Notices

Good Morning SoberRecovery!

Old 11-22-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good Morning SoberRecovery!

Hello, my name is Ken and I am an alcoholic! I found this site a couple weeks ago and recently signed up! I did not want to post until I got some respectable sober time under my belt. So posting is my reward after having read many powerful accounts and meaningful truths from many people here, they are fueling my resolve in my now 9 day old alcohol free path! I'm glad I found this site, As much as I thought about it the last two years my social anxiety just would not allow me to attend an actual AA meeting, but I can do this!!
My story is pretty normal, (Boy meets Booze, Booze loves Boy, Boy abuses Booze, Booze destroys Boy, Boy wants out!) I was raised by two alcoholic parents in western Canada, It was not a bad upbringing, I was the youngest of four so I pretty much came and went as I pleased as a teenager as my parents trusted me, by "trusted me" I now see and understand that they were too busy with their drinking to care about what I was doing.
I hated alcohol as a teenager, I was a jock and saw what it did to young and old people, especially my parents and swore I would never act that foolish.
However I did discover, and had a great loving relationship with weed for a couple years, which did its share of damage I'm sure.
I spent my 20s and 30's carving out a living on the railroad and then in the oil fields, at the time both industries were notorious for the free flowing alcohol, so while I learned a lot about both industries I learned to enjoy booze to, too much!
I was somewhere between a social drinker and a recreational drinker up until my divorce 7 years ago. I've gone professional since!
We moved to North Carolina in 2001 where booze and cigars are cheap, yet I could have almost paid off my house with the money I've spent on them the last 7 years alone!
My 9 days sober is the third longest streak in my life, the others were from a illness and one was a bet, so they don't count as they were temporary. This one I'm hoping does not end, as my life depends on it.
Thanks again for support shown to everyone here daily, it helps a lot! I hope I get to a point I can pay others back for the strength I am getting now!

Ken

Old 11-22-2020, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! I have got in a habit of checking in on the 24 hour connection thread. It has reminded me every morning of who I am and I can't drink. I think it has helped me. Best wishes!
Old 11-22-2020, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Ken and I'm glad you posted.

Congratulations on 9 days of sobriety.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
... My 9 days sober is the third longest streak in my life, the others were from a illness and one was a bet, so they don't count as they were temporary. This one I'm hoping does not end, as my life depends on it. ...
Hi Ken,

Welcome to SR. You can find everything necessary here to end your addiction (and your recovery) at pretty much your own pace. You are in the drivers seat.

Your username reminds me of the little mouse story in the movie “Catch Me If You Can” Link to Little Mouse Story

A not too different visualization of recovery is the one on the cover of the book at this link
Super Butterfly

Do not dismiss outright the willfulness that you used in your quitting alcohol on a bet. Think deeply about the similarities and differences between what you did then and what you can do, and are doing now.

GT

Old 11-22-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Ken
Old 11-22-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, You can do this. Come on over to the Class of November 2020.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ken! You've got a great start. Best of luck.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Ken

D
Old 11-22-2020, 06:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi Ken & Welcome to SR!! So glad you're here.

SR saved my life. Please keep reading & posting....there is a wealth of knowledge, experience, support and love on this site.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Free.

Stick to it Ken.

Hope to see you around.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello, KEN! Welcome to SR. This forum is such a great tool to use for recovery. I am so glad that you posted a little background and congrats on your 9 days. That first week or so is quite the experience mentally, emotionally and for some physically.
I do hope you stick around and continue to post. Find some different tools that work for you and in turn can work for others.

I look forward to your journey here on SR!
Old 11-23-2020, 01:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

9 days is a great start! Keep it going.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
Welcome! I have got in a habit of checking in on the 24 hour connection thread. It has reminded me every morning of who I am and I can't drink. I think it has helped me. Best wishes!
Thank you Tomls, I found that thread this morning!!
Old 11-23-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome, Ken and I'm glad you posted.

Congratulations on 9 days of sobriety.
Thank you Anna, double digits today!
Old 11-23-2020, 04:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
Hi Ken,

Welcome to SR. You can find everything necessary here to end your addiction (and your recovery) at pretty much your own pace. You are in the drivers seat.

Your username reminds me of the little mouse story in the movie “Catch Me If You Can”

A not too different visualization of recovery is the one on the cover of the book at this link

Do not dismiss outright the willfulness that you used in your quitting alcohol on a bet. Think deeply about the similarities and differences between what you did then and what you can do, and are doing now.

GT
Thank you GT! That was a great scene in a movie I really enjoyed as well, sadly my screen name comes from a much less respected character in film. That book looks interesting, do you recommend it?
Old 11-23-2020, 04:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Welcome to SR Ken
Thank you Robbie!!
Old 11-23-2020, 04:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
Welcome, You can do this. Come on over to the Class of November 2020.
Thank you Travelbug! I just joined that thread!

Ken
Old 11-23-2020, 04:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Buttermaker View Post
Thank you GT! That was a great scene in a movie I really enjoyed as well, sadly my screen name comes from a much less respected character in film. That book looks interesting, do you recommend it?
Yes. Very much.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2much2luv View Post
Welcome, Ken! You've got a great start. Best of luck.
Thank you 2M2L! Its beyond tough but we can do this!!!
Old 11-23-2020, 04:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome aboard Ken

D
Thank you D!

Ummmm, 189,000 posts??? That's quite impressive! Thank you for all the support and the time you invest in us strangers!

Ken