Notices

Trying to start over

Old 04-14-2020, 04:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to start over

Hey guys posted on hear awhile ago. I realized in 2016 I was developing some pretty bad habits, During that time I had gone periods of being sober and then would start drinking again... followed by periods of not drinking.

after Christmas this year I stopped completely! I found my joy in life again I went 2 months and really enjoyed being complete sober. I got to the point where I could go out with friends and enjoy their company without beer or alcohol and even had the ability to have 1-3 drinks and cut it off... with no desire for anymore. I had started preparing for a bodybuilding show and was amazed at how my body was changing without alcohol.

In March our state locked down due to Covid. I am still working out and eating well but I started drinking again and hate myself for it. I feel like I am doing it out of boredom and hoping it makes this go faster. I did not drink last night and want to keep this going and am looking for some support. I really thought I was done with this and cannot believe the circumstances that brought me back 😒
Old 04-14-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Golfnut

to me boredom's not a reasonable excuse for drinking.

Action- doing something - is the antidote to boredom...
to me theres nothing more boring than drinking

D
Old 04-14-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Eating healthy and exercise while drinking never worked for me, cancelled each other out. I was never so busy when I was drinking, all I did was drink. I am in lock down solo and challenge myself to something new everyday. Want to join me?
Old 04-14-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your mistake was to have one to three and cut it off. After a while you can not cut it off. Try again and when you are feeling great and can go out with your friends and have a good time don't pick up a drink. You will have a much better time.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Golfnut,

Try to be kind to yourself and get back to working on your recovery. My suggestion would be to come up with a plan to beat the boredom. Find some things you can do at home that you would enjoy - hobbies, music, books, whatever you like. And it might be a good idea to stay away from people using alcohol for awhile, until you feel more confident.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I would adding a long walk to your exercise regime (presuming you are allowed) Physical tiredness is good for combating cravings. Once the current situation ends I would avoid going out with your friends in drinking situations for at least 6 months as the temptation is too great and it never stays at 1 to 3 drinks. You can do it, one day at a time.

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Former BB'er here, I did not drink any alcohol in the 6 months prior to a contest, it messes with your metabolism. I started my diet about 14 weeks out.

I personally think BB'ers have an intense personality, and while it took until I was in my late 30's the alcohol bug bit me pretty hard and I had to admit I was an alcoholic and quit drinking. Quit in 2015 and had a relapse in 2019. Back sober again and very thankful. Wish you the best.