Notices

Positive Side of Covid

Old 11-10-2020, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Positive Side of Covid

I know that the lockdowns have created additional stress for all, and particularly those of us who struggle with addictions. Something just occurred to me though, and I'd like to provide an alternative, positive view.

One of the biggest problems of recovery is the dilemma of social situations where drinking occurs. I know for me, one of my big relapses was because I didn't want to stand out by not drinking when I was at a cinco de mayo party with heavy drinkers.

Think about it, this catalyst has been taken out of the equation as these types of social get-togethers are not happening. I don't think at this point for me (almost two years sober) it would be a problem anyway, but it sure makes things easier. No making excuses for not going out, for drinking soda, etc.

SC
Old 11-10-2020, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This very same thought crossed my mind this morning. Trying to quit now from a social drinking perspective has likely never been easier. Unfortunately, the drink alone risk is substantial.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Self isolation gave me time to go at my own pace without the stress of social situations. I'm with you!
Old 11-10-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me covid19 has been up and down. On a positive note I never really was into reading but now I love to read. The gym was my outlet for everything when it was closed due to covid-19. I found alternative ways to exercise and then open my eyes to other forms of self care. And again I love my home. But there is struggles. So anyone going through it. Keep busy we will be back to normal.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The closure of the bars and night life erased any type of euphoric recall moments I was having. I was about 8 months in when covid hit but form time to time I would still find myself reminiscing about the old bar scene whenever certain songs came on or at different times of the night. Im also still friends with a lot of my drinking friends from the bars and the bartenders. Id see photos of them still looking like they were having the time of their lives. Then all of a sudden they were scrambling to either look for jobs or unable to gather up. I though of how lucky I was to have jumped off a sinking ship without even knowing it.