Notices

I can’t do anything about the wildfires except eat cookies

Old 09-09-2020, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can’t do anything about the wildfires except eat cookies

If this year couldn’t get any worse. Sigh.

Like a lot of us on the U.S. west coast, I am dealing with massive wildfires all around our community. The sky has been dark and blood red for 2 days and it’s so dark in the house we have to keep lamps on like at night. My son just started his remote school year and they’ve already canceled the last couple days due to evacuations. So far we don’t have to evacuate but need to be alert. I’m tired, so incredibly sad for everyone being affected and those who have died, and completely baffled at how normal seems to get further and further away every day. So I ate 4 of those big frosted sugar cookies from the grocery store and feel a little sick now but at least I didn’t (and won’t) drink!!

Thank you for being here and stay safe! <3
Old 09-09-2020, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I learned that too. In the early days I ate all the time. I always had snacks in my car.

Mmmmmm....those big sugar cookies from the supermarket. Delish!

Great job on not relapsing. 1 drink never did anything for me anyway. I needed at least 4 or 5 to get started.

Glad those days are over.

These days I can go all day, if I need to, without eating. I am normalized.

Everything is better. I am almost cured, except as an addict for life, being cured is a trigger.

The AV will do anything to get me to mess up my clean time.

Never going to happen. I hate booze. It is poison.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry MissOverIt - it is sometimes all we can do is watch things unfold.
I've been in the same situations with fire and flood and of course there;s covid...

I think the key is to stay connected to others as much as we can - help wherever we can, and above all, stay sober because sober I can keep things in perspective, and sober I;m ready for anything anytime - you never know when we might be called upon to act or offer help.

I can do that sober, but I can;t do that drinking.

D
Old 09-09-2020, 10:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am sending up constant prayers for rain on the west coast.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissOverIt View Post

Like a lot of us on the U.S. west coast, I am dealing with massive wildfires all around our community. The sky has been dark and blood red for 2 days and it’s so dark in the house we have to keep lamps on like at night. My son just started his remote school year and they’ve already canceled the last couple days due to evacuations. So far we don’t have to evacuate but need to be alert. I’m tired, so incredibly sad for everyone being affected and those who have died, and completely baffled at how normal seems to get further and further away every day. So I ate 4 of those big frosted sugar cookies from the grocery store and feel a little sick now but at least I didn’t (and won’t) drink!!

Thank you for being here and stay safe! <3
I am in SoCal and dealing with the exact same thing. Thankfully Santa Anas weren’t as bad as anticipated last night. I worry this fire season is going to be a bad one.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry MissOverIt - it is sometimes all we can do is watch things unfold.
I've been in the same situations with fire and flood and of course there;s covid...

I think the key is to stay connected to others as much as we can - help wherever we can, and above all, stay sober because sober I can keep things in perspective, and sober I;m ready for anything anytime - you never know when we might be called upon to act or offer help.

I can do that sober, but I can;t do that drinking.

D
Agree.

And, I expect there are ways that individuals can help, either locally or state-wide, with welfare organisations and charities that support the fire-fighters and those affected by the fires.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The title of your thread made me think:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...and a ready supply of confectionary

Old 09-10-2020, 03:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sending thoughts and prayers for all those affected
by wildfires and those things in life we can't control.

Taking care of "First Things First". Meaning to focus
on the most important thing needing attention first
and foremost.

It was explained to me that I needed to focus on my
sobriety and recovery for my alcohol addiction first.
To not worry about all that other stuff and that I could
deal with that in time.

I also needed to find balance in my life. That too much
of a good thing wouldnt be good for me. Too much sugar,
too much salt, too much coffee, too much this or that.

Focus on recovery with continued listening, learning,
absorbing and applying helpful tools and knowledge
to remain sober or clean one day at a time.

Stay connected to our recovery lifelines so that no one
ever has to go thru this process alone or by ourselves.

Faith, recovery, SR support strong.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I woke up to your notes and feel recharged for another hard day- sober! And maybe some more cookies 😉
Old 09-10-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's lots of good advice here MissOverIt, so I will just add my prayers for the safety of everyone affected by the wild fires.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Boy, do I read you loud and clear I'm 100 miles south of you down I-5 in Eugene and the conditions are just horrendous here. The sky is a dirty orange brown color, there are ashes everywhere and they fall like snow. My phone has been lighting up with evacuation orders for two days. And like you, munching on cookies feels like the smart thing to do. I happen to like peanut butter chocolate chip.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sending you support and love during the wildfires MissOverIt. The red sky all around is strange, ominous, to watch.

You are right on track though. Sober and eating cookies sounds good to me.

But don't forget to be prepared and have a plan.

My thoughts are with you all.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissOverIt View Post

Like a lot of us on the U.S. west coast, I am dealing with massive wildfires all around our community. The sky has been dark and blood red for 2 days and it’s so dark in the house we have to keep lamps on like at night.
I lived in Western Montana for 45 years. Out of high school, I worked summers with the Forest Service. I thought fire fighting was the best thing about the job. We all looked forward to a good fire season with lots of fires.... Until I owned a house. Then fires were somewhere between "not fun" and "a horrible nightmare." I have some friends with 50 acres in Western Montana and a beautiful log home that were on evacuation alert the summer before last. I would download the fire maps of their area everyday here in Virginia. Here I was 3000 miles away and worried sick. They made it through with a shift in the winds and a heavy rain. The fire also came close to the house I built there. Stay alert. I'm sure you will.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've worked wildfires in Florida but not out west. Prayer that the weather will soon become more favorable.

It may or may not always be feasible, but in the rural areas often times people at a local church or community center will organize to have food and drinks available. Bottle water, sport drinks, homemade sandwiches, cookies, etc. It helps people to feel appreciated which helps a lot sometimes.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Something else, if it hasn't been mentioned, if the fire near you is a big project fire, or part of a complex, you may be able to get the situation updates which you might find informative. If you know the name of the fire, you can try to Google it and sign up for emails or maybe join a Facebook group. I think I have an active link to one for an example.

Yes. This is the link to the fire that a friend of mine was on. There may likely be a similar link to the fire that is near you. I would absolutely be checking the link constantly for information updates and would be working to maintain situation awareness and to be ready for what action may be necessary.

https://www.facebook.com/10675761447...xY&d=null&vh=e
Old 09-10-2020, 07:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My feed was full of evacuating Oregon relatives. I’m in CA and we’ve been burning for nearly a month.

i hear you on the cookies. I’m in moderation mode with sugar: I just fast it away the next day, I’m just not willing to give it up. I hope they tasted good.

Stay safe. Although you are in a metro area like I am, smoky but no evacuations: I feel for anyone on the pacific side living in the rural areas.

it feels apocalyptic out there right now.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think that was a link to a report and not the actual page for the fire, but hopefully you get the idea. They didn't have that last time I was on a big fire, you had to go to a big meeting.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It’s been another scary day with surrounding evacuations but my area is still hanging in there! We have a pocket of farm land that is a buffer for my town and it hasn’t reached that yet. Thank you everyone! Here’s to another safe and sober day 💗