Notices

Memory Deficits in Early Recovery

Old 04-03-2020, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Memory Deficits in Early Recovery

So I'm finding myself struggling with short-term memory just a bit. You know, like going to the washing machine again and standing there dumbfounded for a moment - oh, I already put the fabric softener in. Or looking for something in the fridge while cooking a meal and realizing I'd already put an item on the counter. That sort of thing has been happening some. I'm sure it probably happened to me all the time when I was drinking and I just gave it no notice. Have some of you dealt with memory problems in early recovery, and how long might I expect this to last? Hoping this is fleeting part of recovery.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have stuff like that going on.

Could be I'm getting older...could be the years of drinking, or the ministrokes I had.

In your case it might simply be your brain healing itself after years of drinking?

D
Old 04-03-2020, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It takes time to heal and get back to normal functioning. Memory gaps are common. As long as you're eating, sleeping, and exercising, things should start improving. But give time time. We did the damage over a period of time and it will take some time to repair it.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have stuff like that going on.

Could be I'm getting older...could be the years of drinking, or the ministrokes I had.

In your case it might simply be your brain healing itself after years of drinking?

D
Dee I'm so sorry about the ministrokes. That must've been so tough to deal with. Yes, I'm praying I'm just in healing mode.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
It takes time to heal and get back to normal functioning. Memory gaps are common. As long as you're eating, sleeping, and exercising, things should start improving. But give time time. We did the damage over a period of time and it will take some time to repair it.

You're right Least, I need to be more patient with myself, with this process.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I remember opening refrigerator doors and closets without knowing why way back in my early teens, long before the thought of drinking ever occurred to me. Who knows why you are doing it. I guess I just think it's natural.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It was definitely part of my healing process. Now, I like to think I'm charmingly distracted at times

It all gets better as we stay sober and take care of ourselves. It isn't a linear process for most of us and while I was scared that the aphasia (ie grasping for the right words, in my case) would be permanent and so grateful when it passed.

I do think stress impacts my mild dottiness, and now is certainly a time to give ourselves a pass on this kind of thing for sure.

You're doing great. Glad you are here Lillith.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm 4+ months sober and that sounds like par for the course Lillith. I try to remember that a momentary lapse that you can immediately recover from is so preferable to not remembering the last few days. Or not being able to find my home with my daughters in the car. Right-sized, those fleeting moments I have now as you describe, are easy to deal with. Give yourself some time.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. So I'm going to assume this is normal in my recovery and not stress about it. Like has been brought up, this is far better than what I was dealing with before. Priceless perspective for sure.