Notices

Sunday Funday

Old 01-24-2021, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sunday Funday

Today is what I would usually consider “Sunday funday.” I usually spend Sundays drinking bottomless mimosas with friends, but not today. Sundays are not usually my biggest trigger days, but today it has been. Today has been especially hard because I live in Tampa and the day has been filled with pregaming and attending playoff watch parties for my friends. I’m currently sitting on my couch watching the game while browsing through all my friend’s social medias feeling alone and an immense amount of FOMO. Any advice on how to handle the FOMO feeling?
Old 01-24-2021, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Remember just what you're missing out on.

Play the tape foward. Its going to make you feel terrible.

Drinking just gets progressively worse. You get progressively more miserable, progressively more unhealthy, and progressively into more trouble. Drinking is not fun like it was in the old days. We just don't react to it the same way anymore. It less fun and more misery the longer you do it.

Its going to feel much better to wake up with another day sober tomorrow. Hang in there its kind of almost tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just think about what brought you to sobriety in the first place
You are doing so well.

I really had to change what I was doing and how I was doing it. Restructure myself.

Keep on keeping on!
Old 01-24-2021, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can totally relate! My husband and I usually start drinking early on Sundays while watching football. Today was harder than previous weeks cause I'm a huge packer fan and yelling at the tv just didn't feel the same lol. At least i remember the games the next day congrats on Tampa winning btw ;(
Old 01-24-2021, 04:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I found I had to change friends and activities, at least for awhile, if I was going to stay sober. Get out of the old routine, do things that are best done sober.

I recommend cycling for fitness or maybe a big-ass motorcycle. I have both and they work wonders.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

Not much of a brunch drinker, but right now I'm working, and on an AA zoom meeting
I dont feel like I'm missing anything at this moment and I only focus on 24hrs at a time now.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me the recommendation to "play the movie out" has always been very helpful. The expectations and fantasy of what a day of drinking would be, don't hold up when you really think through how the day would go and how it would end and how it would feel to wake up tomorrow in that state of massive panic, anxiety, shame, fear and doubt.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I find that very helpful as well. Sunday we eat dinner earlier. Husband watches a game and I get busy in the kitchen making dinner, watching a movie, making dessert. I love opening that bottle and pouring the first glass of wine.....drinking the entire time. I missed that so much yesterday in my first full week of sobriety.

I kept pushing down the thought to drink anyway.....what would it hurt.....one day, that’s all....sober Monday. I played the tape forward. Saw myself Monday morning; likely hungover after not drinking for a week. Angry and disappointed in myself. I stuck to my cranberry and lime and Perrier. I wasn’t happy then but I’m very happy now.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

FOMO is a major trigger for me too, makes the hours drag by and it makes sobriety really quite hideous.. this time I have been switching my vocabulary (to others and my inner voice).
when i use the words quit or given up, i put my mind into a frame that we are not doing what others can and my mood bombs. I now am trying to focus on what I have gained from not drinking, health, clear head, Reliability, Relationships and dependability etc...It’s a very small change and it really helps me get set in a morning.

I haven’t given up anything, I have gained a huge amount by stopping drinking
Old 01-25-2021, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, I was in the same boat as you Gus. I am from Kansas City. So we both had the same dilemma. I am on day 84. So I have been watching my beloved Chiefs while sober for the first time in many years. I can't think about drinking during game day. if I do it will make be miserable. I put it completely out of my mind. I do not need the AV speaking to me. Tempting me.....I am counting down the days to 90 days sober.