Notices

Nothing to do but move forward...

Old 10-06-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nothing to do but move forward...

I have been on and off this forum since, gosh, June? It took awhile to even post. I just read and related to so many of people's struggles and lives. I finally made an actual effort in September, but I wasn't all in. Don't drink 4 days, drink 2...don't drink 6 days, drink 4...etc. Which really sucks, cause i had to days 1 thru 3 over and over again. On the bright note, i know exactly what to expect this time around. I have truly appreciated everyone on here. I will not drink today.

why i am going to quit:
Health
Guilt
shame
Be more present my life
Be a better mom/wife
More energy
Lose weight
less anxiety
More productive
Have time to try be things
be proactive
be a better person overall
Old 10-06-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
I have been on and off this forum since, gosh, June? It took awhile to even post. I just read and related to so many of people's struggles and lives. I finally made an actual effort in September, but I wasn't all in. Don't drink 4 days, drink 2...don't drink 6 days, drink 4...etc. Which really sucks, cause i had to days 1 thru 3 over and over again. On the bright note, i know exactly what to expect this time around. I have truly appreciated everyone on here. I will not drink today.

why i am going to quit:
Health
Guilt
shame
Be more present my life
Be a better mom/wife
More energy
Lose weight
less anxiety
More productive
Have time to try be things
be proactive
be a better person overall
Yeah, that is my list too! It's horrible bouncing around with a few days here, and a few days there. I have been doing the same but I think that it's just making that big push to make this stick. You can do it. So can I! Thanks for the list xxx
Old 10-06-2020, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you. You can do it!
Old 10-06-2020, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I noticed a difference mostly in my:
Health
Guilt
Shame
Anxiety

But the biggest difference for me is not on your list. In fact, it wasn't something I was actually looking for, because all I wanted to do was get away from the bad things that came with drinking. So I was (and still am) kind of surprised to say that the biggest change in my life is that I am happier than I was before. I think it ranks highest on my list because the change has been more dramatic. In fact, I'm much happier, so it's more noticeable. But I didn't expect that.

About starting over on days 1 thru 3, I would try to impress on you how important it is to resolve to quit, and leave the starting over behind you. Starting over is not quitting. Think of each day (1) as a huge billboard in front of you that asks, "When are you going to quit?" Starting over is often the result of seeing two days of success as getting better. I don't think it is, although some might argue. I started over after a couple days of not drinking more times than I can count, and all the while my alcoholism kept getting worse. Then one day, the stars aligned, and I quit. That's when I started getting better.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I noticed a difference mostly in my:
Health
Guilt
Shame
Anxiety

But the biggest difference for me is not on your list. In fact, it wasn't something I was actually looking for, because all I wanted to do was get away from the bad things that came with drinking. So I was (and still am) kind of surprised to say that the biggest change in my life is that I am happier than I was before. I think it ranks highest on my list because the change has been more dramatic. In fact, I'm much happier, so it's more noticeable. But I didn't expect that.

About starting over on days 1 thru 3, I would try to impress on you how important it is to resolve to quit, and leave the starting over behind you. Starting over is not quitting. Think of each day (1) as a huge billboard in front of you that asks, "When are you going to quit?" Starting over is often the result of seeing two days of success as getting better. I don't think it is, although some might argue. I started over after a couple days of not drinking more times than I can count, and all the while my alcoholism kept getting worse. Then one day, the stars aligned, and I quit. That's when I started getting better.
it really is easy to think "well, i didn't drink Monday thru Friday, so now i can this weekend" or "i took time off, so that has to be better than nothing" But I'm tired of the rollercoaster my life has become and i am happier when i don't drink, even if my AV says differently.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Initially, some things got better and some got worse.

Addiction makes us rationalize we need a drink through emotion. Analysis will always point us towards quitting.

It is an internal battle, left and right brain. Plus the chemical imbalance and mental dependency.

That is why so few make it out.

The only way I got this clean was suffering like there was no tomorrow and time.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2020, 11:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Once those first few days are done the sickness goes and then its all down to vigilance and sticking to the plan you have. Not a major advocate of any specific method but AA is easily accessible (if anything is anymore) and really helped me in the first year or so.
Keeping in the forefront of your mind and memories of the sickness, pain and mental torment drinking brings is key to never drinking again.
That and dont take the first drink.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A few more things you can look forward to:
Your skin will glow
Your eyes will sparkle
Your mind will be sharper
Your confidence will go up
And not smelling like alcohol
Stay strong Backtogood, you've got this!!
Old 10-11-2020, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think just the fact that you are in a stage of wanting to quit alcohol speaks volumes. You came to this forum early summer and starting gathering information. You have given solid effort and accumulated days of sobriety. You seem to continually give sobriety a chance in your life. You can do this. You will do this.

I've said on another post that sobriety is not linear. ( it may be for a small percentage of people but I have no idea where those small percentage of people are?) I don't think it comes all at once, in a straight line and we are free from our addictions/ cycle/ destructive/ what have you behavior. I do see for most people that sobriety takes some real hard work to get it to stick. It may mean getting those 4 days and then 6 days and then maybe 2. The point is that you are trying!

YOU GOT THIS!
Old 10-11-2020, 08:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I was told, by a very wise moderator here, that I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink. That, and practicing gratitude every day, have been the keys to my success.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Get right back on the sober turkey if you fall off! Early recovery sucks. I hate it so much. I hate feeling out of sorts. I hate not feeling "normal" without a drink. I hate needing a drink. I hate needing a drink to fix the problems created by drinking. The whole blasted thing is just ghastly. However I believe people when they tell me it passes and that I'll start to feel better, so I believe this for you too. In the meantime, I'm rage eating chips and watching way too much tv.