Notices

Day 18 ‘No wine today ?’ asks shopkeeper ! :-(

Old 04-13-2021, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 18 ‘No wine today ?’ asks shopkeeper ! :-(

So I went to my local supermarket to do a shop for heathy things ... fruit, veggies, fish etc. As the guy on the till was ringing it all up he asked ‘No wine today ?’. I. WAS. MORTIFIED ! That is clearly how he sees me .. and rightly so. I’d go in there sometimes twice a day, often drunk, sometimes at 8.00am to buy wine. And that is how I am perceived. If anything is going to make me knock booze on the head once and for all, it is that comment ! So, maybe he did me a favour!
Old 04-13-2021, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah. People notice.

Good job on 18 days, ICDT. Keep doing it.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As weird as that must have felt this is an opportunity for change.

I am now the lemon flavored person. Lemon pie, lemonade, lemons......
Someone once said "You have a citrus thing!" In my mind it is better than a Wine thing or a hard liquor thing......

I think I am going to switch it up and buy all Strawberry goods. Strawberry fizzy water, strawberries, strawberry cheesecake, strawberry ice cream ( I dont eat Ice Cream but Ill buy it just to stick with the program) This will surely get some commentary on the items I am purchasing which is not any persons business to comment on in the first place!

YOU ARE DOING WONDERFUL! Keep on moving FORWARD!
Old 04-13-2021, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Mizz ! That REALLY got to me ! :-(
Old 04-13-2021, 06:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Icandothis2013 View Post
Thanks Mizz ! That REALLY got to me ! :-(
Yes. I understand and do know this kind of commentary.
I experienced it myself from a coworker a few years back. It hits the core.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sigh - I know this experience so well. One of my favorite threads on this site was something like Memories of the Liquor Store Cashier. It's such a singulair and visceral experience for all of us. Congratulations on another day of sobriety and thank you for sharing.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, I remember that thread ... but I can’t find it now. If anyone can find it and repost the link, I’d be grateful !
Old 04-13-2021, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I always thought store clerks wouldn't notice me, but I'm sure they did.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Memories of the Liquor Store Cashier" thread:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-cashier.html (Memories of the liquor store cashier)
Old 04-13-2021, 11:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I often would head to my local liquor store and the clerk would try to continue a conversation with me from the night before, but I would have no recollection. Or once I returned to a store and they threw me out right away, I had no idea of what caused that. But I’m sure it was a doozy.

Today if I bought alcohol the clerks would probably be surprised. I plan to keep it that way.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Caramel.
That truly is an excellent post!
Old 04-13-2021, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don;t be mortified ICDT
Old 04-13-2021, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't be mortified ICDT - be proud you're turning things around

D
Old 04-13-2021, 02:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

I avoided my liquor store and like over a year went by and I wanted some Mountain Dew, but I didn't want to drive the extra time to go to a real store - so I decided, I'm going there. He remembered me. He asked me about it- asked how I quit.

I did the whole let's go to different stores for awhile approach - then I thought - maybe I just go all in to the same store. Why have multiple liquor stores know I'm an alcoholic when I can just have 1 store know and they don't care as long as they get their money. EESSCHHH

Yes, it shows progress. Yes, it can be embarrassing. It is also EMPOWERING! You're there, NOT buying booze. It's good thing! Also-seriously, unless you plan on becoming some best buds with the cashiers - who cares?

I have Rosacea - add that to boozing and I was walking around with really bright red skin all the time. I also go asked about that. I now just have pink cheeks because quitting drinking helped my skin out a lot. So I get asked about that too - what's your secret? I quit drinking! Anyways - like Dee said, be proud.

Mizz- what a hilarious thing to do - switching it up from Lemons to strawberries - I like it!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Similar has happened to me. It's so embarrassing.

It's good to know it can never happen to me again now that I'm sober.

Switch it up Mizz. 🍓

Yay, for fruit.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yikes! That must’ve been upsetting, but the shopkeeper was only saying what anyone else was thinking. I doubt it was meant in a nasty way.

I once worked in a hot asian country and there was a type of workshop and bizarrely there was a fridge full of beer, cans of which were for sale at a ridiculously low price.

The locals soon got to know me obviously and whenever I approach that workshop, at least one of them got up to get beer from the fridge even if I was there for a work reason! Looking back now, that’s terrible. I was seen as a drinker first and foremost.

it’s a tricky one. Drinkers get self conscious about such things and start to go to different shops. I never quite got to that stage and think it’s a dangerous step.

Oh and tell that shopkeeper you don’t drink anymore.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yikes! That must’ve been upsetting, but the shopkeeper was only saying what anyone else was thinking. I doubt it was meant in a nasty way.

I once worked in a hot asian country and there was a type of workshop and bizarrely there was a fridge full of beer, cans of which were for sale at a ridiculously low price.

The locals soon got to know me obviously and whenever I approach that workshop, at least one of them got up to get beer from the fridge even if I was there for a work reason! Looking back now, that’s terrible. I was seen as a drinker first and foremost.

it’s a tricky one. Drinkers get self conscious about such things and start to go to different shops. I never quite got to that stage and think it’s a dangerous step.

Oh and tell that shopkeeper you don’t drink anymore.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As i descended into keeping/having to keep a 24/7 buzz going from straight Vodka out of 3 stashed 1.75 L 'Handles', managing that Supply took some planning. I rotated among several Stores nearby, and it was this Drunkard's Dream when Colorado also allowed Sunday Sales some Years back.

I headed out to the local Dog Park after some Grocery Shopping, Any excuse in Early Retirement to get out the House. Usually with a Coffee Tumbler full of Red Wine as a lil warm-up. Hit the Liquor Store adjacent to the Grocery at 8:30 A.M. for a Handle of 'Fireball' Cinnamon Whiskey. Cuz Cinnamon covers up the Whiskey stench, right? The Cashier from China started to ring me up. She snatched the Handle back, and barked 'we no sell to People who smell like Booze'! I mumbled some BS about having a Stomach issue that caused that odor, and slunk out the Door. Went to another Store to buy. Stood way back from the Cashier. Clever SOB that I was, eh?

Yah, that was one of many Eye-openers, and I slid even further downhill from there before calling it quits in January 2014. Dry Heaving in the Shower in the Morning because I couldn't even keep Water down. Fresh Blood in the Toilet. Shakes beyond any control, save swilling a few Vodka 'glugs' on the QT. Zilch memory of recent activities. Like, what I had for Dinner only a few Hours earlier. You name it. When 80 Proof Booze no longer cut it, I ramped up to swilling 105 Proof Booze. Insanity.

The good news? You don't ever have to face this situation again, ICDT. Dig deep. To not face this raging weirdness ever again is one of many Epiphanies I'm immensely grateful for after 42 Years of increasing Intoxication.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This brought back a different memory for me. In my early 20’s (1979-81), I worked for a major supermarket chain here in So Cal. I stocked products in the general merchandise sections, very early in morning. Like all employees you see the regular customers because you are on the floor working when they visit. A no brainer.

We had an “older” guy and gal who came in as soon as we opened at 6:00am. He had the big jug of Gin and she had the Vodka. I didn’t even drink back then, and I truly didn’t “get” why they needed it first thing. Of course, the decades went by and I became an alcoholic myself.

I hadn’t thought of this couple till the OP posted... I wonder if they ever found sobriety??
😟😟

Bobbi