Notices

Holistic Healing of the Stressed Brain

Old 05-28-2021, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holistic Healing of the Stressed Brain

For those interested in the physiology of stress and anxiety (including what we impose on ourselves in addiction) and its so-called psychological symptoms, this is a nice video explaining some important basics. It doesn't talk about addiction directly, but very relevant -you will see when the speaker explains the role of the brain's frontal lobe in regulating inhibition, motivation and im/balance. Achieving better brain health is certainly what we all strive for in recovery, especially early on, but it is also a very worthwhile life-long goal IMO. Don't be mislead by the title of the video, it's much more informative and goes beyond just anxiety.

I would also recommend the whole Youtube channel of this guy to anyone interested in holistic approaches to wellbeing based on solid information and debunking myths. I think he has an excellent way of explaining things.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Brain health is of great importance to me because I am not only an alcoholic but bipolar as well. I’ve been working on myself for several years now ever since I finally accepted the bipolar diagnosis which had been on my chart for many years, at least 10, before I finally was willing to accept it and trace the role of bipolar disorder all the way back to my childhood.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Getting ready to watch the video. Thanks.

After this time sober I am feeling fairly brain ok.

Things don't always go may way, I have stressors (e.g. getting cut off in traffic for no reason grrr...) but I am getting better at dealing with them and moving forward.

I definitely needed help help help my first couple of years and I took advantage of all that I could find minus meds.

OMG...last night I woke up choking on stomach juice. I ate very spicy lasagna, pizza, chicken parm, salad, and desert. The seasoning sent me to a place I only remember from my drinking days...waking up gagging from not breathing.

I am in a bit of shock this am.

Great reminder of what awaits if I relapse.

Coffee time!

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I enjoyed it, he presented everything so well. I'll definitely watch more of him. Thank you for sharing!
Old 05-30-2021, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is another inspirational Youtube channel I like with many good tips for lifestyle and positive mental attitudes, how to increase satisfaction. This particular video is especially meaningful for me because it speaks about a particular feature I had issues with, especially when much younger - the different sides of the abilities and challenges coming with a human brain. I also definitely experience the apparent difficulty to reconcile high ambition and happiness in the moment he speaks about. I think the people who recognized the importance if gratitude in the moment will probably like what he has to say, too . I picked that up many years ago and gratefulness is sort of automatic for me now, but it's always remember how we have the mental power to construct a big part of our reality and happiness.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks!