Notices

Two Years

Old 01-05-2021, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two Years

TW: mention of suicide

Today I've officially been alcohol-free for two. Whole. Years. I both can't believe the time has gone by so quickly and also it feels like a lifetime ago. Life has certainly not been perfect, but I can definitively say it has been MUCH BETTER without booze. I've had occasional cravings or those thoughts of maybe I can just have one, or why can't I drink like a "normal" person, but the few things that have helped me the most:
- Shifting my mindset to being a non-drinker. I haven't really verbalized the fact that I quit to anyone except my husband and a few random people in my life, so that label is mostly just for me. I'm not depriving myself of alcohol, I'm just a person who doesn't drink. And I like myself that way.
- Play the tape forward. When I get those creeping thoughts of "just one" I remember, it's never just one. And, to be honest, I never enjoyed just one. Just one gives me a headache. Just one makes me sleepy. Worst of all, "just one" makes that craving for "just one more" nearly impossible to ignore. And even if I had "just one" that night, it sets the stage in a bad way for the next time.
- Realize that not as many people are "normal" drinkers as I thought. It's not the most happy thing I've come to realize, but a lot of people have problematic relationships with alcohol. I'm not judging anyone, it just makes me a little sad to see. But it also makes me realize I'm not weird, alcohol is just a very difficult thing to manage.
- Reflect on all that I've gained. My physical and mental health are so much better. I'm in general a fairly healthy person and more or less well adjusted, but I'd have thoughts of suicide when I was healing from a night of binge drinking. These are not thoughts I EVER have, even when things are very difficult. But I did. I would be so ashamed of myself, so embarrassed that I just didn't ever want to show my face anywhere again. I'd be a recluse for a few days or a few weeks, not really talking to anyone I didn't absolutely have to except my husband. And I'm a social person! To think back on what alcohol did to me at those times, it made me someone I'm not, both when drinking and in the days that would follow. I'm glad I don't have to be that person any more and can just be me.

So, here we are. Two years in. This is not my first profile here, because I let my shame and embarrassment even drive me away from here on some of my earlier attempts to quit. I know I still need to be vigilant and I thank you all for sharing here. It really, really helps to read and post and respond. For anyone just starting out or wanting to start out, I don't have any advice except to keep coming back here. It's an easy place to find support and keep busy during those difficult times. Beyond that, I guess just see what works for you and take advice from others here. See what sticks. And don't let a setback stop you from moving forward. We all mess up. But we don't have to let the last mess up define us. You get to do that.

Happy new year!
Old 01-05-2021, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice congrats on your 2 years sober.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, nice post, KU. Some fantastic stories in there. You’ve got your life back and more. Huge well done from a fellow nember of the two year club
Old 01-05-2021, 01:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two years sober!
Old 01-05-2021, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations and thank you for the inspirational post of how you succeed in sobriety.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on 2 years sober.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on two years KeepingUp - good to hear from you and good to hear things are going well

D
Old 01-05-2021, 03:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

KU ... congratulations on 2 years.

These are great reflections. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2021, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 2 wonderful years of sobriety KeepingUp.

Even the hard times are wonderful after alcohol has been removed. We get to think about what is the next right step, and to witness an ever improving life.

Well done.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrtaulations on 2 years KeepingUp.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations, two years is HUGE!
Old 01-05-2021, 04:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post

Even the hard times are wonderful after alcohol has been removed. We get to think about what is the next right step, and to witness an ever improving life.

Well done.
So true. It’s a big unfunny joke that alcohol relieves stress. It only relieves the stress of drinkers whose body tells them it needs a drink. Once the alcohol is taken away, you don’t need it to help with stress. In the past 18 months, both my parents died (sad but they were very very old) plus like everyone else dealing with Covid. At no point did the stress of these thing make me to drink nor would it have helped me. Yes, I’ve felt like a drink when the chemistry in my brain tells me that once in a while, but that’s fine.

I wonder if anyone has ever stopped drinking and had a worse life as a result after two years. I’d say no.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

TWO years! KU thank you for sharing your story.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing and congrats on 2 years!
Old 01-05-2021, 06:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Two whole years - look at you! Something to be so proud of, KU.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the milestone and power takeaways that you could share with us here!
Old 01-05-2021, 11:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 01-06-2021, 02:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your ESH with us.

Experiences, Strengths & Hopes of what
life was and is like before, during and after
addiction.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wonderful !