Notices

The Alcho Cooking Show.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Alcho Cooking Show.

I've been around here for a while now. Yeah, I'm still drinking, and its probably getting worse. From isolation and loneliness. And post covid its just sunk to new levels of utter boozed gloom. Everything is effed etc etc.
So....I'm trying to start something here that might be good fun.
Thirty meals in 30 days.
Take the challenge and provide a recipe, and we'll all try each other's.
Is american food really that bad? Let's find out.

I cook Asian. I love street food, hawkers. Here's Basil Chilli Chicken, Thai food:
Noodles. Wide egg noodles are best.
Boil the noodles first then untangle them and chuck in cold water to stop them cooking to mush.
Chop up ginger garlic and a hot chilli. Chuck it in with a little fish sauce. A little. Just a bit. It's potent.

Onions are an issue with this kind of cooking. In Aus we get the Asian onions called 'shallots'.
Dunno why they have a French name in Australia. Probably something to do with Vietnam.
They are smaller and sweeter than the usual brown onions, harder to peel tho.

So...all browned up in sesame oil...you chuck them in the bowl that you are gonna eat out of to warm it up.
The Chicken.
Now if you are a hard core Asian cook you probably killed it yourself a couple of hours ago. I got on a bus in Hangzhou, the next lady wanted to bring her live chicken on, the bus driver said no, so she necked it on the spot. Fresh chook. Throw in the dish full of ginger garlic chilli etc. This really is the crucial bit. I've tried patient marination in sauces etc, does not work

Anyway. Cook the chicken in the fresh pan slowly till tender. Then the exciting bit where it all comes together..

Now, you have cut up all the fresh basil, and random green veg earlier so you chuck it all in and cook it hard and fast. Spill it out into a big bowl and its great. The herbs and greens are fresh half raw and crisp. The chicken and noodles are well done. Its a good meal.

Why am I posting this rubbish on a recovery site?
Sick of the downer feel to it all.
So, if anyone else has a recipe, give it a go.
Otherwise I'll bore you all with how to make sushi. How to get the filling in the middle, etc.
i

Old 03-01-2021, 06:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I rarely cooked/made food when I was drinking. Too effed up to care if I ate or not. And when I was drunk, I'd more often than not boil the pans dry.

Now that I'm sober I'm able to cook and not burn the house down.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yum!
Old 03-01-2021, 06:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had to throw out so many burnt pots least.

Good being sober.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you drinking now?
Old 03-02-2021, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posts have been removed.
Kitchen closed for maintenance until further notice

2.Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.

Dee
Administrator
SR