Notices

Anxiety medication and recovery

Old 06-10-2020, 06:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was there back in 2014...bad anxiety several months into sobriety and not sleeping well at all. Ultimately I found a doc familiar with alcohol abuse issues who put me on a sleep aid right away called Trazodone. This helped my frazzled brain to start to get ahead of the curve as it were. Sleep is critical for recovery and this helped me feel better after a few days.

I was also tested for certain things: my vitamin D levels were low so started a supplement and also took Thiamin (vitamin B1) as he said often alcoholics have low levels of this crucial vitamin.

A bit later i started on an SSRI called Lexapro which is similar to Prozac, Zoloft, etc. Although SSRIs take a little while to get used to, after a month my anxiety had plummeted. As a long-time anxiety sufferer I hadn’t really felt real relief in years, even when drinking.

it really helps to work with your doctor on a plan that fits your situation.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Like others have said you should talk to your doc. Also consider therapy I.e. CBT. If you are in the US you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that prescribes benzos so either way you'll likely be given something that isn't habit forming.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:17 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

In my recovery process I went to my doctor and opened up and they gave me some non addictive SRI's. I also began seeing a therapist. I actually came off of those meds because I was doing so good on my quit and not feeling too anxious but I may need to rethink that as my quit did not stick. Be honest and they will not prescribe you something addictive.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wow Anna, I forgot about Lucinda Bassett. I still struggle with generalized anxiety but I used to have debilitating anxiety over flying. I bought her "cassettes" way back when and they were a real help. Wow, blast from the past.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

For me, anxiety is two-fold and they need different types of attention/coping.
1. Generalized anxiety that is largely physiological, I am prone to and have had it pretty much as far as I can recall (although I was not so aware in my youth and often mistook it for other things).
2. Situational anxiety, which are sometimes caused by normal life stressors but, more than anything, I can cause it to myself with making bad choices. Avoidance, procrastination...

I handle 1. mostly with the lifestyle things and learning about it that others have mentioned. I do research on mental health-related topics for living, which is really fun and the knowledge very useful for me personally as well (understanding what really goes on, instead of projecting it into other things and then looking for solutions in all the wrong places). Tried some prescription psych meds for quite short periods of time, but I found they were too strong for me, had more unwanted side effects than benefits, and I didn't feel I needed them in the end, so didn't play around much with finding the best dosage or combination. I had better experiences with some mild, non-prescription substances like Ashwagandha and CBD, especially the latter - the effects are subtle but perfectly enough for me and what I need, no noticeable negatives. I take them as needed, not regularly (although tried regularly as well in the beginning). They never cause cravings or preoccupation.

For 2., it is mostly self-discipline plus using environmental and social resources to keep me motivated. I really find if I handle this well and do not avoid/procrastinate, my anxiety is almost negligible most of the time. I find productivity very inspiring and rewarding, so it boosts my mood and feeds back even on the physiologically-driven states positively. The trick is not letting it drop and start avoiding again, which can be challenging.

I tried psychotherapy in the past and parts of it were interesting and good lessons, but it had no effect on my anxiety per se. Maybe if I had a therapist/counselor who focused on challenging me and working on my discipline, so enhancing 2., but the ones I tried were not good at that and I stopped looking. I actually find that many of my high-achiever colleagues and friends play that role much better and for free.

I must also say that not all of being prone to anxiety is bad. If it is not severe and is handled well, I find it makes me a very good planner (always anticipating potential issues, so I am inspired to try and prevent/solve them). It also makes me second-guess and question myself, so helps to improve.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I started taking Rx years ago when I stopped cocaine. I remember not wanting it, simply because I didnt want to have to take it and imply to myself that I was somehow mentally unstable. But the truth was, my brain was all messed up from the abuse and the medication did help. There are a lot of different kinds, dosages, and some can have side effects. But you just talk to the doctor and together find one that works after giving it adequate time. Usually a few weeks. Some have side effects that also go away in a few weeks. I'd suggest patience and not panic when trying them. Has helped me sleep also. Feel a lot better when I actually get some rest.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I've been taking various antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds for years while I was drinking. When I got sober last year, I also weaned off all my medications so that I could get to my "base" level, and find out what I really needed (if anything). It turned out that several months into my sobriety I was suffering from major depression and anxiety, and I went back to my doc to try a new medication. I currently take Trintillex and Trazodone and although I still have my struggles, they help keep me on a more even keel and allow me to function. They're not habit-forming and side-effects are minimal, which was extremely important to me.

OP - there are many options out there, whether you go the medication route or not that are safe and effective for us addicts.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I have my appointment to discuss my anxiety in an hour. Fingers crossed!
Old 06-17-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good luck! I hope everything goes well for you.

Anti-depressant/anxiety meds were a massive game changer for me and how I felt day to day. I am so grateful to have had an awesome GP, who helped me navigate my choices regarding meds for my mental health. It feel liberating just to talk about it with someone!
Old 06-17-2020, 08:53 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Antidepressants never did anything to me exept making me fat, lazy and impotent.

Benzos on the other hand, especially Ativan ... huh ... Anxiety killer. Ativan did "save my life" a few years back but in the end it caused me waaaay too much trouble. I've made some real stupid decisions and actions on it. Doctors know what they say when they mention that benzos are alcohol in pills. Especially the really contrentated ones - Xanax, Klonopin and Ativan. Nonono!

I believe anxiety is a learned behaviour which can be undone. I mean ... what can a panic attack do to me? Kill me? So what if I feel fear and uncomfortable in my position? Will I try to escape from my feelings forever and only rely on shortcuts? I mean, they are just feelings. And with that mindset I came from agoraphobia to practically anxiety-free life. Oh ... 10 months free from benzos.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I was prescribed zoloft, low dose. I'll give it a shot. I'm also going to do CBT.

Thanks for all of your support and thoughtful responses. It was really helpful!
Old 06-19-2020, 07:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I've been taking Venlafaxine to treat anxiety and depression for something like 10 years and have received a higher dosage while sober for the last 4 weeks. I suppose it can be different for everyone, but like other's have said, I don't find it habit forming. It doesn't give me any sense of euphoria or desire to take more than prescribed; just helps balance my mood. I definitely noticed the difference if I forget to take it. Talk to your doctor and figure out what's best for you.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I hope you can get some relief with the zoloft, Mamatembo. I took paxil for few years before I quit, but it only helped a little because it's not effective mixed with booze. It was prescribed when I was still lying my face off to my doctor and therapist about my drinking. I took the big fat assessment at the therapist's office (can't remember what it was called right off the top of my head) and was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. About 6 months after I quit drinking I talked to my doctor, and she agreed to let me start tapering off the paxil, because I felt so much better (the drug was finally working). That was 5 years ago, and I haven't needed it again. Turns out the drinking was the biggest problem for me. It really messed with me as far as the depression and anxiety symptoms went. I would not hesitate to go back on it f I felt like I was feeling toward the end of my drinking (nearly suicidal) but for now I can manage the much more normal levels of anxiety I still experience sometimes with other means (meditation, exercise, visualization). You MAY find that you don't need long-term medication. But it's super important to discuss ALL of this with your doctor and therapist.