Notices

One Week In

Old 07-06-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up One Week In

It was a week ago that I reconnected with these forums after around 6 years. I said I would stay connected after a serious binge where I was unresponsive, throwing up blood etc, not in control of my bodily functions, uffgh. Thankfully I have made it to a week clean and a lot of the horrible early symptoms of withdrawal are subsiding. I am still irritable but after going through this time and again I recognise it. After years of being trapped in a 1 to 3 day drinking cycle I have been able to put together good periods of sobriety over the last couple of years. 100 days, 60 days, 30 days etc. I am usually able to deal with urges but there is always that one time I will get one that takes over…..and then the cycle starts again. I’m pretty sure it’s because my recovery after so many days is no longer front and centre of my priorities. THIS is what I need to change, so I am looking at more resources. I am a big fan of Belle Robertson (Tired of thinking about drinking) I’ve just gone onto a waiting list to a year’s course/email exchange type of thing. Will see what happens there. To further focus the mind, I also have finally started marathon training for a race in October in Yorkshire, should that go ahead. Even after a week of sobriety my heartrate is quite elevated to what it usually is. It really was a binge to end all binges :/

I’ve been reading all the posts this week and it has helped to keep me motivated. I am more of a reader than poster but think it’s important for me to stay accountable.

Keep up the good fight people and reach out if you’re struggling. Thanks for having me.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on the week redlboro

D
Old 07-06-2020, 05:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is a great post Redlboro. I think you should post more. A marathon hmmm? Careful not to trade one injurious habit for another. But at least with marathon training there are many many other ancillary benefits. Go easy on yourself and build in some quiet time and time to sit and watch the world go by. Those pursuits are healthy too. Congrats on a week. Those are 7 tough tough days.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A week is a great start to a lifetime of freedom from drinking.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A week is an accomplishment and usually when I start feeling better.
I am a binge drinker as you are...I don't know if I could quit and go right into marathon training...but if this is good for YOU...than keep hydrated while training.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all, much appreciated
Old 07-07-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great job on getting one week of sobriety.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on the week.

I'm in a similar boat at at moment,so I know a bit about how you are feeling. It will be a week since my last drink tomorrow.

I'm very much in the same as in that I'd get a bit of sobriety, start to feel good, then take that first drink, then ten days later picking up the pieces and going through those hellish first four/five days of withdrawal.

I've had some bad ones the last two years, this time around I decided to taper rather than go cold turkey, it seems to have worked. I took a load of Vit B (thaimin) each day which i think has helped. Sleep pattern is still over the place, ify I get any at all. Thankfully, the anxiety and physical horribleness has subsided.

Now ​​it's about keeping this sobriety going, I'm not looking to far ahead, even if it's just for the rest of today for now, it's a start.

AJ

Old 07-07-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andyjenno81 View Post
Well done on the week.

I'm in a similar boat at at moment,so I know a bit about how you are feeling. It will be a week since my last drink tomorrow.

I'm very much in the same as in that I'd get a bit of sobriety, start to feel good, then take that first drink, then ten days later picking up the pieces and going through those hellish first four/five days of withdrawal.

I've had some bad ones the last two years, this time around I decided to taper rather than go cold turkey, it seems to have worked. I took a load of Vit B (thaimin) each day which i think has helped. Sleep pattern is still over the place, ify I get any at all. Thankfully, the anxiety and physical horribleness has subsided.

Now ​​it's about keeping this sobriety going, I'm not looking to far ahead, even if it's just for the rest of today for now, it's a start.

AJ
Thanks AJ, keep it going. We got this ✌
Old 07-07-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a week Redlboro!
Old 07-07-2020, 11:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Many congrats on your week sober Here's to many more