Notices

Day 1

Old 08-10-2020, 01:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Its got to be. Once I started drinking I just couldn't stop. Its been 5 days now. I need to end it today.
Yes - you can stop. If you need it to end - then end it. You're all powerful here.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Glad to hear day 1 is in the past and you’re learning from it. That’s how it went for me. I really had to dig in on my thinking. For me, when I relapsed, I was usually thinking “ tomorrow will be easier”. Either that or justifying going back to trying to moderate. I could never get passed a few days without cracking because of these thoughts.

I think what Made it click for me was a combination of acceptance that I’ll never be a normal drinker. I just let it go. And I had HOPE that life would eventually get better without alcohol. I just had to trust in it.

If I told you I’ll give you a million dollars to stop for one year, do you think you could do it? I think a lot of us could if the money was guaranteed. Granted I could be wrong there.

Sobriety has even more to offer but all of the rewards are not as material... they are more abstract and take time to manifest. But if you do the work the rewards are guaranteed and much richer.

Stack up those sober days and you will see what I mean.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Glad to hear day 1 is in the past and you’re learning from it. That’s how it went for me. I really had to dig in on my thinking. For me, when I relapsed, I was usually thinking “ tomorrow will be easier”. Either that or justifying going back to trying to moderate. I could never get passed a few days without cracking because of these thoughts.

I think what Made it click for me was a combination of acceptance that I’ll never be a normal drinker. I just let it go. And I had HOPE that life would eventually get better without alcohol. I just had to trust in it.

If I told you I’ll give you a million dollars to stop for one year, do you think you could do it? I think a lot of us could if the money was guaranteed. Granted I could be wrong there.

Sobriety has even more to offer but all of the rewards are not as material... they are more abstract and take time to manifest. But if you do the work the rewards are guaranteed and much richer.

I like this post about having to have faith that it will get better. This is what I’m thinking when I listen to shares from people with years of sobriety. A year ago, I know I wouldn’t have had that $1M, I’m ready to go for it now.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post

This is so beautiful, I almost want to cry. So true!
Old 08-11-2020, 02:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone...I made it to day 2 and I am feeling bloody awful but I'm alive. Now I need to figure out why I never make it past three months
Old 08-11-2020, 02:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

I am so proud of you for making it through the difficult day 1 without drinking! Good job!
Old 08-11-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Keep us posted Gabe. Glad you made it through day 1. Stay strong.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Thanks everyone...I made it to day 2 and I am feeling bloody awful but I'm alive. Now I need to figure out why I never make it past three months
Day 2 is always THE WORST for me...because I think on Day 1...there is still enough alcohol in my body that I am not in full withdrawal and by Day 2 I am for sure in full withdrawal....Having the supplies you need or someone to help you GET THEM is essential for me.....I always ask my son or a friend to get me the fluids and any soup (usually Ramen noodles) that I think I can force a couple bites of....

I don't know your "living" situation...but I hope you don't have to work...and can focus on YEA...You can't do MUCH today but from here it only gets better...and it is a FIGHT...I know this...So fight hard for it....Best of luck today.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

That is a great question right Gabe? A few months seems to be the point at which your body and mind turn back on itself and convince you to pick up again. Good thing is now you have a few months to plan for that. Do some different things. I still really like the idea of you changing professions if that is remotely possible. I think trauma is piling up on you from your job.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone...

I am going to carry on posting on my Reaching Out thread, so please join me over there. I am going to go back to what I was doing and really writing about how I am feeling and what I am thinking about.

Surrendered - I was having exactly the same thoughts today and I think it's time for a change. It's time to make this the priority over everything else, even my job........even living with my husband unless he gets a grip. I am done accommodating things that are making it not possible for me to stay sober. I hate this.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter