Notices

Alarming physical symptoms

Old 09-04-2020, 06:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
I have been really hitting the caffeine hard, so I'm backing off it. What does a typical meal look like to you on keto?
Breakfast - nothing

Lunch - eggs, fried pork skins or bacon (nothing with sugars, some companies are sneaky), nuts.

Dinner - salami, Brussel sprouts dipped in extremely low carb salad dressing (blue cheese, Italian, garlic parm).

I try and use the few carbs that I do eat to get some fiber.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post
Breakfast - nothing

Lunch - eggs, fried pork skins or bacon (nothing with sugars, some companies are sneaky), nuts.

Dinner - salami, Brussel sprouts dipped in extremely low carb salad dressing (blue cheese, Italian, garlic parm).

I try and use the few carbs that I do eat to get some fiber.
Yeah, sounds like what I eat when I go
low carb. My cholesterol was slightly elevated so I’ll have to watch my sat fats. Thanks RD.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

On the advice of my doctor, my husband and I switched to a largely fish and vegan diet to lower my cholesterol. It worked great and neither of us is the least bit overweight anymore. We aren't that strict either. We still occasionally eat meat and often eat ice cream or pie for an after-dinner treat.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I’m sorry you’re not feeling well BABM. This year has definitely sucked the energy out of me s few times, I keep finding the need to ground myself and to push myself to get out and exercise. I have found Weight Watchers to be successful for me. They have different plans depending on what you like to eat, and you can do the program fully online.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Probiotics and enzymes for me. Plain yogurt or Kefir with your meals may help. You can blend them with fresh pineapple.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Your question/situation is awesome and this site is uniquely equipped to answer it.

Since you already got the ok from a Dr. Now it is all about suffering and time.

AA talks about the miracle happening. My miracle is still happening. It actually started happening around day 1 and it happened some more last night when I was at the gym with my kid at 10 pm.

The diet thing is huge and it can be fun. Now that I am this clean from booze, never drinking again, I am enjoying my new lifestyle of food control.

So many of the most successful people on the planet have food control issues. Food addiction. It is obvious by their appearance if it is a small issue or not.

Bottom line is I have to make sure I am good and hungry before I eat, and I have to use serious portion control. I have to get used to being hungry. It is amazing how much we can do on an empty stomach. It just takes going for it and being ready to be uncomfortable.

Breakfast is usually about 14 to 18 hours or more after my last meal. I make sure to take my time eating it and that it is smallish in portions. I have fruit/nuts/yogurt/chips etc for my mid day meal. Again, ideally my stomach is growling before I eat.

I want my furnace hot.

Dinner is also smallish. Some protien and some veggie. This is the hardest meal for me to control. I love dinner.

The only way to get my weight down is to change my lifestyle. Not diet. I need to get used to being nice and hungry before I eat.

No more grazing all day like a fat cow. Sir, step away from the fork.

I do go out and eat like a horse sometimes. But, this is a special occasion and not the norm.

I have managed to lose about 10 pounds in about a month. My goal to to get down to about 200 pounds. I am about 225 right now.

Regarding energy levels. If I haven't done anything all day, there is a good chance I have more energy than I feel. If I have been busy, stressed, and already hit the gym for a moderate work out, I am likely as tired as I feel. I work out at a fitness center for about 1 to 2 hours, 4 to 7 days straight. Then take a day or 2 off.

Working out is the most important part of my physical/mental health in several ways. For me, this is what saved my life, besides SR.

In my early days of sobriety, I was not ready for what I am doing now. If I didn't keep my belly full, I was craving like a madman and feeling light headed. But, now my body/mind have stabilized and I can do more difficult things.

Suffering and time.

Thanks for the therapy.

Hope this helps is some way.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have more of a strategy than a diet to offer. I am pushing 50, and over 3 years have gotten in my best shape since I was much younger. When I quit, I allowed myself as much fresh fruit as I wanted, and I still eat a lot of it. I eat as much fresh veg as I can, and get my protein from dairy (yogurt and cheese), beans and rice, and some chicken. I avoid processed foods (cereal, dressings, etc.) as much as possible.

I spent some time using the fatsecret app to figure out how many calories I was consuming. It takes surprisingly little to meet your RDA. It helped recalibrate my portions and moved me away from meats which are calorie dense. Keto just never clicked with me, but I did try something close to it years ago (anyone remember the South Beach Diet craze?)

