Notices

Dealing with triggers

Old 03-30-2021, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with triggers

How do you deal with the moments when youre sober and intent on staying that way when a good old friend comes and states to you \what a wonderful sunny day to have a beer or two, come along\. So how do you prepare yourself for these moments that are threatening to sobriety and nearly always forerun a relapse?

I used to find music a trigger for me to get the urge to drink but somehow I\ve managed to get it out, meaning that whenever I am sober listening to music I do my best to enjoy it and don\t see it as a memory to drunken days. Some hints of drunken feelings may come along with a certain song but they are greatly diminished by the resolve to enjoy the music as it is.

I\ve found a long list of excuses not to go to drunken groups of people, like \I\m sober and not drinking. If they ask why I don\t really feel the need to consider their desire or view why I should drink with them. I just watch my inner urge for the alcohol, and try to notice and detect it. Then I remind myself that I am in recovery and that this is maybe the best thing in life, to get rid of this ailment. It has value. It is real. It is important to remain sober.

Actually it has helped me to try to feel sorry for the people who I see drinking, as in my lifestyle I\m now and again surrounded by active alcoholics. I talk to them daily. It has helped me to just notice how hungover they might appear and the gaps in their reasoning. Trying to not judge but to console and assist if possible.

But the trigger moments, how do you deal with them? Do you have a technique for it such as being aware of your emotions or do you just cope with everything that comes to pass?
Old 03-30-2021, 03:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"So how do you prepare yourself for these moments that are threatening to sobriety and nearly always forerun a relapse?"
When I stopped this time, I was/am really sick and tired of drinking so drinking is not an option and I have no desire to do so.
I don't debate with myself about it and if the urge is to crazy, I get something sweet to eat and that will stop my craving.

YMMV
Old 03-30-2021, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I once read about psychological conditioning once, that relates to addiction. Meaning that, if there is an urge to alcohol or so, I find it better somehow to just let it be and pass, instead of giving it a *reward* such as eating something good in its place. Then again people are different but for me, this passive behaviour has enabled me to remain sober in the past, by not *needing anything* to fit the craving. That\s the gist about the conditioning.

However I find that physical exercise is a great thing to do with cravings, as it brings positive feelings to one\s body, while being something useful it also gives a motivation to go through the day knowing you\ve done or gained something of value. And that strong resolve must be a backbone to keep from taking that first sip of the sinister drug called alcohol. Nice thread, thanks for this.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank all day everyday by the end - literally everything and anything was a trigger by the end.
I just had to commit to doing anything but drinking.

bored? find things to do? stressed? find other ways to relax. Angry, scared? find support and use it - talk through the feelings.

Committing to doing anything but drinking also meant that mates who drank like I did had to learn to drink alone.

Most of those relationships died pretty quickly without the drinking, but those who where real friends - those whose friendship extended beyond a shared addiction to drinking, they respected what I had to do - and those friendships survived.

D
Old 03-30-2021, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

One day at a time works for me. Being sober for the rest of your life is a near impossible task to wrap your head around even for someone who’s not an alcoholic. But in moments of weakness and craving, I remember all I have to do is not drink until I go to sleep. Always feel better in the morning. Not once have I regretted waking up sober and never have I said to myself....boy I wish I drank last night.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Arrow

is this a real post? Dear me consider one without anyone nicotine and some people just rollling up for you... feels like getting away from those ppl. No star DOES.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No I am an enemy of their star system... to mankind an ally... it is really simple.... dear god and and all ravages ughhh....
Old 04-08-2021, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am one human being standing together!!! I don\t do NIC!!!
Old 04-08-2021, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I\ll get some food now... okay...
Old 04-08-2021, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A series of very odd posts. Hope you are okay.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didn’t realize at first that the person making the weird replies was the person who created the original post. Hope you are okay poster?
Old 04-08-2021, 09:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah it was me alright. Someone offered me tobacco when I am being abstinent completely of this dope nicotine. And so... thanks for confirming that I\m a complete nutcase.