Notices

Day 10, not going so great

Old 07-23-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 10, not going so great

When I quit for almost a month back in February, I had almost zero withdrawal symptoms. This time, its throwing me for a loop. The first two nights I had extreme anxiety but great sleep. Now I still have the full blown anxiety and little to no sleep.
I admit, I'm a pretty moody person and will tend to look for things to be pissy about. Today, I am shaking like a leaf and sick to my stomach for no good reason. If I had gotten more than a couple of hours sleep, this wouldn't be so bad. I even took my Klonopin at 9 in the morning to relieve some of the anxiety , which I hate to do but so far it hasn't helped.
I'm trying so hard, I want sobriety so badly but this anxiety is killing me. To top it all off, hubby and I lost medical insurance last week so I cant even call my doctor. I find mymyself slipping into a dark hole when I'm just trying to make things better.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Sorry you are going through a difficult time. I don't have advice but I wanted to say I understand as I have had those symptoms in early sobriety. Hopefully things will level out as you make it through the day.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah Jen, this so so sucks. I'd say try to get some exercise but when you are feeling so crumby, it probably isn't possible. Bill Wilson (AA founder) had depression and just used to walk a lot when things are bad.

Please hang on the best you can to just get through each minute.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you in the U.S.?

If so, go to your state's medical insurance website. There are marketplace insurance plans that are subsidized for those who qualify.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe try some meditation too? I find that really helps with anxiety. Here are some on Youtube you might find helpful

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=mindful+peace

I also have A LOT of baths when I am anxious, it really seems to help. Walking too is great.

I'm sorry you feel this way but it will start to get better with more sober time.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

You are going through detox right now. You won't feel great since your body needs to learn to live without drinking. Give time time. Practice sober living. You got this! Just don't drink today and keep talking with others!
Old 07-23-2020, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you lost your insurance RedheadJen. Can't phone your doctor! That totally sucks, incomprehensible.

All that I know is drinking will only make it worse. Much worse. For me it did. Every time in the end. Nightmare.

I've got stuff going on in other ways, but am beginning to really like dealing with life sober. It's having me grow as a person. "Life on life's terms". It's real. Sounds wanky, but it's true.

Ten days is great. I hope you don't drink. You can do it sober.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Since I got sober I've learned that lack of sleep is the biggest trigger for anxiety (for me). Throw detox on top of that and it's no wonder you feel the way you do.

No need to question yourself either (why am I like this?)...those kinds of thoughts feeds the anxiety. You are right where you need to be. It's ok.

Day 10 is pretty darn awesome but you're in the thick of it right now. be gentle with yourself. When I think about my anxiety level at day 10 and compare that to my now 200+ days, there is no comparison. IT DOES GET BETTER.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=RedheadJen;7482048I admit, I'm a pretty moody person and will tend to look for things to be pissy about. Today, I am shaking like a leaf and sick to my stomach for no good reason. If I had gotten more than a couple of hours sleep, this wouldn't be so bad. I even took my Klonopin at 9 in the morning to relieve some of the anxiety , which I hate to do but so far it hasn't helped.
I'm trying so hard, I want sobriety so badly but this anxiety is killing me. To top it all off, hubby and I lost medical insurance last week so I cant even call my doctor. I find mymyself slipping into a dark hole when I'm just trying to make things better. [/QUOTE]

A couple of things ... first, you have a great reason for feeling sick. Detox doesn't feel good. Nobody feels good when they detox. It isn't supposed to feel good. The illness is your body's way of telling you that it isn't happy with you.

Second, I can't think of a more crazy thing to do than take a benzo to help you through your alcohol induced detox (anxiety). Klonopin is a benzo. Do you know how EVIL benzos are? I do because I used to take them. I took Klonopin and Xanax and they both do the same thing - they start acting immediately to rid a person of their anxiety. They're effective And they're extremely addicting, especially for people who love alcohol because they provide the same effect.

You might find it helpful to do your own research on benzos (Klonopin). Ultimately, they, along with alcohol, can and do lead to seizures. They did for me.

Be very careful with that stuff. I honestly recommend that you try to get through your detox without the pills. It's way too easy to become unknowingly addicted to the pills while detoxing or going through withdrawal. That's exactly what happened to me. Detoxing from both together is nothing short of pure agony. You don't want to put yourself through that - trust me.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry you don't feel good Jen. Tea helped me a lot in the early stages.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you can get outside and go for a walk or get some excersie. That can make ALL the difference. Either way, going back to drinking will just make it worse in the long term.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder that medical advice is not allowed here and medical advice includes telling/advising/suggesting people not to take their meds.

SR folks are very canny and smart and may well be right but only a person's doctor or other medical professional can make those determinations.

Lets back away from that line.

Share a bad experience, sure, but experience only please

Dee
Administrator
SR

Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Samantha

when I'm that anxious not much helps me...medication or otherwise.
something that helps take my mind off it is a long long walk...a couple of hours at least.
I'll walk along each row of houses in my neighborhood and see who has a cat or dog outside, or how many kinda of birds I can see. I count the bunnies and squirrels. Makes me feel like I'm busy, anyways.
I hope you can find something that helps you.