Notices

Anybody else get emotional while quitting?

Old 09-06-2020, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anybody else get emotional while quitting?

I get the physical withdrawals, I have no appetite, I'm dehydrated, but feel nausea when i try and drink too much water. I have the sweats, the chills. My liver is swollen and sore. But the emotional side of quitting is shocking to me. I'll be fine, doing my thing and then bam, i want to cry for no reason. It's not rational. I feel like I'm going crazy and haven't even made it to day 2. I know for sure I'm not drinking tonight tho. So that's something.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
.... But the emotional side of quitting is shocking to me. I'll be fine, doing my thing and then bam, i want to cry for no reason. It's not rational. I feel like I'm going crazy and haven't even made it to day 2.
Being emotional is normal. Grief doesn't equate to insanity. Managing life as a sober person can be extremely unsettling for some people. We're used to managing life while intoxicated and all of a sudden - there's no alcohol. We don't know how to react to things or people or situations. It's weird - it's uncomfortable - and it doesn't last. The weirdness is replaced with something like "Oh, yeah. This is life. Normal people called this - life. Everyday sh1t."

Severing the ties to any relationship is painful. Alcoholics normally have a challenging time getting sober in the first place due to their (our) emotional attachment to alcohol and to drinking. The behavior of drinking is just as significant as the effects of alcohol. I suggest you go easy on yourself for a while. You mind and body will let you know when they're - you're - ready for bigger and better experiences - whatever those look like to you.

Old 09-06-2020, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We drank to regulate our emotions so emotional instability in the early days is totally normal. Make sure you’re staying hydrated and doing something to replace the addiction. For me I found drinking something sugary really helpful.

Also, I don’t know how much you drank but you're still in early withdrawal which can be dangerous so please make sure you’re staying safe.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Was super emotional in the first few days. Felt like I was going crazy. Mood swings were wild. Still get them but not as bad.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's pretty normal.
Its like after years of walling up feelings, the dam starts to break....

You will find emotional stability again

D
Old 09-06-2020, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Coping with ones emotions is a massive part of recovery. Most alcoholics I have ever met have always felt their emotions very strongly.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
We drank to regulate our emotions so emotional instability in the early days is totally normal. Make sure you’re staying hydrated and doing something to replace the addiction. For me I found drinking something sugary really helpful.

Also, I don’t know how much you drank but you're still in early withdrawal which can be dangerous so please make sure you’re staying safe.
thx sober45, yes it's only been 25 hours, I drank between 1/2 to 1 one fifth of vodka a day during this last stage of my alcoholism (mainly the c last 6 months). I mainly have no appetite, the sweats, and a daily headache around 5pm, by usual drinking time. I've just been so emotional in my recent efforts to maintain/create a recovery plan. Seriously, laughing with my son and then wanting to cry the next moment.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyone for your thoughts, I'm not good with change and this one, however wonderful, is challenging. I feel overwhelmed.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Everytime I came off bender I sat and cried like a baby at intermittent periods for a couple of days after day 3. Before now I never really made it that much further. The last time I gave up I made it 16 days and as the days went on I got myself in quite some emotional states, at one point my grown daughter who lives away called me "needy and clingy" which offended me no end 😄
This time, I felt emotional a few days near the beginning again, like always (made sure not to ring the daughter). Then I went hyper and felt euphoric and full of energy for days alternating with super tiredness and not sleeping much for about 2 weeks.
I've only been stopped just over a month, but things have evened out much more now.
I also had a fuzzy head for a couple of weeks, which is going away rapidly now, my memory is still iffy, but much better already.
I would say it's definitely worth the ups and downs and can't lie, the hypers were quite fun
I was a person who thought I would never be able to stay off the drink for more than a week at most, as soon as I felt physically ok off the last bender, I was off on another one.
It's very worth seeing the first couple of weeks through, I think that even at this stage
Old 09-07-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Very few of us feel at peace at 25 hours - but it will come backtogood - don't doubt it

D
Old 09-07-2020, 03:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I usually get emotional about 5 days into quitting. I just put it down to all the pent up anxiety and stress of quitting.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

I felt sad and helpless around day 3 and 4, then, my mood was back to good.
I now have sugary drinks for meals (something that never did before) and keep myself always busy.

Hang in there! I can do it.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was very emotional in the early days and weeks. I remember crying for no reason, even in public. It does pass though.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes
Absolutely normal
Don't let it discourage you. It's hard but worth the effort
Old 09-07-2020, 07:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes, heightened emotions are pretty normal in early sobriety.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Backtogood View Post
Thanks for everyone for your thoughts, I'm not good with change and this one, however wonderful, is challenging. I feel overwhelmed.
Yes, it's very challenging, but you can do it. What worked for me was to make a list of things I needed/wanted to do each week. Then, each day, I would cross off a couple of things and it gave me a feeling of progressing and accomplishing something.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

During early recovery I felt very emotional too, I thought it was similar to the emotions one has when a first child is born, like an awakening of a whole new emotional state. It takes a bit of getting used too but as others have said, it becomes normal after a while.