Notices

Back after a long time

Old 05-12-2021, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back after a long time

Hi there.

I haven’t been here in a long time. I had more than 6 months sober back in 2019, and then started drinking “socially” — only once in a while.

Needless to say, things went downhill. I started drinking a bottle of wine a night every night after work, and this has lasted for the last 3 months.

I have three and a half weeks sober at the moment, but am still feeling tired and nauseous. I didn’t feel any nausea until I was sober for two weeks. I’m wondering if feeling queasy this long after the last drink is normal?
Old 05-12-2021, 04:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Not usually. It may have nothing to do with not drinking. Get your annual checkup even if it’s early so you can set a baseline for your body.

It sounds like you’re ready to STAY STOPPED.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The answer is see a Dr. What I experienced or any advice of what I dealt with etc. might not help you or worse.

In my experience...

I was a total mess for a long long long time after I quit. The only way to ease the suffering seemed to be relapse, but I knew that was going to make things worse in the long run.

So I suffered and suffered. I still suffer. I suffered today. I had anxiety from work and driving home. Dealing with traffic gives me stress because I had hellish issues with driving in my early days.

But, I suffer through and then I am ok eventually.

I am pretty good now, except I am a bit full from my weird dinner.

It took a long long long time, but now after work I look forward to just getting home and relaxing. It is relaxing.

Hang in there! That is an AA saying.

Easy does it. Same thing.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Really great you've stopped drinking Alice. "Social" always failed for me too. Good to have that knowledge and have it imbed. Only onwards from this point.

Best bet is to see your doctor about nausea, it could be anything. I've experienced nausea from anxiety. I've always seen the doctor tho.

I hope you continue to post.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 weeks, that is really fantastic! I would suggest seeing a doctor about the nausea. It could be many things, possibly completely unrelated.. probably nothing serious but def get it checked out.

Steely is right, could be anxiety.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! Three weeks sober is a great start. Do you have a plan to stay sober? Posting and reading here could be part of a good plan.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

3 weeks - something to be so proud of. It's so good to have you back with us, Alice.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Alice, glad you are here. I personally had a lot of GI issues that persisted for quite a while after I first quit. The drinking was the main culprit i'm sure, but I had a horrible diet ( or lack thereof ) for a long time too. Getting some healthy food into my system itself was kind of a shock in itself I think. There's also the possibility that you might just have a stomach bug of some kind too, if it doesn't improve you can always get it checked out.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you've been struggling, but welcome back Alice.
It might be that the nausea is related to something else?

D
Old 05-12-2021, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It’s post’s like these that always remind me I can’t be a social drinker... EVER... sometimes I start to think I can and when I see posts like this I remember what path that will lead me on. Welcome back! I did feel quite “off” after I quit drinking but it is slowly getting better. I’m coming up on five months and my energy levels are still crap. But like everyone here says see your doctor. I did. Did some tests turns out everything is okay and probably some residual from drinking but always better safe then sorry
Old 05-12-2021, 06:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, I'm glad to see you. 3 1/2 weeks of sobriety is great!
Old 05-12-2021, 07:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

AMAZING! Getting through those first few weeks is such a beast.
Keep on moving forward and also see a Dr if that nausea does not clear up.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3.5 weeks sober!
Old 05-13-2021, 12:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome on 3 weeks!! Well done!! I’m 25 days and feel exhausted. I get nauseous but think it’s related to what I eat and my anxiety. I agree with others get it checked to be sure. I’m going to get my bloods all checked so I know it’s just related to my quitting alcohol and I know it’s nothing else to worry about

I definitely can’t be a social drinker. I’m the same and end up drinking at least a bottle of wine nightly to myself. I keep reminding myself to avoid that first drink as that’s the one that gets me drunk

Glad to have you with us!! Xx
Old 05-13-2021, 04:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. I’ll be staying sober and checking back here from now on.

I had my annual physical just four months ago, and everything seems fine except for a vitamin d deficiency.

I do worry a lot about the long-term damage I’ve done. Especially worried about my liver. Dr. Google seriously stresses me out.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh, yeah. Doc Google is not a good place to frequent.

Livers are just one of the many problems, but don't borrow trouble. Just stay sober and keep doing the right things like eating well, getting a little exercise and sleeping 8 hours. The human body is pretty amazing!

Glad you're back on the sober side.