Notices

Unchartered Territory

Old 02-18-2020, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unchartered Territory

Hi, this is all so strange to me because I've never quit so I just want to know if this stuff is "normal". I haven't had many cravings until today, day 5 and it's not horrible today.

But I've been exhausted, and brain fog...it's difficult to work, I can't concentrate and can't remember simple things.

I'm terrible at hydrating on a normal day and having a really hard time with that.

When I do feel like eating, I'm eating healthy but more often than not, I just don't feel like it. My digestive system is whacked!

I also know I should be meditating and starting yoga again but I just don't feel like it.

I just want to lay in my bed and read all these books about recovery.

I want to be proud and energized but I almost feel depressed.

Any input would be SO WELCOME, thank you!
Old 02-18-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your mind and body is recovering from being poisoned - quite literally. So give yourself a break - treat yourself like you would if you were recovering from any other illness. Hey the energised whatever will come, just don’t drink - anything else is just completely unimportant (unless you’ve got children I guess)

good luck
Old 02-18-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Fly. No kids, so I will just concentrate on me and not put pressure on myself about all this stuff!
Old 02-18-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 5 days of sobriety! Above all, be kind to yourself through this period. Eating well is really important and even if you don't feel much like eating, make sure you are putting something nutritious in your body. Try to find things that are easily digestible such as rice, applesauce, etc if you have tummy issues. And, drinking water is also really important. Fill a water bottle and keep it with you throughout the day.

You could start off with very easy exercising such as simply going for a walk or doing some stretching at home. You will likely feel more interested in exercising as days go by.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome! It's great to hear that you care enough about yourself to do this! Stay close to SR. Read and post questions if you need to. Unlimited. Open 24/7. Best wishes!
Old 02-18-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You should be proud. 5 days!!
Old 02-18-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats! I have quit a number of times...feeling tired, exhausted even, has definitely been part of what I have experienced. Brain fog, for sure, very normal. I quit last month, and am practicing patience in coping with all of these symptoms. Your body might want lighter food for a bit, nothing wrong with that especially since you mentioned eating healthily. Staying hydrated will be helpful, water is always good, but see if you can find drinks you enjoy , sparkling water, maybe mixed with juice, soda, fruit juice, smoothies, lemonade. Great start, stay with it!
Old 02-18-2020, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marleysmama View Post
I just want to lay in my bed and read all these books about recovery.
And why not?! I think it is an under-reported but massive help in recovery, reading everything you can about it (and watching films too). It puts recovery right at the forefront of your mind, where it needs to be right now
Old 02-18-2020, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me, the worst part of recovery were those first days. They were just horrible. But it gets better after that, and after that, it gets better some more. My problems those early days were different than yours, but others here have had experiences like you. I can understand your concern. I guess you could talk to your doctor about it if you don't see some improvement in a couple of weeks. But I think you are going to be fine.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal, at least it was for me, to feel a bit 'off' in early recovery. And at 5 days, you're just getting out of the acute physical withdrawal. So of course you feel crappy and unmotivated. With more sobriety you'll start feeling better and more capable. Early days can be rough. Eat good food, rest when you're tired, and some gentle exercise can help too. I find a short walk with my dog and I feel recharged.

Stay sober! It gets better.