Notices

Could have been a hangover

Old 02-23-2021, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Could have been a hangover

I got shot #1 of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. Went to bed and woke up in the middle of the night with what I can only describe as a hangover. It was like PTSD for me. It brought be back to those HUNDREDS of sleepless hungover nights. I was SO happy that it wasn't the result of a break in my sobriety but it was a great reminder of where I have come from.

If you are struggling, sick, hungover or feeling lost and I could only give you one piece of advice it would be this. NEVER GIVE UP. I have attempted to quit hundreds of times over the years and failed each time up until my current quit. Bottom line is this. If you are not trying then you are drinking. You CANNOT ever be successful if you don't try. If you slip up just get right back on the horse and try to make adjustments until you get it right. For some it could take YEARS but if you never stop trying you can do it. Also, by continuing to get right back on the wagon when you slip up you are building up a lot of good total sober time.

Every single person on this forum is a freakin hero in my book. Most never even try to seek help for their addictions.

I love you all.

Max
Old 02-23-2021, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post max. Having been on this board for a while the thing I notice among people who get sober and stay sober is perseverance. Such an under rated quality!

Some people keep going with attempts - I know I did. Some people keep going with advice and kindness. Some people still post on here after many years sober. All of them keep going in the face of adversity and it's so admirable and inspirational. When I first gave up I had no HOPE. This site gave me hope and posts like yours continue to give me that on a daily basis
Old 02-24-2021, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
If you slip up just get right back on the horse and try to make adjustments until you get it right.
Hi Max! Thank you for this. This was the key for me. I quit so many times and each time I simply learned what didn't work. But I kept trying, even when I thought it was too late for me. When I finally could quit, I couldn't stay sober. I tried and failed at that so many times too. I kept trying new ideas (especially from here), even if I didn't think they would work. I'm almost 7 months sober now and I keep evolving and working on how to move forward because one thing I did learn was that if I'm not actively moving forward, I am sliding backward.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post, thanks man. Very inspirational and so true. We have to keep fighting.

I have just passed 90 days (this time) and my mood is improving. I was thinking this morning "why would I ever want to drink again?".

I have slipped back into it so many times, Now I wonder why? You never see the benefits of sobriety that way.

This feels so good. I am never putting a drop of that poison into my body again.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also got sick with the Moderna vaccine. You are right; it felt like an awful hangover.