Notices

Gonna vent here

Old 03-18-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I worry about the pandemic some. I'm in the high risk group being over 70, with occasional asthma, and having lived 40 years near a mine that belched asbestos into air. I don't fear the idea of dying, but I'd rather not spend my last days starring at it in the face, either.

This is the extreme example of having no control over something else. Manage this situation with a bit of grace and dignity, and consider it personal growth. I know it's hard, but if you miss the flu this year, there will probably be a flu shot for it next year.

The statistics for your survival are still very much in your favor.
Wise words DriGuy, appreciate the post.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I feel your pain, brother! As a guy who has turned to fitness as a huge part of recovery, I suggest you check out some of the streaming fitness classes. There are a ton out there and a bunch of them are completely free. I won't link to any here, but you can easily search for them. I plug my laptop into my big old TV and stream them right onto my TV. Works great. Try it!
Old 03-18-2020, 10:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff

Ha! I hear ya. I was ready to blow this morning. My kid is home now (dorms closed all classes on line). I won't go into details but with a house that is in week 7 of a remodel, 1 room for the dog, cat, kid and me, tensions are a bit high. And she is sort of regressing emotionally (come to think of it, so am I) so I'm ready to ring her neck. I'm more ready to ring mine because I know, for certain, how I respond to her, them, it, everything is on me.

I was driving to pick up some stupid expensive back splash and the thought actually crossed my mind to pick up booze. Wtf? So I started loudly saying to myself 'Her life is hers. Yours is yours. Do you. Let her do her". Or something to that effect. I let **** get to me so much sometimes.

Brothers making me angry. Mom dying in a skilled nursing home and no one can visit. My brother sent me a video of her trying to pick up a pencil, face sagging to the left, not able to speak. Yay. Great news. How uplifting? She can pick up a pencil. Poor old girl.

Dog getting mud on the new carpet. Stupid chandelier in the entry hall is going to require an ME to put together. Hahaha.

And then there's reality. Deep breaths. Yoga. Yoga. Yoga. Walk. Sleep. Eat healthy. Chop wood, carry water.

I relate tho. So glad I don't have a partner, quite frankly. I'm pretty sure whoever that poor soul is would be chopped in small pieces and buried in the back yard.

Do 100 burpees. That's a work out! Lol. Hang in there.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Maybe if you spend enough quality time with her, she will beg you to get a bike and get out of the house for a while.

I screwed up the simplest of tasks. My wife finally was able to reserve a time to pick up groceries she selected online. She asks me to review the order and add anything she missed. She then said "checkout". You know push the button to complete. I had 20 minutes before the pickup timeslot expired.,
I was working on it. She picked a lot of stuff. The last thing I remember was feeling very sleepy. And trying to decide if I wanted to order the Goober peanut butter and grape jelly combination in a jar. Next thing I know, she is fresh from the shower asking me what happened? I fell asleep and we lost the timeslot.
I'm very tired. Now apparently the earliest we will have Goober grape, chicken, and 82 other items is Friday. I doubt I will be in charge of pushing the final button next time.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

push ups, sit ups, pull ups, etc... all work great. Using your own body wieght and cardio is a pretty obvious how one can do that not in a gym. No reason you cant get a great workout still. Just sayin. Dont drink though. You know it wont help. I understand the feeling but its just a feeling. Nothing that needs to be put into action
Edit. LOL. I just read the rest of your post. Sorry. I think buying a bike is a great idea. Good time to get out anyway. Besides, buy what you want if its your money. What she says is merely a suggestion if its you money.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cycling is helping to keep me sane; the fresh air and nature is very helpful. I would look into a bicycle-you can find some bargains.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Best cheap indoor workout is a jump rope! Best you can't do it hard for a minute!
Old 03-18-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I am wishing I had a functioning bicycle right now. I will have to make do with walking. But I do miss biking. I might see if the local bike place is open and take my old bike to get fixed up. Give them some business.

Jeff, you know you shouldn't drink. Vent away if it helps. Try to give your wife space. Get out walking if the bike thing doesn't work out. This is rough on everyone, and there's a lot we can't control. We can control our behavior towards others, and we can control whether or not we stay sober. I'm concentrating on those things I can control right now. It will keep me from losing my sanity.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lines View Post
Maybe if you spend enough quality time with her, she will beg you to get a bike and get out of the house for a while.

I screwed up the simplest of tasks. My wife finally was able to reserve a time to pick up groceries she selected online. She asks me to review the order and add anything she missed. She then said "checkout". You know push the button to complete. I had 20 minutes before the pickup timeslot expired.,
I was working on it. She picked a lot of stuff. The last thing I remember was feeling very sleepy. And trying to decide if I wanted to order the Goober peanut butter and grape jelly combination in a jar. Next thing I know, she is fresh from the shower asking me what happened? I fell asleep and we lost the timeslot.
I'm very tired. Now apparently the earliest we will have Goober grape, chicken, and 82 other items is Friday. I doubt I will be in charge of pushing the final button next time.
That's really funny, thank you for that. And I totally understand.
Old 03-20-2020, 10:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

So when I wrote the OP, I did need to vent. It blew over like it always does.

That being said, these are definitely trying times, and I don't think I am alone in saying that if not for sobriety and healthy life c choices, we could get bogged down in the mud. My wife and I went to the store to buy fruit and next to the grocery store is a liquor store.....there was a line going outside of the store for people to get in and buy alcohol. crazy. We have been lucky and have enough food, TP, and Clorox wipes to keep us safe for a period of time. None of it my doing, my wife is a saint and makes sure we are prepared and taken care of.

In times like this, I do really feel we need to stick together (even online) and support one another. Hang in there...this too shall pass. Yes?
Old 03-20-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yes, thomas11, we must hang together.

As Benjamin Franklin at the signing of the U.S. Declaration of Independence:

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

More prosaically: We may all find new reasons to need to blow off steam under the increasing pressure of the coming weeks. I agree, t11, let's remember that this is one place we can do it safely and soberly.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thomas, vent away. I'm venting too, and then I'm avoiding other people's vents. It's a non-fun roller coaster ride. Whether you think of it one day at a time, or think you're in it for the long haul, pace your emotions. I'm trying to take everything slow & focus on the good parts, like spring, and spontaneous demonstrations of generosity and care.

To me, right now, the thought of drinking is 90% grotesque. I admit I have a pang when I walk by a liquor store -- classified as an essential business in NYC. But it's easy to walk on by when you don't want to touch a door, or a bottle someone else put on the shelf, or the credit card machine....
Old 03-20-2020, 09:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
That's really funny, thank you for that. And I totally understand.
I did it ! I pushed the button today and submitted the grocery order!
But, she watched me.