Notices

Anyone have to take deep breaths when they wake up?

Old 05-04-2020, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GG7

Anyone have to take deep breaths when they wake up?

Hello Everyone,
Hope everyone is doing well. Hoping to see if anyone every experienced this. Not medical advice just still keeping a log of what symptoms others have gone through that can relate and how long it went on when they stopped drinking. One of the symptoms I have been feeling off and on is when I wake up from sleeping at night I have to sit at the edge of the bed and try to take a deep breath. When I inhale it feels funny like it's not going that deep or something (so hard to explain). I hadn't felt it for a couple of weeks and then recently for a few nights it happened again. Last night I had to get up and really try hard to take a deep breath, then my heart started beating fast, I took deep breaths and tried to relax. Thank the Lord it did eventually relax and I went back to sleep. Before anyone suggests anxiety this is not it. I have had it before years ago and it was not a panicky feeling. There is no panic or nervousness. I can feel something different than I usually do when I inhale. This only happens when I wake up and when I am sleep for hours. It also is accompanied by the heavy achy stiff feeling in my shoulders, and legs, ankles when I wake up. I did mention it to the Dr. when I went for the other symptoms I've had. She listened to my lungs when I inhaled and exhaled and said I sounded great. Just wondering if this is one of those PAWs symptoms or another symptom related to not drinking. Thanks all for the feedback I am over 120 days now and keep waiting for that great day that's supposed to come where I feel great and like a new person because I stopped drinking. I look forward to posting that day for everyone when it gets here
Old 05-04-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you been checked for sleep apnea? Do you snore?

One of the physically noticeable symptoms of breath-holding (when awake) is tense shoulders/neck due to CO2.

Waking up and feeling like you need a deep breath would fall right into that scenario as well.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by GG7 View Post
Before anyone suggests anxiety this is not it.
Sorry to suggest it anyway. Most of your posts are health related. So I was going to say perhaps look into health anxiety. Just from your posts you appear to have an obsessive worry about having a serious medical condition.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is just a thought...I have generalized anxiety and it's not always accompanied by feelings of panic or nervousness. Anxiety can cause any number of physical symptoms. For example, I get tingling in my hands sometimes and I didn't know those feelings were caused by anxiety.

I'm glad you're talking to your doctor about this.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi GG7. I'm going to suggest you get on the phone with a health care person who can talk to you about COVID symptoms. Three of my co-workers tested positive for COVID and had no other symptoms than what you are describing. Check it out to be safe.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GG7

Hello everyone,Â
Thanks for each of your replies. No I haven’t been checked for snoring, etc. but my family tells me I don’t snore. But I think it would be good to maybe get One of those monitors or something to see what I do while I’m sleeping. I don’t think it’s anxiety because I used to have it years ago and the breathlessness I felt with anxiety is very different from this. I can almost feel like a slight movement type feeling in the upper stomach/ lower chest area when I inhale when it happens. Also, regarding the hypochondriac comment ... lol! I promise you that’s not it. I guess I post a lot about health related stuff because no one else seems to understand until I found this form. Otherwise I’m a very healthy person, didn’t have any symptoms of anything until I stopped drinking. Never had a headache, stomach ache, no body stiffness except lower back on occasion from sitting at a computer all day for work,..., none of this stuff. When I go to the doctor they tell me I’m fine which I’m glad to hear but I still can’t ignore that the symptoms I feel are there. It wasn’t until I came on here and I read what others were going through that gave me some relief that something serious isn’t wrong with me.  And also, I definitely don’t have the virus or any other virus thank the LORD!  Went to dr. when I had a sore throat a couple weeks ago and she said absolutely not! Also, the breathlessness when I wake up has been going on for a while now, way before the world virus scare came out. I think I will go back to the dr. or reach out to a sleep dr. It’s  weird how it only happens in my sleep. Thanks again for the replies everyone. Hopefully it will all just go away! Â