Notices

I really hate feeling my feelings

Old 05-11-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So typical to feel that way PK. I've noticed that part of the reason why emotions are such a roller coaster for people like us is because we never learned to right-size challenges, issues or problems that come our way. We couldn't think straight and so now when we get cut off in traffic, when we think of some mistake we made, something we said that didn't come out right - we make all of those things into WAY bigger problems than they actually are, and then it is off to the races with our emotions. Seeing clearly what is coming down the road, having the new ability to think for a minute before I light the flame thrower, has helped me so much in finding moderation in my emotions and letting them flow at their proper pace and time.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeckoningCat View Post
I've been advised by two different therapists that I can only address this by stopping for at least six months, and more preferably for an entire year. Then and only then would I know if I am an alcoholic if I'm one of those magical unicorns who can eventually drink moderately on special occasions, according to them.

I've been in therapy for years. Not being able to appropriately address feelings or cope is apparently an issue with people across the entire spectrum of substance abuse and addiction, including things like binge eating or sex addiction.

When I was hospitalized back in 2012, I had to detox. My therapist and my case worker both told me that while I was a problem drinker, I might probably get that under control with enough therapy and intervention. I think they told me that because I was in my early 20s and hadn't been drinking for that long. I never did drink moderately though even when I would go long periods with nothing. It was always a binge.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies, all. It's nice to know that my struggle has been witnessed and I feel waaaaay less alienated in all of it.ÂÂÂ I do have some pretty severe anxiety diagnoses and a trauma history and sometimes I just feel so broken and alone. I have access to a therapist which is a huge help but sometimes the prospect of lifelong maintenance is really daunting. Not just lifetime sobriety but lifetime management of all my other ********. Being sober really has helped in a lot of ways--at least I'm not constantly acting out anymore.ÂÂÂ