Notices

Day 2

Old 10-27-2020, 05:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Didn't get much sleep last night and still feel terrible today anxiety is crippling at times. Gf is talking to me a wee bit more but she is still angry and I feel bad she's had the worst year with deaths in the family and troubles with her ex and I was ment to be her rock told her I'd prove I still was but she's not having it..craving really bad the now but hopefully lunch will calm it down
Old 10-27-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Erica375

Hang in there, Alex! Don't listen to that evil voice. Don't let it seduce you back into that abyss. Stick with us here and keep moving forward!
Old 10-27-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 2. Getting sober is not easy at first but as time moves on you will develop and new normal and then you'll be able to embrace being there for the ones who matter. You have to take care of you first. You can do this!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In that case, make 2020 the year you quit drinking. Your girlfriend will appreciate that more than anyone else.

The husband of a friend of my wife was recently diagnosed with alcohol-related cirrhosis. It’s a bad case. His life is non-existent unless he gets a liver transplant. My wife is beginning to see what a huge effort I made to quit 22 months ago and the benefits for both of us.

Take it easy, Alex. It’ll be a difficult few days ahead I’m afraid, but in a couple of weeks you’ll be sleeping better and starting to feel normal. Just don’t be tempted by that one drink or you’ll be feeling like this again and again for years.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I can do this so can you. I thought I was going to drink myself to death and I couldn't do anything about it. I have amazed myself and you can too! Best wishes! Read and post as needed. Open 24/7.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have 9 days myself and because of that I still have sudden thoughts of drinking now and then, it is normal because I am newly sober. I am fighting the obsession by talking to others and getting back to recovery( a program of recovery)
Old 10-27-2020, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Erica375

Alex, I have like 2 weeks this time around and my eyes seem to be mysteriously leaking an awful lot. 😭😭😭 But I don't care. Leaky eyes are way better than being drunk. Or hungover. Stay with us.
Old 10-27-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alex, I'm so glad you're getting through Day 2. You can do this!
Old 10-27-2020, 09:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day two should be just about done, bring on day three!
Old 10-28-2020, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hope you made it thru your Day 2 because the early days of quitting is such MIND TRICKERY....The anxiety is so so bad and so is the depression. I wouldn't even be able to TALK to anyone in my early days..noise, lights caused me so much agitation. The people in my "circle" know that if I am trying not to drink they just need to let me be for about 5 days (at least)...So I give you kudos for even caring about your g/f's feelings...I can't even function until I have at least 8 days sober....

Sleep...just know that terrible sleep is part of the early recovery process and you will if you can hold on achieve a normal nights sleep in a few more days...

Its nice that you recognize that you weren't there as much as you should have been for your g/f....some of us just think we are "fine" even when we are drunk and that it all someone else fault...

Her being mad at you matters...But, if you can't reel this in and stop you are not going to be able to change and then eventually you will also give up on yourself. You know that you have more to offer than what you are giving so don't beat yourself up...just continue to do the "next right thing" (my sponser says) and "right things will happen".

You can't change the past but you can have a say in your own future.....Beat the demon..alcohol is no longer serving you but making you miserable...so fight back.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Free.

Glad you’re here Alex!
Keep posting.

I exactly remember that feeling of regret in letting a loved one down. We (alcoholics) have a real knack for drinking at the worst possible times. For me, my wife really could’ve used a shoulder to lean on during one of the most turbulent times of change. I really wanted to be a support, but found that I was drunk much of the time. It was so hard on her.

Sobriety is our chance to take our lives back and be the person we can be.
Don’t drink....no matter what. That is my new motto.

no matter what....