Notices

Sober 7 days but different this time?!

Old 06-13-2020, 03:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober 7 days but different this time?!

Hello all, been a member for quite a few years and had quite a few sober spells, last one being 6 months and before then a year.

Last time I stopped (last summer) I went into a detox place for a week, hated it due to my anxiety and lots of people but was fine and came out in good shape (no weight gain etc).

In February I started drinking again (about 20 cans a day but down to 5 before I stopped about 3 weeks ago). I was drinking the same about or more last time before I went into detox.

This time I even had anxiety when I was drinking towards the end and have put on quite a lot of weight which has never happened before? I’m still anxious and have a large appetite but I think the anxiety is due to my weight gain. I was given a prescription for Valium and thiamine from the GP and did a home detox again (same as times before I did a inpatient one).

I have also suffered from lack of bowel movement so bought some laxatives and loads of vitamins.

I was just wondering if anyone who has relapsed a few time had weight gain for a change when other times not? Diet has been pretty good but been eating quite a lot.

Cheers, H

Old 06-13-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry, I put 3 weeks sober but what I meant is I cut down 3 weeks ago. Been sober 7 days
Old 06-13-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exercising? Everyone is different but the same. Pretty early in recovery. Your body is freaking out and needs time to adjust. Best wishes.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cheers.

Not been exercising much at all really as my anxiety has been to bad to go out. In the past when detoxing I didn’t exercise and didn’t put anything on while drinking or after either so I’m not sure.

I did call my GP yesterday who said it might be due to just bloating as I’m not passing enough which in turn is making me more anxious due to my looks.

All in all though, I have found this detox regarding shakes, sleeping etc apart from anxiety sooo much easier this time. Maybe it’s because I went down to 4 beers a day instead of 4 bottles of wine a day before stopping?
Old 06-15-2020, 04:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on quitting! I gained weight orver the years from drinking. I am a woman, 5'7", weighing in at 195 lbs. I feel horrible. It took at least 5 yrs to put that on. I am on about 3 wks sober. I am cutting back on bad carbs. I try ti drink lots of water and I am walking.. I got 7 miles in yesterday. I am going to try intermittent fasting. Eating your healthy foods for one day during 8 hour period and fasting for 16 hours. Still drinking water. I am on day 3 or it....You can goole it.... Stay strong!
Old 06-15-2020, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, I’m no doctor and can’t but maybe it’s the cutting down and the weight gain is actually a good thing? Alcohol is full of calories but if we only use alcohol they are empty calories and no nutrients for our bodies to absorbe, hence many of us actually loose weight when our drinking is at its worst.
A lot of addicts weight fluctuates after giving up alcohol as either your body is getting too many calories and turning it to fat or not enough nutrients and so no fat but also no muscle gain.
I wouldn’t stress too much about the scales. Once i fully gave in And got long term sober I gained weight and I struggle with that idea but what I don’t have anymore is red or jaundice eyes, random cuts and bruises, mental health is more stable and able to actually focus on healthy eating and a really big one is healthy organs!
I can now tell if I’m genuinely anxious about something and not just because im just waiting on my next relapse and it is much easier to manage.
just give it time. Sounds like you detoxed safely if you saw a doctor and tapered down.
something that I heard someone say once and has stayed with me about weight was “there are no prizes for being the skinniest skeleton in the graveyard”.