Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus (why I don't get scared) Vs. Alcohol Deaths - globally

Notices

Coronavirus (why I don't get scared) Vs. Alcohol Deaths - globally

Old 03-25-2020, 02:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I hear you Steely. The definition of intellectualising some thing is below and that is exactly what I see happening here.

In psychology, intellectualization is a defense mechanism by which reasoning is used to block confrontation with an unconscious conflict and its associated emotional stress – where thinking is used to avoid feeling.[1] It involves removing one's self, emotionally, from a stressful event.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think the media has actually been quite responsible on this one. Most of the time, I would not give them such credit, but most of the articles I've read seem to lay out facts, statistics, and recommended practices from knowledgeable experts. I don't get the feeling they are trying to spread panic, but the facts are grim enough to warrant new social behaviors and better hygienic habits.

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so." - Mark Twain
Old 03-25-2020, 02:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good one MantaLady, and understand the psych. definition.

I was taking you to mean true intellect and reasoning in understanding something. In this case exponential growth.

Nice to meet you MantaLady.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

coronavirus is nothing to me.
I'm glad for you - but it might kill me..it may kill a lot of other people too..

I appreciate that you were perhaps trying to set folks mind at ease and you're certainly entitled to your opinion Mathematics....

and I'm entitled to ask you to take it to PM or another site.

This is not a discussion leading anywhere.

I don't want to spend the time I have here referreeing fights,

Lets all pull together.

thread closed
2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Dee
Administrator
SR