Notices

Books

Old 01-03-2021, 06:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Mizz,

This is a great link, it has a ton of recovery related books listed. You may be able to check some out of the library, I use the Libby app to do that. A few of my favorites were:
  • Drinking a Love Story
  • Lit
  • Blackout
  • Drink
  • Mommy Doesn’t Drink Here Anymore
  • Between Breaths

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)
Old 01-03-2021, 08:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chancellor View Post
I'm reading The Heroin Diaries which is really speaking to the alcoholic in me but also my musical career side as well.
Agreed, this is a great book! I love memoirs like this. Steven Adler's is good too!
Old 01-03-2021, 11:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
sober style

I like to read the Bible. It's a good book but also the Good Book, so that's hard to top.

I read a lot but not much about drinking or sobriety. I did buy one of Mary Karr's drinking memoirs but haven't read it yet, it's called Lit. I was curious about her because David Foster Wallace dated her and then stalked her for awhile after that.

I'm reading a biography of Kurt Vonnegut right now, And So It Goes. It's a little depressing tbh, evidently Kurt was a bitter old wreck toward the end there but I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I really like biographies of writers a lot. Blake Bailey's Cheever: A Life about John Cheever is extraordinary, for instance. Cheever, in addition to being featured on Seinfeld, was also a degen drunk who somehow managed to pull things together at last. Bailey's official Philip Roth bio is coming out later this year I think. Oh and Frances Wilson has a new DH Lawrence one coming too.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you for this recommendation. I read some recent reviews and they were all favourable, will put this on my list to purchase.

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
I got a lot of out Under the Influence, by Milam and Ketcham.

A real oldie but goodie, written in 1981! I don't think the science in it has been superseded. It really opened my eyes to the physiology of how alcoholics process alcohol compared to non-alcoholics. Not preachy, just factual. It made me appreciate I had a disease and it was up to me to treat it responsibly, with sobriety!