Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

The frustration of watching family members on the addiction journey

Notices

Old 07-02-2020, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just wanted to get this off my chest. Over the past 9 months or so I've been watching 2 of my sisters head full steam towards alcoholism. This past few months has made it more and more obvious. Non-stop drinking memes, jokes about getting "wasted", parties dedicated strictly to getting as drunk as possible, drinking and driving, injuries while drinking, etc. All of us can recognize it but one of my sisters is especially in denial. She is a nurse and because she has a hard job feels it's ok to cope by blacking out on non-working days and sees no issue with it. I can completely relate as I've been there before but after 7 months of sobriety it's extremely painful to watch. My other sister knows first hand what this road leads to if you choose to stay on it. Her mother has completely destroyed her liver and has been 3 years sober with zero improvement in the function of the liver. Recently her mother started drinking again and will surely die sooner rather than later. Her sons encourage the drinking (likely because they too have alcohol dependency issues and miss drinking with her). My little sister confessed to binge drinking for almost 4 weeks straight and having withdrawals when she quit. I guess I'm just completely frustrated especially since I've been completely open with my alcoholism and hoped to be a cautionary tale. All I can do for now is listen to them and express concern without hitting them over the head with it. Thanks for listening.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, as I'm sure you know, they will need to make the decision themselves and be willing to do the work. Focus on yourself and maybe they will decide to follow your example.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep that's all I can do. I figured something was up when one of my sisters (who calls me almost every day) didn't call me for almost a month. The binge explains it. I usually just give her space and let her come to me when she feels like she could use some advice. My other sister is just in complete denial that regular black out binge drinking isn't normal behavior. I think something really bad would have to happen to her for her to realize there is a problem.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is hard to watch. Hope your sisters find the moment of clarity we both did, CS..

D
Old 07-02-2020, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have 4 children that all drink. The 2 boys seem to be the ones with a problem. I know that I can't say much cause it would just keep them away from me more than they are already. I don't see any of them much . I think they are respecting my sobriety. All I can do is lead by example.. It's a tough situation. Best wishes.