Notices

30 days today and Update about the tingling

Old 01-26-2020, 06:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
GG7

30 days today and Update about the tingling

Hello Everyone,
I pray everyone is doing well today and getting better and better on their journey each day. I wanted to post an update to one of my original threads about tingling in hands and feet. Some of you replied and were kind enough to give your input on it. So back story...approximately 2 months ago I felt tingling in my right hand and it freaked me out. It did not go away the next day and within a week or so also started feeling it in my feet then some in my legs. I immediately stopped drinking and went on a full on cleanse and changed my diet, started exercising 5 days a week, lost 20 pounds so far (yay), and have changed my lifestyle to a much healthier one. I went to the doctor to eliminate things it could've been from, had several blood tests done, and finally went to see a neurologists last week.
My blood test revealed low vitamin D, total Iron a bit low, vitamin E low, however, Vitamin B6 almost considered higher than normal...about 2 points away from above normal, and vitamin B12 was normal but in the higher range of normal. The neurologist did an EMG test and immediately asked me had I been taking a bunch of vitamins. I told him yes and that I had been taking a vitamin B mega complex pill, along with vitamins and other supplements. He told me to stop taking all the B vitamins even though only the vitamin B6 was almost past the normal range. Since the tingling in hands and feet it has moved to my face too, and now as of this week started feeling almost painful muscle type aches in my upper back/shoulder, fingers, and legs and feet. I am so confused because it sounds like what some describe here as withdraw symptoms. I told the Dr. that I had been drinking at least one bottle of wine a day for a long time and stopped drinking 2 months ago, except for a couple glasses of wine a month ago. He said if it was related to alcohol he would be able to tell on the test. I am of course relieved but still wonder if I should call him and ask him to look again...lol! Not funny but, this has not been fun at all. Now even if it's not from alcohol, I want nothing to do with alcohol even more just knowing it could cause this type of thing just because someone decides they want nothing to do with it anymore. Anyone experience this and was told it was due to vitamins vs. alcohol? And has anyone had these tingling feelings get worse after stopping? I just want it to go away asap. It's very discouraging. Thanks for reading. Oh and just incase @53500 reads this too who offered advice about the metal fillings...just an FYI I got them all removed last week. So praying maybe that helps too
Old 01-26-2020, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I got nothing for you GG7 except that nerve pain, neuropathy, tingling, needles, numbness and all that seem to be a common thread topic here on SR. I know that does nothing for you but it does indicate that there are some things many of us go through getting sober, and some of those things linger for a long long time. Some of the long term sober folks report that, unfortunately, that stuff fades away over time. I hope you agree with me that drinking more will only add more unknowns to what we already don't know.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've had anxiety, and I've had neuropathy, both of which can cause tingling, pins and needles, numbness, as you describe. But it mightn't be either in your case GG7. I really don't know.

These symptoms are improving for me.

I'd give it a bit of time 'til the B vitamins have left your system.

Supplements and additional vitamins are not as innocuous as we have ourselves believe. More, is not necessarily better.

See your neurologist if things don't improve.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Gg7, thanks for the update! I’m sorry to hear this tingling is still a problem. . I had it in my face, too and it was so disturbing sometimes I’d slap my face just to stop it (or distract from it anyway), momentarily.

I’m glad you got the amalgam fillings replaced. Did you ever get the metal toxin test? It’s better not to have those metal fillings, even if they are not the cause now.

Praying for a full recovery!
Old 01-26-2020, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
GG7

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
Hi Gg7, thanks for the update! I’m sorry to hear this tingling is still a problem. . I had it in my face, too and it was so disturbing sometimes I’d slap my face just to stop it (or distract from it anyway), momentarily.

I’m glad you got the amalgam fillings replaced. Did you ever get the metal toxin test? It’s better not to have those metal fillings, even if they are not the cause now.

Praying for a full recovery!
Hi 53500,

Thanks, yes I’m prayerful I’ll see an improvement soon. I took a metal blood test last week but did it through a regular MD not a homeopathic doctor. I requested it and not sure if I even selected the right one. He wasn’t very helpful in that area, as you experienced with the doctor you saw when bringing up the possibility of it being the amalgam fillings. They’re mailing me the results ...didn’t get them yet. How long after you removed it did the symptoms go away? I think you said a couple weeks right?
Old 01-26-2020, 08:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GG7

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I've had anxiety, and I've had neuropathy, both of which can cause tingling, pins and needles, numbness, as you describe. But it mightn't be either in your case GG7. I really don't know.

These symptoms are improving for me.

I'd give it a bit of time 'til the B vitamins have left your system.

Supplements and additional vitamins are not as innocuous as we have ourselves believe. More, is not necessarily better.

See your neurologist if things don't improve.
Glad to hear your symptoms are improving. Yes, I’m waiting it out and looking forward to seeing improvement hopefully soon. I feel weird not taking any vitamins though since we are always told they help with recovery.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The symptoms did not go away immediately after getting the amalgam fillings replaced - obviously I had metal in my body - but it was not a long time. Maybe a couple of weeks to get noticeably less, and somewhat more time to go away 100%.

The test that showed the high metal level was a urine test where I had to collect urine for 24 hours and then send it to a lab. It took a few days to come back. My holistic guy was the only one who ordered that test for me and explained the results. My regular internist, a neurologist and the ER did the "pee in a cup" urine tests but whatever they tested for, it all came back normal.

The neurologist was utterly dismissive of the results of the 24-hour urine test. He came highly recommended but was horrible for me.

I did not have the muscle aches you describe but I did have dizziness, sometimes bad, sometimes mild. Like, if I was standing still I felt like I was moving. Sometimes I had it when lying down which was incredibly disturbing. I went to an ENT (why not throw another doctor into the mix) and he found nothing wrong but he gave me exercises for it which helped.

I hope you find someone who helps you! It's very difficult to keep trying and not get better. Maybe the metal blood tests will show something.