Notices

Alcohol free gin

Old 05-23-2021, 08:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't think there is anything wrong with alcohol free Gin/wine/beer etc . For me I just don't like them. What I liked about drinking alcohol was the 'burn' at the back of the throat and the sting, or bitterness. So alcohol free drinks just don't do that for me - Tonic water or soda water and lime give a good burn and are quite bitter and I make my own concoction from fresh ginger, cloves, lemon and other spices - that is delicious, it burns, and it tastes adult and even better has zero calories. I have bought alcohol free wine which tastes awful until I add a tea bag ( for the tanin drying affect) and chilli - my husband even drinks it and sort of likes it!
Old 05-23-2021, 12:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I read above about someone on a lot of alcohol free wines each week. I can’t say that sounds healthy either.

I must admit I used alcohol free beer as a crutch after I quit. I comically packed about 30 cans into a suitcase for a trip to Asia. Thing is, the news came through that my dad died, and that’s going to test anyone who’s 8 months sober. My Asia stash was hit hard that night. If I hadn’t have packed it, there was plenty of the real stuff available. Who knows what I’d have done.

Nearly two years on, and I’ve lost the taste for alcohol free beer too. I’ll have one if I’m out, but I don’t crave for it. For me, it helped with my transition from drunk to sober. I appreciate, though, that’s just me, and if someone’s drinking cans and cans every week, they’ve got a problem.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
I read above about someone on a lot of alcohol free wines each week. I can’t say that sounds healthy either.

I must admit I used alcohol free beer as a crutch after I quit. I comically packed about 30 cans into a suitcase for a trip to Asia. Thing is, the news came through that my dad died, and that’s going to test anyone who’s 8 months sober. My Asia stash was hit hard that night. If I hadn’t have packed it, there was plenty of the real stuff available. Who knows what I’d have done.

Nearly two years on, and I’ve lost the taste for alcohol free beer too. I’ll have one if I’m out, but I don’t crave for it. For me, it helped with my transition from drunk to sober. I appreciate, though, that’s just me, and if someone’s drinking cans and cans every week, they’ve got a problem.
If you have a serious alcohol use disorder and the goal is to stop drinking alcohol it is irrelevant how you achieve that goal. As with smoking if you need a vape to stop smoking then anyone who is not mental would tell you that it is amazing you have quit smoking tobacco. It would be easy for a non smoker to say how it sounds like vaping is an unhealthy choice though.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you have a serious alcohol use disorder and the goal is to stop drinking alcohol it is irrelevant how you achieve that goal.
Its relevant if the method you use to try and stop drinking leads you back to drinking, as it did in my case.
Originally Posted by Me
My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?

D

Old 05-23-2021, 03:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I’m glad you had a good time with friends. My drink of choice is definitely sparkling water with lime when out for dinner, or at a family party.