Notices

Checking In

Old 04-06-2021, 10:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Checking In

Hey folks, it’s been a bit. I have been talking with an old friend who finally made the decision to check in for evaluation and detox support at the hospital after unsuccessfully trying to taper for about two weeks. Talking with him has helped me remember how little it takes to make that first bad decision. A couple of bad days compounded with not wanting to ask for help and a bout of insomnia could be all it takes to send me back to puking blood and trying to drink away a seizure. So I work at my recovery every day. I watch for self-aggression and dark thoughts. I ask for help when I want to find a quick and easy antidote for discomfort. And I do what I can to help out anyone else who is struggling. So, I guess I just stopped by to let everyone know that I’m still sober, and to let anyone who feels like they can’t get off the merry-go-round know that it’s always possible to start over. Keep the faith friends, and don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job SweatyHands. Good thoughts!
Old 04-07-2021, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One of the things I love about Steps 10-12 of A.A.'s recovery program is that those steps basically build a bunch of early warning systems into my life. Step 10 tells me what to do when "selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear.... crop up"; Step 11 gives me instructions for "upon awakening", when "we retire at night", and "when agitated or doubtful" as I go through the day; Step 12 keeps me connected to others in recovery via sponsorship and meetings.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you SweatyHands and it sounds like you have a good plan in place and lots of self-awareness. I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Update on friend—His labs were not great, but better than expected for someone who has been consuming about 30 drinks per day for 5+ years. The hospital is keeping him for the duration of his detox for observation, just because of the severity of his physical dependence, and then he’s off to a 60 day inpatient program. Good stuff.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

SH, glad your friend is where he can be monitored and treated. Glad to hear from you also, and good to know things are going well for you.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear you are doing ok and your friend is getting the help he needs, SH.

D
Old 04-07-2021, 10:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's awesome that your friend felt comfortable reaching out for help! It's not that hard to fall back into old ways, so good for you that you're not taking it for granted.