Basically, I eat reasonable portions of whole foods. I’ve never been a breakfast eater, so I guess I sort of do intermittent fasting. Coffee with almond milk in the am, salad, crackers, cheese and fruit for lunch (with fruit before noon if I’m really hungry), and rice/beans/eggs or chicken/protein/veg for dinner. Yogurt/fruit/seeds/granola bar (processed!) for dessert. Bread on occasion. It’s worked and it is cheap.

The struggle is real. Middle age spread is such a thing.
-bora
Old 09-05-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

We're in the middle of a pandemic which is causing massive upheaval in everyone's lives. It has had tremendous impact on physical and mental health. Maybe worth keeping in mind !
Old 09-06-2020, 10:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Babm, when I drink too much caffeine or not enough water that is how I feel. Also, when I don't exercise enough. Congrats on all the sober time!
Old 09-06-2020, 11:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
Babm, when I drink too much caffeine or not enough water that is how I feel. Also, when I don't exercise enough. Congrats on all the sober time!
I’ll make some adjustments on both fronts. Thanks Max. Hope you’re doing well.

We’re actually doing it man!
Old 09-07-2020, 04:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I’ve never really resolved the weight gain, sugar issues, food control problem since getting sober.

Im a “one bite sets me off” sort of person with all food. Keto used to work for me but since getting sober I overeat that also.

food = alcohol to my brain as far as the pattern goes so I fast.

i fast every 72-90 hours for weight loss and then for weight maintenance I fast every 22-24 hours with a long workout on hour 21 or so right before eating.

calorie restriction makes me crazy, I will be constantly hungry for weeks when I cut calories, but with fasting the hunger goes away by the next day, and then I can think about other things besides food.

i have to get away from food to function.

So when I do eat, I include a lot of protein and a multivitamin along with all the other things I can’t stop eating for a day, then head right back on a fast.

I haven’t noticed any muscle loss or even that much significant weight loss: I do lose about 15 lbs a month doing every 72, though I weight cycle constantly with the same 30 pounds, I have accepted weight cycling because I know otherwise, if I just kept eating or trying to cut, I’d become very overweight or worse.

most people don’t have a problem like this, just sharing that fasting and only fasting can tame my hunger, nothing else does it. Drinking so much for so long has destroyed all my appetite signals, unfortunately.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:37 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

If I were you I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just stay focused on not drinking and keep up with your walking. I was also very surprised that I didn't drop any weight when I first stopped drinking. I am walking 4 to 6 miles a day and didn't drop a pound. After 9 months I am just starting to see really nice changes and have dropped 10 lbs. Hang in there and things will change. Stop worrying
about it and be proud of yourself for not drinking that is all that matters at the moment.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I ate minimal today, but everything I ate I absolutely loved.

Homemade breakfast sandwich, some tortilla chips with homemade sour cream garlic dip, fruit, ramen with egg.

My last meal was at 4 pm. It is now 9 pm. My stomach is growling. But, I am going to man up and go to bed.

I ate enough food today. I am not going to starve to death while I am sleeping.

Just got back from the gym. Washed up and going to bed.

I am going to change my eating lifestyle just like I changed my drinking lifestyle.

Thin people get used to not eating all the time. Food is not the priority.

Thanks.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

That extreme fatigue really worried me when I quit. It lasted longer than I thought it should. But the doctor told me my numbers were fine. So I tried not to worry about it so much, and kept on eating the way I was. The fatigue did eventually get a little better (after 2-3 months, as I recall), but it really got better when I knocked off eating as much sugar as I wanted, and shifting to a lower-carb diet overall. When I first quit drinking I let myself eat whatever I wanted for a while, but when I started watching my carbs (not keto, just mindful and trying to stick to 70 ish grams a day), I noticed a vast improvement. I slacked off on the low-carb approach over the past few months (stuck working at home, refrigerator RIGHT THERE, feeling anxious about stuff) and I was right back to feeling sluggish. I'm back at work in the office now, and getting back to more mindful eating and more physical activity. I can tell it's working already, after a couple of weeks.

