Notices

Triggers

Old 05-07-2020, 12:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Triggers

Trigger to drink! Work seems to be a big one for me. I struggle and have difficulty in my job.

I went to to work yesterday ate nothing all day and starting drinking and about 11 pm started binge eating which led to me vomitting. This happens to me every week without fail and I have had enough of it.

i have managed over the past 6 weeks to keep my drinking to once a week, so there is some progress.

I have always been too afraid to leave my job and becoming unemployed.

Im not as bad as I was at the start of the year but every time I drink it makes me physically ill and I’m always very depressed the next day.

I envy those who decide to stop drinking and actually do it and stay stopped. There are a lot of people like me who just cannot seem to do that.

I hope everyone is well and if your tempted to drink please don’t do it.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stable,
Being hungry and not eating all day sounds like a recipe for disaster. It would be for me. Regular meals and good food can make a big difference in your ability to avoid binges. It sounds like you're ready to make some changes in your life.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

"I went to to work yesterday ate nothing all day and starting drinking"
Stable, I found that eating always made drinking less appealing to me. Empty stomach and booze is a bad combo.
Please eat.
Have you heard of H.A.L.T? It stands for hungry, angry, lonely, tired. All triggers to drink.

Last edited by 2ndhandrose; 05-07-2020 at 02:24 PM. Reason: (this is the first wonky post I have had!)
Old 05-07-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have no triggers anymore. Over 10 yrs ago I made up my mind I'd never drink again, and so far, I have no desire to drink.

You have to want to be sober more than you want to drink, that was the key for me.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stable
by the end of my drinking everything was a trigger.
I had to work hard on establishing other healthier responses to those things that 'triggered' me.
Not eating all day is really not optimal no matter how busy you are, and especially when you're trying to stay sober.
Hunger can often be interpreted as a craving for alcohol.
D
Old 05-07-2020, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I envy those who decide to stop drinking and actually do it and stay stopped.
It takes more than just deciding to quit. A lot more. If you think that all you have to do is "want" to be sober, then maybe that is where you are faltering.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I envy those who decide to stop drinking and actually do it and stay stopped. There are a lot of people like me who just cannot seem to do that.

I hope everyone is well and if your tempted to drink please don’t do it.

Stable, I am 16 months sober. I am no better or stronger than you, and your bravery in posting is admirable.
But I could not have quit if I had decided to drink once a week. No one can. The likes of you and I are dependent on alcohol. We have to either quit 100% or continue letting alcohol rule (ruin) our lives.
Sorry, but it is your alcohol dependency which is making you drink. It is not triggers or your workplace. Sorry again, but these are excuses to drink. I know as I made all the same excuses too in the past.
Your regular 8 days of sobriety is a good start. I know those 8 days will be tough with cravings, but giving in after 8 days is feeding those cravings. They really do fade away after a matter of weeks.
Do not envy those who have stopped for good. There is no reason why you cannot do the same. Good luck and think how much better your talents could be used without alcohol.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hodd View Post
Stable, I am 16 months sober. I am no better or stronger than you, and your bravery in posting is admirable.
But I could not have quit if I had decided to drink once a week. No one can. The likes of you and I are dependent on alcohol. We have to either quit 100% or continue letting alcohol rule (ruin) our lives.
Sorry, but it is your alcohol dependency which is making you drink. It is not triggers or your workplace. Sorry again, but these are excuses to drink. I know as I made all the same excuses too in the past.
Your regular 8 days of sobriety is a good start. I know those 8 days will be tough with cravings, but giving in after 8 days is feeding those cravings. They really do fade away after a matter of weeks.
Do not envy those who have stopped for good. There is no reason why you cannot do the same. Good luck and think how much better your talents could be used without alcohol.
I'm only on day 2 but I was a 2 week program. The reason I say that in my post was cause I would take all my pain medicine in a weekend then withdrawal then be clean for 10 days or until my refill every 2 weeks I would call in sick during withdrawal. I did this for more than a year thinking it was okay. But it is no way to live , yes I was somewhat a functional guy but every other weekend back to the same cycle. With the help of this forum I truly believe I can change. And for triggers yes we deal with hardship trouble at work and so on. But for me the triggers was the easy justification reason I wanted to get high. It's excuses for me, . I wish you the best on your road to recovery.