Notices

this is so wrong

Old 12-02-2020, 03:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

this is so wrong

I subed for a high school class. Turns out the teacher for that won't teach the afternoon classes cause he feels they are too big. They are around 38 students, which are really big classes. The students told me that this teacher is on strike cause the classes are too big. One student wrote on the board "teach me". Of course, kids will say anything, but a kid told me she was told by the vice principal that he won't teach these classes cause there too big. The teacher won't teach these classes until the school does something about this. A student told me he doesn't think the school cares about this and this is just the way it is. So this teacher shows up for his morning classes, but that's it. Can't believe he still has a job. I guess when a district is short on teachers, they will take anyone. The sad thing is that the kids know this. John
Old 12-02-2020, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that you may be on the wrong website for the kind of support that you are requesting.....
Old 12-02-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It must be hard being a teacher, 2Much and tough trying to teach in a time of Covid.
Thanks for being one of the ones who shows up and cares

D
Old 12-02-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
I think that you may be on the wrong website for the kind of support that you are requesting.....
whatever is important to our members is more often than not something someone else is going through as well, so it's usually on topic

D
Old 12-02-2020, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

2muchpain, I appreciate your concern about the schoolchildren. I worry about so many young people at really formative ages who are missing out on important experiences that foster learning and social development this year. I'll bet your presence means a lot to them, even if they don't say so.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

John, I'm glad you're showing up and teaching and caring.

The school kids are suffering during this pandemic.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

as our Provincial Health Officer keeps pointing out: we don’t know other’s stories. they may have very goid and valid reasons that we don’t know about.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great that you are showing up to teach. A big problem is the garbage teacher unions, basically impossible to get fired and if disciplinary action is taken against them they spend years in rubber room collecting a pay check it is a big joke
Old 12-02-2020, 08:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

(((John))) I'm sorry you're teaching under such conditions. Both my parents were teachers so I know something about a teacher's workload. I will keep you in my prayers for peace of mind and a resolution to this problem.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's tough! That's a big class is normal times, and that size seems dangerous in a pandemic. I'm sorry you have to pick up the slack!
Old 12-02-2020, 10:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

John, thanks for being there for the kids, this pandemic has been so rough for the mental health of kids, they need adults like you in their lives.❤️
Old 12-04-2020, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for your kind replys. Lots of teachers and students being quaranteened (sp) at home. A student today told me three of her teachers are home. Many students too. School districts cases are rising rapidly. Surprised school is still open. The holidays might change that. Feel good knowing I can help out during these tough times. Just hope I don't end up paying a price. Might rethink subbing for a while if the cases continue to rise. At my age, I can't afford to take too many chances. Hope everyone is doing well. John
Old 12-05-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

John, classes have had 35+ children since the 1950's......

Thanks for teaching!!
Old 12-05-2020, 05:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My Mom was a teacher. It's such a hard and un-appreciated position.

Never moreso than now, while teachers struggle more than ever in our lifetimes to keep up with the grinding conditions brought on by Covid.

My gratitude to teachers everywhere.... they are the 'front lines' in this pandemic and in the generational well-being of our species.

Thank a teacher.

Support them always.

Push the system to care for them appropriately.

Help out.

Hang in there, teachers.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

I'm a teacher as well, and the largest class I've ever had was 34 students. Impossible to teach such a large group, especially when trying to teach a foreign language.