Notices

I need to stop. 47 male

Old 09-14-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Will do fishkiller...i tried to earlier but it says I can’t until I have posted 15 times...
Old 09-14-2020, 06:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Similar story.
I'm in my early 40s, heavy drinker for 5 years. The last 2 were terrible.
I, like yourself, was feeling terrible all the time. The hangovers, the dry mouth, the tiredness and, most of all, feeling that this was getting worse and in control of my life and feeling that it could only get worse in the future and, having terrible thoughts like "I'll die in a few years and I know what I'm going to die from".
You can take a turn from that terrible path, like I did.

You can do it.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Matt. On here at 46. Our situation seems similar like others have said. Will follow your progress and this thread. Good luck tons of great advice that I am taking note on as well.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Matt I sent you a PM. Hopefully it will let you at least read it.
If not post away until you can. Noone is gonna be upset if you post 15 times in a row. It could be as simple as quoting all the replies separately here and saying Thank You.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I go to work (I runs a company that renovates houses), work out, do things around the house, and still have all this free time.
IME, this nails the biggest problem of early sobriety. I started wearing myself with work+exercise and turning in early. It cut way down on those empty hours.

I read here a lot, and took in some books and movies on alcoholism. I am a firm believer that as a “high functioner” I was just a little higher up the hillside, but still careening towards the bottom. It kept me focused to accept that with more time and less luck all the terrible consequences others have suffered could be my own.

Congrats on 3 days! It is absolutely something to celebrate, as that’s how we all clean up our lives.
-bora

Old 09-14-2020, 01:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Hey Matt I sent you a PM. Hopefully it will let you at least read it.
If not post away until you can. Noone is gonna be upset if you post 15 times in a row. It could be as simple as quoting all the replies separately here and saying Thank You.
I’d be a little upset.

The PM post requirement thing is there because the system been abused by some to spam people, or to spread some pretty nasty stuff.

posting fifteen normal posts shows us noone is likely a spammer or a crazy person. It doesn’t take long to rack up - and you can read any PMs you might get from the moment you sign up.

You’ll get there in no time Matt

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 09-14-2020, 03:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My apologies Dee
Never thought of it that way
Old 09-14-2020, 03:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattVA View Post
Been drinking for 6 years,heavily the last 2 Years- 5-6 drinks a night most nights of the week. I feel it ripping my body and mind apart and can’t stand waking up to another hangover and stomach ache. I’m 47 and really didn’t drink until I began socially around 40. My anxiety kicked up a notch due to a couple life events and that’s when I became a daily drinker. I’ve never really stopped drinking for more than 2-3 days the last 5 years. Would love to hear from people with similar stories and have some hope that I can get my life back.. I’m high functioning and run my own business, but can feel myself slipping a little/less productive because of booze.
I recently quit at that age(june 2019). I had been drinking since I was 14 though and probably daily since about 19. I realized I had a problem in my early 30's. I was drinking every day from about 730 in the morning till I crashed out at about 9pm. I just decided I had enough and quit that bad habit. As the saying goes, if I did it you can do it. You are much better off than I was. Just hold tough and dont pick up the drink. Yes, its tough. Its a habit and an addiction(maybe). Either way you just have to want it. Sounds like you are wanting it. Stick around here to help with the quitting mindset and just go for it. Be strong willed, post here before you drink if you feel like drinking. Time flys. Either it will fly by with you drinking more and more(its a progressive thing) or it will fly by and next thing you know you are a non drinker. I wish you the best.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Just like me. I started going to the gym every weekday and keep myself busy at weekends. I don't have a spare minute left and when I'm going to bed, I'm exhausted, but happy and fulfilled.

Keep yourself busy all the time. Focus your mind on something else all the time. Wear your body, but take good care of it, because, as something I read a long time ago, your body is the only place you'll ever live, so take good care of it.

Originally Posted by boreas View Post
IME, this nails the biggest problem of early sobriety. I started wearing myself with work+exercise and turning in early. It cut way down on those empty hours.