Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Posting for accountability. Going to taper off alcohol for a week and then quit.

Notices

Posting for accountability. Going to taper off alcohol for a week and then quit.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hi goneundone - did you finish the taper? Are you in to the first week of sobriety now?

Would be good to hear back from you, I was thinking of you and this thread earlier

Old 10-27-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goneundone View Post
Thanks everyone. 4 units today, I realize that’s up from yesterday but at least it’s still keeping to my schedule. I had a craving to go get my go to, vodka, but I asked myself.. do I want to continue beIn drunk and fat, or sober and fit? I chose sober and fit so I got the rest of the truly’s I needed for my taper. On my way to sobriety. I know a taper hasn’t worked for most people but I cant go into a medical detox due to my profession. Thanks all.

Well, the "but" won, I guess.

In my neighboring area there are doctors, teachers, nurses, veterinarians, first responders, City Council members, high level members of the fire department and law enforcement, lawyers, professional football players and more who I've seen introduce themselves in local AA meetings. There is no shame in being an alcoholic in recovery. However, alcohol is an equal opportunity destroyer.

I hope you find your way out of that vodka bottle. Truly.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I may be speaking out of turn here, but isn’t tapering the method recommended by health professionals for patients who drink very large quantities and would likely suffer from seizures if they stopped abruptly?

The amounts GoneUndone are/have been drinking are dangerously high and will likely cause health problems in the future, but to me they’re not so high that tapering is required.

GoneUndone, you quit previously, so you understand the unpleasantness of withdrawal. Why can’t you accept that it will once again be an unpleasant few weeks without alcohol before you start feeling better again? Each to their own, but stating a tapering plan and then increasing the units to suit seems a delaying tactic. How about you stop tomorrow? Sorry, it sounds a little direct, but like everyone here I’m willing (and hopefully encouraging) you to beat this nasty addiction.