Notices

Anhedonia

Old 02-23-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I am currently 6 weeks sober and so far feeling great. But when I quit for 6 months about 4 years ago, anhedonia was a huge problem, and along with mega-anxiety, those were probably the two major reasons I resumed drinking.

For me, anhedonia was about not enjoying all the things that used to bring joy...food , music, friendship- nothing. It felt way more physiologic than psychologic. It shared features with depression... but wasn’t really depression.

I am primed to watch for it in my current sobriety, though not sure what will help. Maybe exercise? the more strenuous, the better. Meditation? Meds, I don’t think so, but talk therapy maybe to get through it?
Mine was episodic not constant, hope yours is too. Knowing it will pass, and only comes and goes, helped me cope.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm a depressive so anhedonia is a somewhat constant part of life for me. I have been on an SSRI for some 30 years and it has really helped. Exercise helps too.

Other than that, I can feel good about being productive so if I can get myself doing a teeny tiny bit of anything, it is good. Also I'm a bit of an empath so I can pick up a bit on others' joy.

This february has not been great. I just keep grinding through the days and am grateful for anytime my spirits lift a bit.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'll be coming up on three years in July of this year. After I came out of the pink cloud, I haven't been very excited about things, not as excited about (career/relationship/hobbies/anything) like I was when I was drinking. I've lost my drive, but maybe that's because I'm not constantly angry anymore. Maybe my testosterone levels have taken a dump? Career used to drive me (across the country three times and through four states.) but not anymore. I have a good job, but it's just a job.

I am trying new hobbies and trying to advance my life in positive ways now. We're looking for a house, progressing in my new job path (plumbing instead of brewing), and trying to live healthy. There are these problems, but at least I'm not drinking. I'll keep trying till I can find life's 'shine' again.

Maybe I'm comparing life now to 'drinking' life? Any thoughts? Old hobbies don't really do it for me anymore. Reading this post makes me sound like a hypocrite when I tell new members that things get better. They do get better, but it's not the end of the problems. Maybe I haven't found what I need yet?

Thanks.