But BABM, I'd ask if they did an A1C test. There could be something up with your blood sugar. Pretty common for heavy drinkers to have issues with it, and it could explain some of your symptoms. Keep talking to your doctor about how you feel. There could be something up.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
That extreme fatigue really worried me when I quit. It lasted longer than I thought it should. But the doctor told me my numbers were fine. So I tried not to worry about it so much, and kept on eating the way I was. The fatigue did eventually get a little better (after 2-3 months, as I recall), but it really got better when I knocked off eating as much sugar as I wanted, and shifting to a lower-carb diet overall. When I first quit drinking I let myself eat whatever I wanted for a while, but when I started watching my carbs (not keto, just mindful and trying to stick to 70 ish grams a day), I noticed a vast improvement. I slacked off on the low-carb approach over the past few months (stuck working at home, refrigerator RIGHT THERE, feeling anxious about stuff) and I was right back to feeling sluggish. I'm back at work in the office now, and getting back to more mindful eating and more physical activity. I can tell it's working already, after a couple of weeks.

But BABM, I'd ask if they did an A1C test. There could be something up with your blood sugar. Pretty common for heavy drinkers to have issues with it, and it could explain some of your symptoms. Keep talking to your doctor about how you feel. There could be something up.
Thanks MLD, this thread has morphed into a diet-only conversation when the truth is I'm eating as good or better than I ever have. I don't want to sound ungrateful for the diet tips though, I'm going to incorporate some of them. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow and I'll mention A1C. Something is majorly off. Headaches every morning and no energy, in fact lack of energy, debilitating fatigue. Sunday was a pretty good day though, so I have hope and I appreciate your message. I am really trying to not worry about it. My body is adjusting and I need to give it time. I hope.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

How long ago did you give up caffeine? Those headaches could be caffeine withdrawal. I exercise every day and have to make sure I drink a lot of water. If not I end up getting headaches from dehydration. I can actually feel the headaches coming on when I’m in bed at night. Dehydration can also lead to fatigue but I would check with your doctor to make sure.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Free.

Congrats on 43 days BABM!

Glad you’re feeling well in spirit.

Did your Doc test your liver function?
I've been paranoid about this myself. At 54 days sober my urine is strong and dark, then cloudy every third day. I guess my liver is shedding some fats (??)
When I read that fatigue and bloating might be liver related it kind of freaks me out.

Hope the physical stuff sorts itself over time. The best we can do is abstain and try to eat well.

I was never a breakfast guy either. When I committed, in the past, to a bowl of decent fibre cereal (shredded wheat) each morning I lost 15 lbs in 3 weeks.

Stay well.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:01 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Free.

Also, get some thiamine in ya.
As Alcoholics, we deplete our brain of thiamine. I use a redoxon B complex that has thiamine in it. Effervescent tablets. Fun.

disclaimer (because they ask us to): CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR for any diet changes or supplements.

Stay well BABM!
Old 09-09-2020, 10:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

My weight gain when I first quit was water. I couldn't figure it out for a bit. I was swelling all over. My legs itched. My doctor put me on a water pill and I lost about ten pounds in a week. When I look back at pictures from even 3 months after I quit, you can see the swelling in my face. It can be serious and if it is the case, please talk to your doctor. The fatigue, I've been told, is Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms (PAWS). This goes away with time. Remember, drinking lots of water is your friend.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:22 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

BABM,
Hope all goes well with the doc. After your last comment, I wanted to share my experience with fatigue.

When drinking, I don’t think I ever really rested. Being shocked awake at 2am and fidgeting until the alarm was normal. I remember thinking when Michael Jackson died that I could understand how someone could be so desperate for sleep. Early sobriety brought about the same exhausted feeling I had only experienced in early pregnancy. The “can’t take not one more step” feeling.

A few months in and I started really sleeping. I got the sleep cycle app early on, and have now tracked my sleep for years. I was amazed that during years 1 and 2 I could easily sleep 10-12 hours multiple nights a week. DS teased me as I’d go to bed at 7 and be out by 7:30. It was almost concerning.

As I approached the 3 year mark things settled down. I have a more “normal” bedtime of 9-10 and wake up 5-6. I honestly believe that I had run such a sleep deficit for so long that it just took a while for my body to catch up. I have also read since that alcohol gives that “sugar jolt” of energy that keeps alcoholics functioning even when exhausted.

Don’t lose hope. I am not at all implying it took until year 3 to feel rested. Improvements in my energy levels continued throughout that period, and still do today. I just to share that, in hindsight, I think I had to make up for some of what I put myself through.
-bora