Notices

How do you find support?

Old 02-27-2021, 09:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you find support?

I wish I wasn't drunk. I wish I had a family or at least a friend.
Listening to Tom MacDonald's "I Wish" - so beautiful! I'm crying. My only family has never been supportive - "you scored 99% on that test, what did you miss?" Any failing is interpreted as a moral or personal failing. I drink a lot - weird but if I try to quit I don't have physical withdrawal symptoms but I can't live through a couple of days with myself. I'm definitely an introvert and the thought of opening up in front of strangers terrifies me but I'm starting to realize that this path isn't leading anywhere I want to go.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lascaux

My family was not supportive either and most of my friends at the time drank like I did.
I found support here tho - a ton of it.

I read and posted here every day - others do meeting based things like AA or SMART or lifering...and all those methods are well and truly online with meetings now.

Others use counselors or doctors.

We can;t make our family and friends be any more supportive if they are not - but support is there if you want to look for it.
Whatever kinds of support you decide to look for and use. I think it's important to develop that kind of daily routine.

D
Old 02-27-2021, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can find lots of support right here on SR. Join the Class of March 2021 when Dee starts the thread. Post daily in the 24 hour recovery connections thread in Daily Support forum. Check into the weekenders thread right here on Newcomers.

The support is out there, you just have to avail yourself of it.
Old 02-27-2021, 10:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good to see you here again, Lascaux - I remember your striking avatar.
I hope all will be well with you soon.
SR is here for you
Old 02-27-2021, 10:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

I think you've just been victimized by a happy accident.

When the weather's nice and I'm not hiding from a deadly plague, people who are visiting NYC will ask, "Can you tell us how to get to the Empire State Building/Times Square/Central Park?" while we're standing right at or in their anticipated destination

Old 02-28-2021, 05:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate to being an introvert, but it's not the same as isolating yourself with drinking (something I was an expert at). So much of my social anxiety when I was drinking was actually tied to shame and guilt, which made me very reluctant to reach out to anyone. This feeling kept me stuck for literally decades! Use this time to post and respond here on SR constantly. Whenever you have that restless feeling that tells you "I need a drink," come directly here instead. Waiting for the people around us to change is an exercise in futility, but taking a new and different set of actions will definitely lead you to better outcomes over time. We are here for you!
Old 02-28-2021, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You don't need to open up to anyone Lascaux. We're here for you regardless of how much you talk and in your real life, you just be you and screw anyone who doesn't like it. Introverts are just fine just as they are and that includes you. Sober you can start to develop some confidence in who you are. When you feel like having a drink hop onto SR and tell us what's up.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are a lot of supports available but we have to chose to use them.

AA, Lifering and Smart Recovery meetings are available on Zoom. There are forums like this. For some, a visit to the doctor to seek onward referral to a counsellor or inpatient rehab, or for medication, may be the first port of call.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SR has been a very supportive community for my life.
I dont talk to people IRL about my issues with alcohol aside from my spouse.
I do understand the hypercritical family and I walk away from that kind of behavior.
We are here for you.