Notices

Gabapentin

Old 06-04-2020, 09:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gabapentin

I visited my doctor this morning and she prescribed me with Gabapentin. Any advice from others that have been on this prescription?

She also told me I need to come back to this forum. So, I'm back.

Last edited by secretchord; 06-04-2020 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Adding sentence
Old 06-04-2020, 10:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My friend takes it for chronic pain.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My husband takes it for chronic pain too. For many years now. He is an active alcoholic.

As I understand it Gabapentin is additive. He is also on other addictive meds. I really don't know how they effect him as I say he is actively drinking already anyway.

As a recovering A myself, I would be very reluctant to take it. When I have needed meds from my doctor, I always ask for one suitable for an A in recovery.

Many years ago I was prescribed cocodemol for pain after a dental procedure. It was horrendous. It woke up my alcohol cravings big time so I stopped taking it.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is being prescribed for alcohol cravings. I have no other addictions other than alcohol and food so I'm not worried about dependency.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by secretchord View Post
It is being prescribed for alcohol cravings. I have no other addictions other than alcohol and food so I'm not worried about dependency.
I'll tell you from experience my friend not a good choice. It is very addictive and has psychological effects. Im recovering from opiate addiction do I understand pills and the pain it brings very well. If you can go without it , it will definitely help in the long term with your addiction to alcohol. Please be safe
Old 06-04-2020, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to abuse it all the time. I looked it up on the internet and it told me how much to take and how to take it. An addictive personality has to be very careful with any kind of pain meds or anything that changes the way you feel. Best wishes!
Old 06-04-2020, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TGO

I do not find it addictive.

It is supposedly for those with diabetic or peripheral neuropathy which is basically a neuro problem. Almost like your walking on pins and needles. Legs go numb, you can fall easily. My friend takes it non prescibed. He says it calms him down.

In severe cases of neuropathy, you could step on a nail and your nerves are so fried you wouldn't even know it. But alcohol actually slowly eats away at the very outside of nerve cells. Some people although rare develop " alcoholic neuropathy. I see neuropathy all the time with patients I deal with.

Some people love it. Some people hate it. Some find it addictive. Some don't.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I have been taking it for several months for neuropathy pain. It doesn't do anything except make the nerve pain bearable. I have no side effects from Gabapentin. I have never taken more than the prescribed dose because the prescribed dose works for me. However, everyone responds to medications differently. I wasn't aware it was being prescribed for addiction.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am cautious now that I know it may be addictive. I am not extremely concerned though since I have taken other addictive prescriptions without abusing them. I have been prescribed valium for my panic disorder for about 20 years. I use it for anxiety 1-3 times per year. Never once have I abused it.

I just really hope this works for cravings and I can finally kick this addiction to the side.

Last edited by secretchord; 06-04-2020 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-04-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am on Gabapentin. Started 11 days ago and have been sober since. It lessened the initial withdrawal symptoms and I find it blocks alcohol cravings in me. 90 percent of prescriptions are for off-label use and more and more research/information on its effectiveness for various conditions is coming out.

Its effect on me may be different than for other people. I have ADHD and alcoholism. I know it is also prescribed to opiate addicts whose experience with Gabapentin may be different. In any event, for anyone curious, speak with a doctor.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I am on Gabapentin. Started 11 days ago and have been sober since. It lessened the initial withdrawal symptoms and I find it blocks alcohol cravings in me. 90 percent of prescriptions are for off-label use and more and more research/information on its effectiveness for various conditions is coming out.

Its effect on me may be different than for other people. I have ADHD and alcoholism. I know it is also prescribed to opiate addicts whose experience with Gabapentin may be different. In any event, for anyone curious, speak with a doctor.
Good to know. I probably have some form of ADHD as well though never diagnosed. I’m hopeful with this medication after reading your post. Congrats on 11 days. I hope to be there soon!
Old 06-04-2020, 08:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Gabapentin is the go to drug prescribed in detox to help people in early recovery. It is useful for preventing seizures in people withdrawing from alcohol. It also has many off label uses and receives mixed results for those ailments. For early recovery though, especially detoxing I know from experience it is very popular.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

Ask your doctor.

Took it many years ago. No side effects, no therapeutic effect. It would have been like being addicted to nothingness if that would have happened with me.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hubby is using it now as post surgery nerve pain for a knee replacement.....I looked on WebMD & nothing is posted about Alcohol Treatment using it. I couldn't find any info on if it is addictive.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
Hubby is using it now as post surgery nerve pain for a knee replacement.....I looked on WebMD & nothing is posted about Alcohol Treatment using it. I couldn't find any info on if it is addictive.

If you Google 'Gabapentin and Alcoholism', a few articles will come up. Some scholarly reports. Research seems to be in the early stages. I was initially prescribed it by an ER physician when I was there for withdrawals. My GP now is prescribing it.

Unlike medications like benzodiazepines, Gabapentin does not have addictive properties. The jury is still out it seems on it's habit-forming potential. I don't feel anything when I take it. I am supposed to take 4 doses a day, spread out every few hours. I often forget because there is no change if I don't take it. All I know is that I don't have any desire to drink whereas before even thinking about a cold beer would fire off my neurotransmitters in anticipation. I have walked by liquor stores every day recently and the irresistible impulse I usually have to fight is not there anymore. That's the only effect I have noticed Gabapentin having on me.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Interesting. I may have to try it if I feel weakness coming on.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

I was prescribed gabapentin while in detox several months ago and my psychiatrist has had me continue it. I find it effective for anxiety and for reducing cravings. I have a 3x a day prescription, but I just take it situationally now. No side effects and no addiction issues, I’ve been told it’s not addictive and that’s been my experience. I’d consult your doctor but all around good experience for me.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. I’m on day 5 now on naltrexone and Gabapentin. So far so good. No cravings and my anxiety seems lower already. I start my full dose (3 times per day) next week. I feel pretty good about this so far. The only side effect I notice is a headache and sleepiness.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This medication does not seem to be widely, or at all, prescribed in Ireland.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I work in mental health. In our programs, Gabapentin is treated as a "controlled substance" and must be counted every shift change. (3 times daily). It apparently has a street value so we have to account for it so that it doesn't go "missing". This has happened before so it's reasonable for us to have to account for it.