Notices

I know I need help and I am ready now

Old 02-10-2021, 05:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know I need help and I am ready now

Although I'm here in the newbie section I was here a few years ago and I thought then I was ready!! I guess not but now with my health going downhill fast I know now is the right time to get things together for mine and me also..

I have had mental problems from as early as I can remember and since 16 I have turned to cheap cider, then lager and currently wine, 2 bottles a night 18 units a day the weight has piles on and fitness not existent. I have know for some time I've had a fatty liver but having seen a few around me like this for many years until it affected them I thought I was ok and I would be the same but I guess not my liver and kidneys now are suffering and the doc wants a word with the results of my blood tests just came in and it is with regards the liver and kidneys... So yesterday I decided time to make the change maybe not in the best way for now but knowing how bad wine is for you I decided to turn to gin, but no more than 13 units (5 glasses of 50 ml serve) not much of a turn around I know but I have to start somewhere!

My sleep was a bit hit and miss last night but ok nonetheless but today my blood pressure is of the scale and Hypertension S3 all day, I have had BP issues for years and king of controlled with meds so I may still have been high for so time but I not too sure.. Would this drop in intake cause this rise in BP? Also over the last few days I have had this awful smell/taste from within and googling (The worst I know) It could be a sign of Liver/Kidney failure?

I guess what I'm trying to say is there any reassurance I've not left it too late..? I have so much to live for!

Thanks for reading
Old 02-10-2021, 05:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Stu82. Switching from wine to gin might be the very definition of the disease of addiction. We've simply lost the ability to appreciate how insane that idea really is. Your health questions are serious ones and must be very scary. Nobody on SR can answer those questions for you because we would only be guessing. You should talk to a doc about those things. But your body has amazing powers to heal itself but only if you quit drinking altogether. I think your drinking days should be behind you my friend.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry it's taken this much illness to get your attention.

Sounds pretty scary to be honest.

I would ask for medical detox if it was me. 13 units of gin will kill you too. That's really alarming. Wine and gin are the same poison.

Zero alcohol is the only thing to do - and it can be done with a few days of medications. I hope you'll be honest with your doctor and REALLY ask for help. Today.
Old 02-10-2021, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm talking with a doc on Monday regards the blood results but with this god awful lockdown I can't get to talk to my own Doctor! It feels like I really am between a rock and a hard place, the Gin really is a bad Idea I get that and not the brightest idea.. Is talking with the doctor the only real way? Can anybody give an insight in how you managed, how long it took and what it took for you to be able to say enough is enough.. at 39 this is the most scared i've ever been to think I will have to live a life without drink but ready at the same time! these conflicting feeling are mind spinning
Old 02-10-2021, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Most of us have been where you are.
Alcohol free aint that bad at all. I actually prefer it now. A year ago I was scared of that reality now it is a blessing.
Do whatever you need to do to get alcohol free. It is worth it. You are worth it.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Is talking with the doctor the only real way?
It is the best way. It's not the only way, but you are pretty far in and your health is in peril. You don't really have time to be researching.

What country are you in?

Tell your doctor the truth and s/he will help you.

This is your current situation: Your health is in danger, you have bad lab results, your blood pressure is high and you haven't been able to quit on your own. You're drinking 13 units a day and you think that's progress. Ask for and take the (detox) meds, quit drinking.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
It is the best way. It's not the only way, but you are pretty far in and your health is in peril. You don't really have time to be researching.

What country are you in?

Tell your doctor the truth and s/he will help you.

This is your current situation: Your health is in danger, you have bad lab results, your blood pressure is high and you haven't been able to quit on your own. You're drinking 13 units a day and you think that's progress. Ask for and take the (detox) meds, quit drinking.
I understand where you're coming from, I'm in the NE uk. I know what I have to do I just hope I have the gonads to fight for myself.. biggest fight of my life is ahead!
Old 02-10-2021, 07:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

From wine to Gin?

