Notices

Think I might make it!

Old 02-20-2021, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think I might make it!

Saturday, Feb 20th, 2021, at work on my 51st day of sobriety. I crave, but it doesn’t have to be booze. Instead of dedicating all that time in planning and executing and covering up my drinking actions, I pass the time planning, shopping for, preparing and eating very cool meals and cleaning up afterwards. My wife certainly digs it! Also I fill some of the physical craving with deserts... carrot cake, chocolate cream pie, Blue Bell ice cream. I’m still a net loss in the weight dept since Jan 1st, so the positive outcomes are surpassing the different risk factors.

A huge thanks to
everyone on this forum for your insight and stories of success and how to overcome this demon.

I tell you, life is way better when you can sleep well, think straight and make rational decisions.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic job Bayou Man!. You have every right to be proud of this huge and life-changing accomplishment. You are going to make it! It sounds like you have a great set of tools and are using them. The craving for sweets will diminish over time and becomes manageable. Nothing beats a good night sleep for creating a beautiful day. I myself am about to get on the motorcycle for a morning ride, something I would not be interested in if I had drank the night before.

Thanks for your great post friend. Keep it up!
Old 02-20-2021, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Big thanks to you too Bayou!

We're all reaching for the same goal and every success reinforces how much better it is to be sober.

Congratulations on your own personal success.

We can do this.

And we eat cool meals.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

51 days Bayou - you're doing so great - very happy for you & glad you are part of us.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations from a similarly swampy area from a different part of the world, BayouMan Eating nice food is something I always enjoyed but towards the end of my drinking I just couldn't be bothered with cooking nice stuff anymore. Now it's my way of treating myself too, especially the deserts!
Old 02-20-2021, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

Good going, BayouMan! That's a great feeling, the growing sense of mastery that new sobriety brings.

By the way, re the whole bayou thing, I've always thought that Louisiana should sue Houston, Texas for having that utter gall to call itself the Bayou City. Surely the Bayou City needs to be in the Pelican State somewhere, but I guess these city nicknames aren't official or anything, and I know Houston actually does have bayous, albeit Texas bayous!

Also many great bayou songs out there already, a lot of classics. Hank Williams' Jambalaya for instance!
Old 02-20-2021, 12:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats BayouMan

D
Old 02-20-2021, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post, Bayouman. I'm glad you're doing so well.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 51 days sober! I am grateful for my sobriety every morning when I wake up feeling good.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm happy for you BayouMan. Life is so much more simple isn't it? So many more hours to do meaningful things and so much less chaos and pain.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey thank you for the post and sharing the creative ways you pass the time and cravings! What are the different meals you've been trying this week?
Old 02-21-2021, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifewithart View Post
Hey thank you for the post and sharing the creative ways you pass the time and cravings! What are the different meals you've been trying this week?
Today I made an herbed encrusted, bone-in pork loin roast in the slow cooker with carrots, celery and onion. The base for the sauce called for garlic, allspice and dry, white wine. I wondered how I would react buying a bottle of wine and using it to cook with. Although it occupied my mind quite a bit, I was able to maintain. I thickened the sauce with w/corn starch and served it all with buttered egg noodles.

Being from south LA, I’ve always be a great cook, especially with the Cajun stuff. I make some of the best red beans & sausage, chicken and andouille jambalaya and seafood gumbo that most folks have had. In recent years, since retiring and moving back even farther south LA, I’ve perfected an alligator
sauce Picant’. Now that I’m not drunk every night, I have the motivation and the mind power to decide what to make, plan it out and execute it. Since it’s just the wife and I, we have full meals put away for a few extra days.

BTW- I very cordially just asked the little lady to please make sure the rest of that bottle of dry white wine is disposed of by the time I return from work tomorrow. She isn’t like me, she can drink a couple glasses of wine and then stop for months on end.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulations, BayouMan.

Personally I would of done without the wine in the recipe, too much temptation!

Now can we talk some more about the chocolate cream pie ...