Notices

So so lucky to be sober

Old 04-09-2020, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So so lucky to be sober

I quit drinking in time for me to be sober for my children, my young ones especially, but even for my preteen son for who I now, finally, am able to be the father he deserves.

I quit in time for me to be sober and strong and clear during this horror of a historical moment. I don't have to fight urges to run to some godforsaken liquor store or hide or lie. I can live my life, the only life I will ever be give, with the serene integrity that comes from making the right decisions for myself and my family.

I quit in time for someone who is currently dying to have peace within him knowing that I got myself sober.

As I come up on two years sober, I'm so very grateful for my sobriety. To anyone struggling - nothing is gained by feeding the demon, and so much can be lost. Do the work and earn your right to finally live your one life, along with all its attendant pain and suffering, with peace and strength.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My feelings EXACTLY 😀
Old 04-09-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is very soulful....I WISH I had kept my 8 years so that when my Father died he had the "peace" that I would be ok as he worried about me OH so MUCH.....I was not able to put more than 2 weeks together in the last 5 years...and the last 3 years I spent everyday taking care of him...not drunk....but about 6x in the 3 years I ended in the hospital due to binge drinking and could not show up for a week after that to attend to him.....

You are so, so lucky and it is so so cool that you know it!
Old 04-09-2020, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
...I was not able to put more than 2 weeks together in the last 5 years...and the last 3 years I spent everyday taking care of him...not drunk....but about 6x in the 3 years I ended in the hospital due to binge drinking and could not show up for a week after that to attend to him.....
You_Rock_
Missy....you know your dad was so lucky for you to be there for him in his final days. I bet he was so proud of you. I wish you would not feel guilty because I know you were the biggest blessing for him. Please don't feel guilty...you are a hero. Keep up the good work on being sober!
Old 04-09-2020, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you LessGravity.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Free.

Thank you LessGravity for the post.

Keep up the good fight!

I joined today after creeping the periphery for a couple of years now.
Your words couldn’t be more apt and timely in my life.

The “serene integrity “ of making the next right choice, and, the idea of quitting “feeding the demon” .....so deeply meaningful to me right now.
All things for a reason, I suppose.

I thank you for sharing. Sincerely.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome job!!
Old 04-10-2020, 02:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post. Thanks for sharing 🙏
Old 04-10-2020, 03:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was back bingeing a good bit this time last year. I know If I was drinking now I'd be in huge trouble (worst than normal) as I would have a great excuse to continue drinking due to the current climate. 11 months today btw for me
Old 04-10-2020, 04:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Amen LG, amen.
Old 04-10-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Free.

Congrats, Reid82 on 11 months!
Old 04-10-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fantastic post, LG. Thank you.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When you lose someone you love to death, the pain you feel is commensurate with the joy and love you experienced in your relationship with that person during their life.

That's the deal.

And the narratives we tell ourselves, about what the person meant to us, about whether we can keep the person with us, as a part of who we are, about whether it's possible to honor them, can be directed by asking whether we are living a life they would have wanted for us. For me, chasing down another bottle to empty was never going to be that life.

Proud to be sober today.

​​​​
Old 04-13-2020, 09:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thank you for your posts, lessgravity. They help me and this community. I'm sorry for your great loss.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
I quit drinking in time for me to be sober for my children, my young ones especially, but even for my preteen son for who I now, finally, am able to be the father he deserves.

I quit in time for me to be sober and strong and clear during this horror of a historical moment. I don't have to fight urges to run to some godforsaken liquor store or hide or lie. I can live my life, the only life I will ever be give, with the serene integrity that comes from making the right decisions for myself and my family.

I quit in time for someone who is currently dying to have peace within him knowing that I got myself sober.

As I come up on two years sober, I'm so very grateful for my sobriety. To anyone struggling - nothing is gained by feeding the demon, and so much can be lost. Do the work and earn your right to finally live your one life, along with all its attendant pain and suffering, with peace and strength.
Thanks for the eloquent, heart-felt post, LG.

And congrats on your sober time.

We sure value your input on these forums.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Way to go, LG!