Calling your doctor and telling them what is going on with you is top priority. Its mid week right now. I would not wait to have the conversation until Monday. If I were you I would be making every call and step possible to get some help NOW.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Stu, glad you've decided to make positive change in your life by reaching out. Regarding the doctor, that is likely the best place to start, but if you can't physically get in to see one there are other potential options. You might be able to call and speak with a nurse or doctor and do an assessment over the phone first. There are also other hotlines like Samaritans and very likely other local resources you could contact via the internet or phone that could help.

SR is also an excellent resource to meet others who have gone through what you are going through, and what to expect. The initial withdrawal stage can be one of the scariest, but it's also the shortest - I wish you luck in finding some help to get you through it safely.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Stu. You need a medically assisted detox. And soon. I agree with what the others have said. Do not try to do it on your own. Be honest with everyone. You can pull out of this but you have to do it now and not go back.

You can have a great life ahead, many on here have done it. You can too.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stu, I also hope you talk to your doctor as soon as possible. Withdrawal from alcohol is unpredictable and can be dangerous, so medical advice will be very helpful for you.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Stu, I would get on the horn right away. Face the demons and face the blood work so You can stare at at right in the face.

No more guessing, no more waking up like so many of us to wondering which organ will feel or how much damage we have done to ourselves the day before and then promise it won’t happen again and then just keep doing it again.

It is totally insane.

The answer is yes, you will die soon if you don’t stop.

And there is no better day than today.

And everyone else is correct also that The body has amazing powers to heal itself —-all you have to do is love it and treat it well and it will respond in kind.

my prayers to you across the pond, to a fellow Brit!
Old 02-11-2021, 01:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you to each and everyone of you who have commented and given advice it's only me who can make the change I need and because I want to not just saying because I think I should. I'm calling the Doctor today to see if I can bring forward the appointment..

Old 02-11-2021, 01:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Top idea stud.

As soon as we start to ACT on a problem we invariably feel better.

Keep posting with your progress.

You can get sober just like everyone else.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I missed this thread before now but welcome Stu - I'm glad you're calling your Dr

D
Old 02-11-2021, 12:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Honestly, at one of my doctor appointments the nurse saw my shakes and we talked about stuff before the doctor came in. I mean because of covid my husband and I have had to see nurses first because doctors are so booked. Nurses know a lot to help get started. I hope to hear the call went well.

I got sober at 40, it can be done. I haven’t gone to many AA meetings but I remember one vivid share where the woman shared about her yellow skin, bad diagnosis and her belly sticking out a foot. She got sober and looked great. The body can heal. Like others have said replacing wine with Gin won’t help your organs. They still have to filter the alcohol. So I’m really hoping you got some advice on where to start today.

Sobriety is worth it. It’s a fight, but it’s worth it. You’re fighting for your life.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You've got the gonads, stud.

Hope you are doing ok. Seen the doctor? Kicked "mother's ruin" to the kerb? I hope so.

Keep posting no matter what. It's an imperfect world, and we're learning.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Stu - I'm so glad you've made the decision to throw it out of your life. I was warned that my blood pressure might spike dangerously if I quit without seeking medical advice. It's good you're seeing the dr.

I drank 30 yrs. on & off. Surprisingly, I had no serious physical problems when I finally did see my dr. I hope you'll have the same experience.

Happy you are here - stay with us - you're going to have a whole new life.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh man. Yeah I've tried that too. Switching from one thing to another thinking that'll solve my issue. "Oh wine they say is healthier than beer so I'll just do that" and then one bottle turns to 2 a night, then 4 a night, then it never ends until I go "ah I'll just do 1 a night again that'll help" and the cycle continues.

When it comes to addiction, the only way it'll end is if you stop permanently.. no trying to justify the ends to the means. No trying to haggle with yourself "oh this much is fine". No amount is ok for us. Not to say you're not trying to quit because trying different ways is the START of feeling your way towards quitting, and that'sa GREAT thing....but take it from someone who's tried that so many times I can't even count...it never works. I wish you well though brother! Keep us updated! I'm glad you're getting towards that final point! Make sure you keep up with your doctor as well!
Old 02-12-2021, 06:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Stu,
How's it going? Did you get in a call to your doctor?