Notices

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 3

Old 04-07-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Norway has started to open things up again. The youngest kids in school and in kindergarten start in two weeks, and those who are finishing high school and higher degrees can come back to school/university in three weeks. My partner is delighted that physical therapists can start seeing patients again. I'm wondering if this will cause a second wave.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday / Happy Easter to Bonniefloyd's daughter on her 10th!

Here's a cake idea for Bonniefloyd from my local bakery's shelves:

Properly intimidated? How about something on a smaller scale?:

Lol it's a universal message, in the boardroom, on the dance floor, at the easel, or in the kitchen:

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Bake away, moms and dads!
Old 04-07-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
Norway has started to open things up again. The youngest kids in school and in kindergarten start in two weeks, and those who are finishing high school and higher degrees can come back to school/university in three weeks. My partner is delighted that physical therapists can start seeing patients again. I'm wondering if this will cause a second wave.
Pretty sure(actually totally positive) it will. If one person in china can spread it around the world then I would think hundreds of thousands of people around the world can bring it back to norway. Unless they have a closed border and no existing cases.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:19 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
I agree with Abraham that it'll likely cause a second wave, which is probably inevitable anyway, given that reliable vaccine is unlikely to be available to the public within the coming few weeks/months and things just cannot remain shut down to the same extent for many months. I wonder why schools though - they are probably not the businesses that generate the most profit to pull the economy out of the hole, and kids might be significant asymptomatic spreaders (although there is no evidence for the latter right now). Opening schools would surely take a lot of burden off the shoulder of adult caregivers though, who can work from home but lose productivity due to the children being around all the time.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
Happy Birthday / Happy Easter to Bonniefloyd's daughter on her 10th!

Here's a cake idea for Bonniefloyd from my local bakery's shelves:

Properly intimidated? How about something on a smaller scale?:

Lol it's a universal message, in the boardroom, on the dance floor, at the easel, or in the kitchen:

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Bake away, moms and dads!
Love this! That’s exactly what I’m doing to do — cupcakes with something cute on top. Easy peasy. Kiddo won’t mind as long as it’s chocolate. 😄
Old 04-07-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I keep hearing a lot of talk(not here) about a second wave. I keep thinking we should wait and see if the first wave goes away first. Then lets worry about a second wave. We are on the up swing of the first wave. It is supposed to get way worse before it gets better. Tons are dying, no cure, we have no idea how or when this will stop but yet there is talk about if we will have a second wave.
Sorry, my rant is over.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post

Kiddo won’t mind as long as it’s chocolate. 😄
I concur.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:46 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I honestly think that humanity just can't stand the shutdown even for a few weeks. I hear from colleagues all the time talking about plans for reopening work, some spend more time talking about this than what they have or can accomplish from home (these are mostly people who can work from home perfectly). I really think it is the same drive/discomfort that make so many people disagreeable about social distancing, complain not being able to live live as normal and sneak out when they can etc. Lack of patience and overly impulsive decision making.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:04 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Yea, I'm going on my third week off work. Still patiently waiting some unemployment money. Of course I would like to start work. Part of me says lets get back. The thing is to me though is that we should do one or the other. And we already started one thing. If we switch back to the other thing this whole deal would have been pointless. We would be right back to where we were AND the economy has to re start. Should have just not stopped (the economy) in the first place in that case. We started one thing, we should see it through. My feeling is ofcourse we wont though. In our country the pres has some big choices to make that effect us a lot. I hope he makes the right ones. I can sit like this for a long time with no problem as long as the money is coming in. Stop that though and I will have serious problems real quick. The money cant go on forever. We may be forced to "ride it out" in the long run any way. Then the damage to our economy would have been for nothing. Then again all the deaths associated with riding it out probably would have hurt the economy anyway. Mucked up situation.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:03 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
p***enger

My employment (a public university) has decided city-wide to remain online only through the end of the summer.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Yes....I don't know about other places, but the shelter in place is continuing here (Ohio) until at least the beginning of May and possibly longer.

Thinking of you dear courage.....stay safe. s ❤️
Old 04-07-2020, 11:18 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Mi canceled k-12 school till next year.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:26 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

shelter in place is getting voted on here in MI. Seems the republicans would like it to not continue. The other side wants it to get extended.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

Shelter in place in Ontario until end of June, unless that changes.

Schools will remain closed, but online teaching began today, which will be helpful for parents who are trying to work from home.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:11 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Wow, end of June. Gulp.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

vaccine not due till way longer. That will be when we can go back safely. Till then nothing much changes. Still a large percentage of the population who have not contracted the virus yet. Nothing to stop them from getting it after June. Hopefully we will get some treatments so not as many will die but it will require a vaccine to make sure most of us stop getting the thing. I imagine the more ventilators they can build the higher the peak can get without overwhelming the hospital. Which is why we are doing this. Its not killing the bug, its just slowing it down. Whenever we go back to normal it will take off again, till a vaccine. Sounds like that wont be till christmas 2021ish baring a miracle.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:27 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

arena owners are worried they will have to remove 75% of their seating. Hardly even a use for a stadium like that in that situation. Lucky for them they have a lot more $ padding then I do.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
I honestly think that humanity just can't stand the shutdown even for a few weeks. .
To be fair, it's not exactly the blitz. I'm sure there'll be a lot of frustration, but the majority have internet, food, medication etc. I'm more worried about our economies that were already tied together with string.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:43 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Yea, its sitting at home watching tv or gardening or hobbies etc.... Yea, we will muck that up also. If one cant handle that.........
As far as the economy, that aught to be interesting. I was doing great this year. Finally had a steady job for the first time since 07. Now I'm waiting on an unemployment check to give away to my banks.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
My employment (a public university) has decided city-wide to remain online only through the end of the summer.
Mine too

I actually am really starting to get the hang of working from home and will not mind my Summer class being online either.

I've kinda shocked myself how quickly I have happily abandoned the Gregorian calendar. I kinda like "a day" and "sometime" and "now" more than I thought my compulsive self ever could.

I think we will have a new version of "normal" after this. It will have positive and negative attributes. There is a koan that says something like "you can't see your reflection the same way in a shattered mirror, or put the flower petals back on the stem of the flower once they've fallen".

This will be like that. How we revise / re-vision ourselves in this paradigm shift is important, and I think we have a little more agency over this if we choose to exercise it.

i.e., a shattered mirror still reflects, and arguably with more options and interesting variations of self. Flower petals fall, but when they do, they have created seeds which carry on the next generations.

I'm not trying to be too light in a dark time.
This is just the pattern that has repeated throughout history. We cannot control this input except through controlling ourselves.

Resilience is a far stronger material than fear.
Recovering addicts have a pretty good share of resilience to get very far in recovery. Let's take some strength from that.