Notices

Tempted to Drink

Old 07-14-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
glad to hear it all worked out for the sober side for today, freedomfries.

this here:"I guess just to feel the slight buzz of two beers. I really don't want to have to reset my counter." sounds to me like the struggle between two wants: the immediate and the long-term. taking actions to put beans on the side of the scale for sobriety is the way to go. you spoke in another thread of getting a sponsor...how is that going?
Haven't really made any headway tbh. I'm just back at my home group for the last five days. I guess I feel I should show up to more meetings and get to know people before I ask anyone to be my sponsor.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Awesome to hear you made it through the urge!

Keep working on it and you will be successful
Old 07-14-2020, 09:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Is this how it has to be in AA? Seems that you should be worried about sobriety and the steps and not so worried about getting a sponsor. Do people not just come out and ask openly? I tend to be a direct person which is why I ask.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:42 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Glad you got through. When was 2 beers every enough? Remember your seizure -you don't want to go through that again
Old 07-14-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
Is this how it has to be in AA? Seems that you should be worried about sobriety and the steps and not so worried about getting a sponsor. Do people not just come out and ask openly? I tend to be a direct person which is why I ask.
No they do. It's really not a big deal at all.

I think FF is just a little hesitant lol. Don't overthink any of it FF...
Old 07-14-2020, 02:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Coffee Snob

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
At the end of the meeting the chair person usually asks all who are willing and available to sponsor to please raise your hand. At least this is how it goes at the meetings in my city.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Haven't really made any headway tbh. I'm just back at my home group for the last five days. I guess I feel I should show up to more meetings and get to know people before I ask anyone to be my sponsor.
just ask someone FF. If they say no, they weren’t a good fit anyway.
Hopefully they’ll say yes or direct you to someone who will
D
Old 07-14-2020, 03:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made it through the urge FF. Well done.

Agree with Doggoncarl that any amount of alcohol on top of Antabuse is going to make you feel unwell. I had a friend (in rehab) who did that and it didn't work out well at all. She'd had a tough life and it was very sad.

On reading your thread saw an urge pass right before my very eyes. It was great to see. Urges rise, and then they pass. And it gets easier each and every time.

Keep surfing those urges FF. It works.

Old 07-14-2020, 03:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

You all the way ok now, ff?

Temporary sponsors are a thing. Most of the meetings in my area don't offer up sponsors any time during the meeting, but there are plenty of times I've heard new people include "I'm looking for a temporary sponsor" in their share. That's all you need say. Someone will come forward, guaranteed. And if they don't come forward from that one meeting, try another. I'd be amazed if you were still sponsor-less after asking at two different meetings.

Dee makes a good point about online meetings. There are tons of them now and it pretty much eliminates any excuse to not go. I prefer going to the AA website in my area and finding meetings I might attend once we're able to go in person again. If you simply Google "AA Boston" (or wherever), you will find them.

O
Old 07-14-2020, 03:44 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Oh and yeah, drinking on Antabuse is miserable far before you finish the first drink. At least it should be. If you can get away with two, you might need to talk with the doctor about increasing the dose; at least I did and, wow, did it make a difference.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Samantha

A couple drinks is never enough anyways. Glad you were able to get to a meeting instead! I know it's hard to get a sponsor. I tried 2 cities and 4 different groups before giving up, but I needed a female and TBH...not many at the groups I was able to get to and I wanted to be sure I got the right person...im sure you're searching for that right person and you'll know when you meet them 😃