Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Poll: Do you utilise a fellowship-based recovery peer group such as AA/Lifering/Smart Recovery?

Notices
View Poll Results: Do you currently utilise fellowship-based peer support groups?
No, I go it alone apart from Sober Recovery
50.88%
Not currently, but have done in the past
17.54%
Yes - AA
22.81%
Yes - Lifering
1.75%
Yes - Smart Recovery
3.51%
Yes - Combination of different groups and/or other group not named (please mention)
3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do you utilise a fellowship-based recovery peer group such as AA/Lifering/Smart Recovery?

Old 04-07-2021, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am curious as to what % of the active membership here also use formal fellowship-based peer group support.

Please only answer the poll if you are currently sober from alcohol and other intoxicating substances (excepting medically prescribed) for at least 28 days.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a group of other attorneys and judges that I regularly meet with. Zoomed with the group the last year but those fully vaxxed now getting back together in person. The legal profession FULL of addicts. We do not follow a set of principles like AA or SmartRecovery. We let it flow where it flows.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Surrendered. That's interesting about the group of legal professionals in recovery. I did suspect there were such ad hoc groups.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not like I use to but I still go to AA. I think SR is a 21st century way to try and carry the message.

90 meetings in 90 days just wasn't feasible for the schedule I had when I was new. I was "functioning " and trying not to let the roof fall in on what was left of my life. I hit like 70 something meetings in my first 90. More then I thought I could.

Its not for everyone but that's the way that I got sober. I got completely overwhelmed with meetings. I quickly learned where there was a meeting each night. I got a sponsor and worked the steps.

I've gone to out of state meetings on vacation. I've even explored my own state a little bit. I think more and more AA meetings will be available as we get over this pandemic nonsense. I know the importance of the program of AA but I think the fellowship can be very valuable. Its great knowing there is always (almost always as we recently learned) a place that we can go. Knowing we don't have to be alone and pretty much every night in every town there is a place we can go. A place that will take us in.

For the newcomer, get to the meeting, hang out a little before, attend meeting, hang out after, maybe go out with people for dinner/coffee after or not, get home from meeting. That's one easy way to get through a night without drinking. For me the nights without drinking started piling up .

Old 04-07-2021, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, one of the good things about AA is the worldwide aspect. I used to go to AA meetings and even found a great meeting at a church in the Philippines. Had a nice mix of expats and locals so I went every week.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've gone to AA in the past, but my program of recovery is now just SR, and that's enough for me. In the beginning I also saw an addiction counselor but not anymore.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All good stuff. No single right way though I am an advocate of AA. Not exactly by the book, but so much great development for me over the years.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Whatever leads to being sober and being happy about being sober is all that matters. There are many ways to reach the same destination and all it really takes is honesty, open-mindedness and willingness in my experience. I have always used a combination on AA and SR. I am very grateful to SR as that has been a huge part of my recovery since the very beginning. Ultimately one needs to hit the point where they want to truly be sober more than they want the escape of being drunk.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I attended a Lifering meeting once in Tucson. The people were great but I live in a rural area about 90 minutes from the meeting. I decided it wasn’t a realistic option. I do stick with SR though. I kind of come and go. If I feel my resolution is slipping I start checking in here right away.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went to AA in the beginning. I usually went to 2 or 3 meetings a week, then after a few years tapered down to my weekly home group meeting. But now I haven't been to a meeting in about 5 years. However, I still log onto this website most days.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think any of these responses apply to me. I used SR and other internet forums. I also attended 10 one on one therapy sessions with an addiction counselor. I did not do any IRL group meetings
Old 04-10-2021, 11:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry I didn't read the instructions, am too new to have answered! Im only four days in and am only using this board, but am considering a program so appreciate these responses <3
Old 04-11-2021, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do a few online AA meetings a week and I'm still in my aftercare rehab group which is online too currently. But I will be finishing that in the next few months as it runs for
only 2 years. I'll probably still do the odd online AA/ and face to face meeting when they return fully but I don't 'work the programme' per se. I do talk to someone else in solid recovery on the
phone or in person at least once a day and will continue to do so moving forward.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
I do a few online AA meetings a week and I'm still in my aftercare rehab group which is online too currently. But I will be finishing that in the next few months as it runs for
only 2 years. I'll probably still do the odd online AA/ and face to face meeting when they return fully but I don't 'work the programme' per se. I do talk to someone else in solid recovery on the
phone or in person at least once a day and will continue to do so moving forward.
Hi Reid82. Is this Talbot Grove?

I did St Pats 12 week 'Step-Down'. They also have a 2 year aftercare, but I didn't sign up for it as you have to pay €30 or €40 a session.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Hi Reid82. Is this Talbot Grove?

I did St Pats 12 week 'Step-Down'. They also have a 2 year aftercare, but I didn't sign up for it as you have to pay €30 or €40 a session.
Yep, I was in Talbot Grove nearly 2 years ago now. I have heard good things about Pats. That is a crazy price for Aftercare also.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Yep, I was in Talbot Grove nearly 2 years ago now. I have heard good things about Pats. That is a crazy price for Aftercare also.
Yes it's not worth it. The Step Down 'cost' health insurance addiction days, 0.5 days per week, they have an agreement with VHI and some of the other providers. Without health insurance it would have cost €300 per half-day session, so completing all 12 would cost €3,600 in all! Looked at that way, if I didn't have insurance cover I couldn't and wouldn't have forked out for the Step Down.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have participated in group style meetings in the past. I also consider SR itself to be a fellowship - I have met many people here who have supported me over the years and I appreciate it very much.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sortofhomecomin View Post
Yes it's not worth it. The Step Down 'cost' health insurance addiction days, 0.5 days per week, they have an agreement with VHI and some of the other providers. Without health insurance it would have cost €300 per half-day session, so completing all 12 would cost €3,600 in all! Looked at that way, if I didn't have insurance cover I couldn't and wouldn't have forked out for the Step Down.
That would have covered over half the cost of a 30 day treatment for me! My aftercare is free currently due to it being on Zoom thankfully. Normally it is €20 a week so about €2,000 for 2 years of it.
Old 12-14-2022, 09:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nez

I participate in a few different formal/informal recovery fellowship-based peer support groups. I don't say no/never to any recovery because knowledge and varied points of view are power. The opinions of others might smart at times, but it is smart to at least listen to them before honestly evaluating those opinions. My level of freedom is directly rated to my degree of open-mindedness. :~)