only a doctor will know the damage you have sustain to your heart. You said that a doctor is not a option ? Is it cause insurance or a pride thing? If it's pride it takes a stronger person not hide from this and see a doctor.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome

No one can really answer your heart attack question but your doctor, so if you're not going to consult them, common sense says take it easy, at least at first.

A lot of folks want an addiction to exercise to replace their addiction to their drug of choice, but what if you injure yourself, or the gyms close again? what then?

What if your mates call on a Friday night asking you out - are you really going to go to the gym instead?

You may have to dig a little deeper to root this addiction out Ukanon?
D
Old 06-12-2021, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Were you snorting it or freebasing?
Old 06-12-2021, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We are not sure if you would have a heart attack. I sure hope not.

As for running....I would start off slow. Take it easy. Walk and jog for a set time and then ease off. It takes a lot of time to build up and learn how to be a runner/ jogger. Its worth the effort but the initial phase requires dedication and perseverance. You can do this. Congrats on stopping your cocaine addiction. We are here for support.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with others about seeing doctor about ok to exercise. Maybe addictions doctor who won't be judgemental? As with a lot of things doctor's ok is often needed before undertaking exercise. Gyms sometimes require them before starting out.

If you really can't see a doctor I'd start out easy and build up.

It was only last weekend you had the "bad experience", why not rest up a bit, go for a walk, eat healthy, hydrate. All these things are good for your heart. Prepare.

And keep posting here with the trials and tribulations of getting clean.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Were you snorting it or freebasing?
only ever snorted
Old 06-13-2021, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you stopped using?
Old 06-13-2021, 07:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Have you stopped using?
yes completely
Old 06-13-2021, 12:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If someone was talking about another person, say his name is Booby. Bobby has snorted 3 grams of coke twice a week for two years and is now 25 years old. If Bobby would go to a doctor and ask if he ois ok to start exercising the doctor would say of course Bobby is fine to start so long as he, like everyone else starting exercise, builds themselves up and doesn't try sprinting 5 miles on the first day. Bobby would be applauded for making a change to his lifestyle. However if Bobby is not being truthful and has been doing much more coke than this a week then the doctor would be very concerned.
Old 06-14-2021, 01:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scd619x View Post
If someone was talking about another person, say his name is Booby. Bobby has snorted 3 grams of coke twice a week for two years and is now 25 years old. If Bobby would go to a doctor and ask if he ois ok to start exercising the doctor would say of course Bobby is fine to start so long as he, like everyone else starting exercise, builds themselves up and doesn't try sprinting 5 miles on the first day. Bobby would be applauded for making a change to his lifestyle. However if Bobby is not being truthful and has been doing much more coke than this a week then the doctor would be very concerned.
I wouldn’t even say bobby would hit 3 grams ever week maybe only 1.5 over two days, sometimes only 1
Old 06-14-2021, 07:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well it's good your trying to stop now before it gets out of control, and it will get out of control if you keep using it's just the nature of the beast. If your going to start an exercise program just start slow don't go to the park tomorrow and sprint a 440 you know?
Old 06-14-2021, 11:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Quantities don't play such a big role in the end. It's the stopping that's the athlete. Your health will improve as a direct result even though no easy to begin.

Just take it slow Ukanon.

I hope you continue to post.